It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Stroke Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2009, 10:26 AM   #1
(female)

Georgette HB User
Carotid artery blockage treatment

My mom was just told that she has an 80-90% blockage in her carotid artery. It was discovered following surgery for a broken hip, which she suffered after falling during one of her recent dizzy spells. The doctor told her that the only thing stopping her from having a major stroke is the fact that she is already on blood thinners for her heart condition (4 angioplasties and a double heart bypass). Has anyone gone through surgery or any other type of treatment for this condition? I am assuming that surgery is probably the best option seeing that it is so severely blocked.

Old 01-06-2009, 11:40 AM   #2
(female)

hectaffy HB User
Re: Carotid artery blockage treatment

I had 95% blockage in my right carotid artery. Had surgery and spent the night in the hospital and went home the next day. Did fine. Can't even see the scar now. Glad I had it done.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-12-2009, 10:03 AM   #3
(female)

Georgette HB User

Thanks for your response. What symptoms did you experience leading up to your diagnosis? I'm concerned that my mom might fall and hurt herself again before getting treatment. She is being released from the hospital on Thursday because she is fine from an orthopedic perspective, but the thought of her wandering around her house by herself (she lives alone) worries me a lot.

Old 01-27-2009, 08:34 AM   #4
(female)

next2u HB User

My mom is 73 and had her right carotid done, it was 95% blocked, PLEASE make sure that you ask the doctor about the blockage returning after the surgery. In 4 weeks we were back in the hospital and it is now 100% blocked and the left is 43% blocked. They said that the chance for further blockage is always there when there are blockages around the aorta. She is on meds, but I have chosen to not give them all due to the fact they increase the dizzy spells and the vision in the right eye has been affected. She has a constant headache in the right side, this due to the bolckage.
I wish you the best of luck, but don't forget to write down lots of questions and make sure you get all the answers! God Bless

Old 02-02-2009, 10:01 AM   #5
(male)

glen22222 HB User

Actually doctors have mentioned that it is best for the arteries to be either 100% open or 100% blocked. You have four arteries feeding the Circle of Willis that supplies blood to the brain. 3 or even 2 arteries are enough to supply blood to the brain. Ask your doctor about why they didn't inform you of these facts. Blockage by itself is not the problem, tearing of the plaque causing the blockage is the real problem. Ask your doctor to give you the complete explanation.

Last edited by glen22222; 02-02-2009 at 10:05 AM.

Old 02-03-2009, 07:46 AM   #6
(female)

next2u HB User

The only problem that my mom had was, dizzy spells and a mild TIA, minor slurred speech. It was the ER doctor that found this. After she was released from the hospital she came to live with me. We take each day as it comes. She has many other health issues, so each surgery is different, I know several others who had the same surgery and they are doing just fine, like nothing ever happened. Good luck and may healing hands be placed upon your mom and you.. Keep us posted.

Old 04-05-2009, 05:35 PM   #7
(female)

ADA EASTMAN HB User

I was 69 years old. Happy and active. My doctor said my right artery which had been blocked was now 74% unblocked and i needed a procedure with perhaps a stent but would probably go home that night. A stroke happened when the dye was injected. They actually watched the stroke happen. My whole left side was affected. The therapist got me up too early and my knee went back-- stretching legiments, etc. So painful...along with the very painful spasms i have had since the stroke! Then a therapist put me on a treadmill in january-07... When i was taking my first steps! She said she would be right back..i told her my left leg was so heavy and tired..she told me not to worry and left, i went under...breaking my foot horribly, bending it in half and tearing ligaments and soft tissue. I am just now recovering from that. I still go to my drs. And therapists but not happily!! How can i trust them? I still have to walk with a hemi cane and wheelchair for any distance. I have worked and worked. I workout with saebo and nustep. I am so tired!!!!

The following user gives a hug of support to ADA EASTMAN:
wagle2719501 (07-27-2011)
Old 04-17-2009, 08:36 AM   #8
(male)

allfulcher HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgette View Post
My mom was just told that she has an 80-90% blockage in her carotid artery. It was discovered following surgery for a broken hip, which she suffered after falling during one of her recent dizzy spells. The doctor told her that the only thing stopping her from having a major stroke is the fact that she is already on blood thinners for her heart condition (4 angioplasties and a double heart bypass). Has anyone gone through surgery or any other type of treatment for this condition? I am assuming that surgery is probably the best option seeing that it is so severely blocked.

Old 04-17-2009, 08:42 AM   #9
(male)

allfulcher HB User

Hi,
The operation is done under a local anaesthetic and takes approximately 90 minutes. I would recommend that your mother has it done.
My right carotid artery is 100% blocked so the neorosurgeon is unable to operate.

Good Luck

Allan Fulcher

Old 04-23-2009, 03:53 AM   #10
(male)

allfulcher HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgette View Post
Thanks for your response. What symptoms did you experience leading up to your diagnosis? I'm concerned that my mom might fall and hurt herself again before getting treatment. She is being released from the hospital on Thursday because she is fine from an orthopedic perspective, but the thought of her wandering around her house by herself (she lives alone) worries me a lot.
My symptoms are numbness and pain in my left arm from my fingertips to my shoulder. Also I was occasionally going blind in my right eye for about 3-4 minutes due to particals breaking away from the carotid artery.
Dizziness is also a major problem. The neorosurgeon is unable to operate due to the artery being fully blocked.

Allan.

Last edited by allfulcher; 04-23-2009 at 03:54 AM.

Old 05-12-2009, 10:56 PM   #11
(female)

mikilyn HB User

My dad passed away of a massive stroke on May 1st and we found out that just 2 weeks ago, he was diagnosed with a blocked carotid artery and they had just put him on Plavix and a baby aspirin each day, 3 days after days, this stoke took his life. I'm trying to put the pieces together to see if there was any connection.... he was only 73.

Closed Thread