It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Stroke Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2009, 02:02 PM   #1
(male)

garyf42 HB User
vomiting after a cerebellum stroke

My husband, age 42 had a cerebellum stroke one month ago. He's been in and out of the hospital ever since because of vomiting. He's been on anti nausea medicines but cannot hold much down. About 3 weeks after the stoke he was readmitted for bleeding on his brain. His first stroke was caused from a clot. He has had severe constipation so we are not sure if the vomiting is coming from the constipation or the remaining blood on his brain. Is vomiting a common side effect after a cerebellum stroke?

Old 05-30-2011, 03:54 PM   #2
(male)

rosen stefanov HB User
Re: vomiting after a cerebellum stroke

Hi GaryF42,

Just read your post about the after effects of the cerebellum stroke.
How is you husband doing now?

I started looking about nausea and vomiting after a Cerebellum stroke and found your post.

My mother had a cerebellum "stroke"-malformation of some blood vessels in her cerebellum from which there was a blood leak.

My mum has no other damage except the nausea constipation and now vomiting. Her memory is intact and all the movement is there except some slight misbalance when walking (itís only been 20 days since the stroke)

The doctors wanted to operate but my mum decided that if itís her time so be it. (didnít want to risk if the operation wasn't successful and left her with any damage.

Cut the long story short she is been home now for two weeks and except some high blood pressure in the first two days she 's been on the mend since.

It was all looking positive until two days agoÖ

She has had constipation which hasn't gone since her having the stroke 20 days ago.

We gave her some medicine for it (syrups and stuff) but now luck. We had to do a colonic irrigation few times now.

We thought that the reason for the constipation could have been the lack of variety in her diet. (Since she wasnít eating much and mainly dry food.)

So Iíve made sure she had some salads (lettuce) and some fruits (orange, cherries and watermelon) but there was still no improvement with her constipation.

Yesterday (Sunday) she started feeling some pains in her stomach like if there is build up of acidity. She vomited once in the afternoon and then ones before going to bed. Both times it happened after sheís been to the toilet (been up and then going back to bed when the dizziness is so bad that makes her vomit)

Today (Monday) she was fine all day but when got up to brush her teeth and gone back to bed the vomiting happened again. She describes it as if when she goes back to bed she gets dizzy and that dizziness makes her vomit.

The strangest thing is that she is so alert so witty like sheís always been but not eating a lot and vomiting for second day made her look very frail

Do you know from experience what we can do to help her with dizziness the vomiting and the constipation?

It makes me hurt seeing her suffer and I feel so bad that I canít help her. The doctors (here in Bulgaria) seem so clueless that I realized that I have to look elsewhere for help and advise.

Please let me know if there is anything (even if itís available only in US) that helps with those symptoms.

Thank you in advance

Rosen Stefanov

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-28-2011, 03:52 AM   #3
(male)

Getwell1 HB User

Rosen, Could you provide some update on the current condition of your post? My mom suffered the same and she can't stop vomitting and having stomach accidity. How is the progress?Has anything improved? Does she have uncontrollable HBP?

QUOTE=rosen stefanov;4766677]Hi GaryF42,

Just read your post about the after effects of the cerebellum stroke.
How is you husband doing now?

I started looking about nausea and vomiting after a Cerebellum stroke and found your post.

My mother had a cerebellum "stroke"-malformation of some blood vessels in her cerebellum from which there was a blood leak.

My mum has no other damage except the nausea constipation and now vomiting. Her memory is intact and all the movement is there except some slight misbalance when walking (itís only been 20 days since the stroke)

The doctors wanted to operate but my mum decided that if itís her time so be it. (didnít want to risk if the operation wasn't successful and left her with any damage.

Cut the long story short she is been home now for two weeks and except some high blood pressure in the first two days she 's been on the mend since.

It was all looking positive until two days agoÖ

She has had constipation which hasn't gone since her having the stroke 20 days ago.

We gave her some medicine for it (syrups and stuff) but now luck. We had to do a colonic irrigation few times now.

We thought that the reason for the constipation could have been the lack of variety in her diet. (Since she wasnít eating much and mainly dry food.)

So Iíve made sure she had some salads (lettuce) and some fruits (orange, cherries and watermelon) but there was still no improvement with her constipation.

Yesterday (Sunday) she started feeling some pains in her stomach like if there is build up of acidity. She vomited once in the afternoon and then ones before going to bed. Both times it happened after sheís been to the toilet (been up and then going back to bed when the dizziness is so bad that makes her vomit)

Today (Monday) she was fine all day but when got up to brush her teeth and gone back to bed the vomiting happened again. She describes it as if when she goes back to bed she gets dizzy and that dizziness makes her vomit.

The strangest thing is that she is so alert so witty like sheís always been but not eating a lot and vomiting for second day made her look very frail

Do you know from experience what we can do to help her with dizziness the vomiting and the constipation?

It makes me hurt seeing her suffer and I feel so bad that I canít help her. The doctors (here in Bulgaria) seem so clueless that I realized that I have to look elsewhere for help and advise.

Please let me know if there is anything (even if itís available only in US) that helps with those symptoms.

Thank you in advance

Rosen Stefanov[/QUOTE]

Old 08-30-2011, 12:58 PM   #4
(male)

rosen stefanov HB User

Hi,

Sorry to hear about your mother. I hope she will have a quick recovery.

Sorry will be very quick but just checked my email before bed.

About the vomiting:
In my mother's case her stomach wasn't passing the food down and there was a build up off acid.

Get some medicine to improve her digestion.

HBP: it takes time to bring it down to normal levels, but once you stabilise it: let her rest and do small walks around the house.

Will get you more specific info tomorrow
Give your mum my best wishes
Bye

Old 08-31-2011, 02:02 PM   #5
(male)

Getwell1 HB User

We are making her sleep on the sleeping sofa. So that the body will not be flat. Not sure how good that will work, but we feel it is better than sleeping on bed.

We are making her sit up after she eats, hoping that stomach can digest. She is taking Pantopaz Pantoprazol 40mg every day. I think this helps with her gas in her stomach. But, I do believe that if she eats more, she will get stronger and hopefully not having to eat the stomach pill.

Her vomit is still an issue right now, not sure what we can do about it. Usually comes with dizziness.

HBP: she is much easier to be controller during the day than at night. With medicine, she is around 150ish to 80ish. Which is pretty good I thought. She is not doing a lot of walk and feels weak.

Now I am worried about her kidney with all the medicine she is taking.

She had a strong on 04/08(august).. It looks like the road to recovery is long ahead. I just hope that she can be back to her normal self. Starting with eating more.

Thank you for listening.. I will pray for all of us as well.

Old 09-19-2012, 04:29 AM   #6
(male)

stevelts HB User

yes. i had a cerebellar stroke too and vomited during the incident in jul this year. The vertigo lasted for about a week and half before it subsided.

Closed Thread