It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Stroke Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2009, 02:08 PM   #1
(female)

janalee HB User
Stroke

hey there,

My Mom had a stroke back in August. Since that time her life and mine have change significantly. We had to place her in a nursing home a few weeks ago. I am finding that now all my Mom wants to do is sleep. I am starting to get concerned and am wondering if this is normal. Part of me wants to believe it is part of the healing process. If anyone out there has any advice or stories to share I would greatly appreciate it. I am not dealing with things all that well right now. If you would have asked me six months ago if this was the life my Mom would be leading I would have said "no way".

Old 01-23-2009, 02:21 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User
Re: Stroke

I am so sorry about your mom's stroke, but I hope I can help you. I do not know the nature of your mother's stroke, or what other health issues she might have, but I am a 48 year old woman who survived 4 strokes (five years ago, due to malignant hypertension).

The sleeping is very common following a stroke. It is a time of healing. The brain is an amazing thing that will try and heal itself immediatly, thus the sleep. Be very patient with your mother, let her take her time.

Last edited by writeleft; 01-23-2009 at 02:23 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-24-2009, 06:51 AM   #3
(male)

sumptersam HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by writeleft View Post
I am so sorry about your mom's stroke, but I hope I can help you. I do not know the nature of your mother's stroke, or what other health issues she might have, but I am a 48 year old woman who survived 4 strokes (five years ago, due to malignant hypertension).

The sleeping is very common following a stroke. It is a time of healing. The brain is an amazing thing that will try and heal itself immediatly, thus the sleep. Be very patient with your mother, let her take her time.
after my stroke, nurses just let me sleep...I don't think I have ever felt so sleepy but now (a few months later) I keep to a schedule, don't sleep too much and my wife wakes me up...but I still have to sneak a nap in sometimes.....of course, depends on meds too...I take meds for my seizures which make me sleepy......

Old 01-24-2009, 03:38 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User

My sleeping pattern following my strokes has been very differant than before.

I actually spent the whole first year basically asleep. The second year I began to walk around again, but never alone. The third year, my speech got better. The fourth year, I began to drive again. Now, in the fifth year, I am back to riding my motorcycle in the desert, restoring my 48 year old truck, and feeling more and more like myself everyday.

Now, I'm not suggesting your moms case is anything like mine, but time does heal. I had some other signifigant health issues with the strokes, kidney failure, strokes on the retina's, heart attack, etc.

Now days, I still need 10-12 hours of sleep, mostly due to medications, as sumptersam mentioned. I've just adjusted to sleeping much more, and that's ok. My recovery is still in progress, and thank god for my understanding husband and kids.

I hope your mother continues to heal, and she is very lucky to have such a caring, loving daughter.

Old 01-25-2009, 08:07 AM   #5
(female)

janalee HB User

Thanks to the both of you for your comments on my post. It gives me hope for my Mom. I have been having a bit of a hard time myself with the whole experience. We have placed my Mom in a nursing home and that has been a challenge for me. It is a struggle to trust anyone enough with the care of my little Mom.
My Mom has done well physically but cognitively she has some issues. She has alot of confused thoughts and sometimes sees or hears things that are not there. I wish for her that her mind will clear and she can have peace......and live a good life.

Thank you again for taking the time to reply to my....it really means alot.

Old 01-25-2009, 04:26 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

Of course...She will be confused for a while, just try to assure her she will get much better. I follow these boards just for the purpose of sharing some positive light on this very difficult time.

Old 01-26-2009, 06:40 AM   #7
(male)

sumptersam HB User

Quote:
Of course...She will be confused for a while, just try to assure her she will get much better. I follow these boards just for the purpose of sharing some positive light on this very difficult time.
It's comforting just to know someone else understands what life is like....I understand the confused state....but of course, my wife says I was always like that it's just that now I have an excuse! I will think of your mother and others when I pray.....:

Old 01-26-2009, 07:31 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

Contributing on the boards is "just what the doctor ordered" for me. I had my strokes young (43), and was spared the worst, somehow. I feel lucky to connect with other survivors, and support one another.

Old 01-27-2009, 06:47 AM   #9
(male)

sumptersam HB User

Quote:
Contributing on the boards is "just what the doctor ordered" for me. I had my strokes young (43), and was spared the worst, somehow. I feel lucky to connect with other survivors, and support one another.
Me too.....I am 48 and I think the young age is important as I am lucky to be getting most everything back.....some of the guys in thereapy with me weren't so lucky.....and even the therapists have told me how speaking out, finding these boards, etc. is good therapy!

Old 01-27-2009, 07:21 AM   #10
(female)

janalee HB User

I feel very fortunate to have found this board. This is what I needed.....I am grateful to those of you who have taken the time to respond to my post. It is good to know there are people out there who understand. My Mom is 77, much older than you but I still believe that she will continue to recover. I am hoping a year from now she will not be living in such a confused world and that perhaps she can be in a assisted living situation as opposed to a nursing home.

Old 01-27-2009, 12:28 PM   #11
Inactive
(female)

Janalee, and Sumptersam,

I spend a little time each day on the boards, and every once in a while I find a good connection, as with you two. I like to focus on the positive aspects of things, but I certainly never forget the tough road that got me this far.

Janalee, I hope for your mother's recovery to be positive, and speedy. I cannot tell you how comforting it was for me to have my husband's voice and his touch, during the worst times for me. No matter how confused I was, I knew he was there, just like your mother does.

Sumptersam, May I ask what led to your stroke?

Hugs to both of you, and of course your mother too...

Old 01-28-2009, 07:47 AM   #12
(female)

janalee HB User

Quote:
Janalee, and Sumptersam,

I spend a little time each day on the boards, and every once in a while I find a good connection, as with you two. I like to focus on the positive aspects of things, but I certainly never forget the tough road that got me this far.

Janalee, I hope for your mother's recovery to be positive, and speedy. I cannot tell you how comforting it was for me to have my husband's voice and his touch, during the worst times for me. No matter how confused I was, I knew he was there, just like your mother does.

Sumptersam, May I ask what led to your stroke?

Hugs to both of you, and of course your mother too...
Hi there,

My Mom had her stroke just before her 77th birthday. My Mom was very active and you certainly would never guess her age. She was in a relationship for 8 years prior to having her stroke. A month or so before her stroke her and her partner broke up. I am not to sure if the stress of that added to her situation or not. There was more to it but I guess I felt it was the stress of that particular situation that increased her chances of the stroke. I also think, at the time, I wanted someone to blame. She did have high blood pressure and cholesteral which always surprised me. My Mom was always so aware of everything she ate and led a very healthy lifestyle.

It is good to have connections with people that can understand or to help you understand what is happening. I know my Mom is comforted by my being there as much as I am. Sometimes it is so hard to leave her.....and I can see it in her eyes. That breaks my heart.......

I am lucky to have the partner I have in my life who does not begrudge the amount of time I spend away from home. He is so supportive and helpful. It is him as well that helps me make it through everyday.

I do have a question for you both. Did eithr of you have any councelling/or otherwise to deal with all the emotional/confusing stuff when you had your stroke?

Thanks again for your kindness

Old 01-28-2009, 08:25 AM   #13
Inactive
(female)

Hi Janalee,

I don't know if the stress of your mother's relationship had anything to do with her stroke, but it couldn't have helped! I can certainly feel the pain in your words, and it is just heatbreaking.

As far as emotional counseling...I had quite a bit of therapy and rehabilitation following my strokes, speech, physical, etc., but I don't remember much counseling. I did end up with depression and anxiety issues, that I needed medication for, but I did not go to a therapist...my doctor prescribed the meds for me, and assured me that it was a normal situation following stroke. I had so many doctor appointments for so long, that I couldn't throw in a therapist too. It probably would have served me well, but I already felt like a huge burden to my family, who would have had to drive me, and sit and wait, etc.

Now that some time has passed, I have found my own things that help me. Number one, is definately the support of family and friends. It just kills me to think of you having to leave your mother after your visits, that hurts! One thing I remember when I was hospitalized, were the visits. Seeing my family come in the door was such a relief, but I understood they had to leave, and I imagine I slept most of the time they were not there.

In my case, most of that first year has been forgotten, probably for the best.
The fact that your mother was so vibrant, and young at heart will certainly serve her well in her recovery.

I have no idea if my words offer you any kind of support, but I hope they do. I'll be watching for your next post...

Old 01-28-2009, 08:58 AM   #14
(male)

sumptersam HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by janalee View Post
Hi there,

My Mom had her stroke just before her 77th birthday. My Mom was very active and you certainly would never guess her age. She was in a relationship for 8 years prior to having her stroke. A month or so before her stroke her and her partner broke up. I am not to sure if the stress of that added to her situation or not. There was more to it but I guess I felt it was the stress of that particular situation that increased her chances of the stroke. I also think, at the time, I wanted someone to blame. She did have high blood pressure and cholesteral which always surprised me. My Mom was always so aware of everything she ate and led a very healthy lifestyle.

It is good to have connections with people that can understand or to help you understand what is happening. I know my Mom is comforted by my being there as much as I am. Sometimes it is so hard to leave her.....and I can see it in her eyes. That breaks my heart.......

I am lucky to have the partner I have in my life who does not begrudge the amount of time I spend away from home. He is so supportive and helpful. It is him as well that helps me make it through everyday.

I do have a question for you both. Did eithr of you have any councelling/or otherwise to deal with all the emotional/confusing stuff when you had your stroke?

Thanks again for your kindness
Thanks for sharing your mother's story.....no, the stress wasn't good I'm sure and that is one my lessons is to reduce stress in my life...thanks again for sharing and I like making good connections too!

Old 01-28-2009, 12:55 PM   #15
Inactive
(female)

Hello again friends...

Sumptersam, I am interested to hear your story, if you don't mind. Everyone's situation is so differant. People have always told me I was way too young to have strokes, but apparantly not. By the way, sumptersam is a cool name!

Closed Thread