It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Stroke Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2009, 10:45 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

neveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB User
how do you know if your having a stroke?

My mom thinks she might be having symptoms of a stroke. What are the most obvious symptoms to watch out for?

She is 62 yrs old. Her history is high blood pressure, high cholesterol, severe sleep apnea (won't wear her cpap though she's been told she could have a heart attack or stroke in her sleep w/o it), osteoarthritis, & diverculitis.

Her complaint is pain in her hand, hip, leg, & foot, and it radiates from her foot to her hand, causing tingling sensations, sometimes numbness in her foot, and it's all to the left side of her body. The pain gets extremely horrible. It's been occuring for about a week. She is also feeling some burning in her hip.

I have fibromyalgia and I know those aches and pains definetly do not persist just to one side of my body.

Her brother has heart problems and had repeated mini strokes. Both her parents had heart disease but not stroke issues.

The good thing I think is this is just an issue with pain. There's nothing seeming to relate with the brain, speech issues, loss of vision or such.

I am taking her to see her doctor next mth but I would love you all's opinion on this before we go. That way incase the doctor chooses not to do anything and just assumes it's her arthritis, I will know whether to open my big mouth and insist that she checks out it. Thank you.

Last edited by neveragain444; 03-25-2009 at 10:47 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-02-2009, 12:53 AM   #2
(female)

blackRaven HB User
Re: how do you know if your having a stroke?

neveragain444 hello uselly there is no sighns that your having a stroke my father had 3 so for and the first one he had was a TIA

(transient ischemic attack)thats what tia means they are mini storkes so the systoms you were saying sounds like athritis because I also have Fibromalya,lupus,and ra so sounds like thats what your mother has but I would get her check out anyway just to be safe and give yourself a clear mind.

blackraven

BlackRaven

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-18-2009, 03:45 PM   #3
(female)

juniper5 HB User

That is why strokes are called the "silent killer" because a lot of the time the person does not even know they are having one. My mother was having mini strokes, I was totally unaware. They only thing that was different was her memory issues and we thought she might be experiencing alzheimers symptoms. I scheldued her a doctors appointed but before we even went she ended up collapsing on the floor one morning and was unconscious for 24 hours in the intensive care unit at the hospital. Once they checked her brain scans and hooked up monitoring devices they saw that she had had two strokes. She has since fully recovered but is suffering from moderate dementia from the stroke damage. I guess my advice to people would be if you feel like something is not right contact your doctor. It never hurts to ask questions or ask for a exam. If the doctor doesn't feel it necessary you can always see another doctor and get a second opinion.

Old 05-18-2009, 04:07 PM   #4
(female)

boohoo HB User

my dad had a stroke and on that day, he was dropping things, like utensils, 4 hours later his writing got very small and then the biggie he missed is that he couldn't lift his left arm. if i would have had a crystal ball, know he's wheelchair ridden and completely paralyzed on his entire left side. i wouldn't wish that on anyone, yet he had No pain.
take care and always ask questions, be a pain in the a$$, it's your loved one.
much regards
boo

Old 05-20-2009, 11:06 AM   #5
(female)

wiselyn HB User

My mom's mini-strokes were masked by the fact that she was being treated for shingles last year. We didn't realise until she had a major stroke but thank god no paralysis occured but she has been left with serious speech impediment.
Watch out for any weakness down one side of the body, slurred or incomprehensible speech, disturbance to sight (likened to a shutter coming down even when eyes opened)

Closed Thread