It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Stroke Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-14-2009, 10:29 AM   #1
(female)

rbrylo301 HB User
Small vessel desease of the brain

I have trouble falling because I can not balance myself after a small trip. I was found to have small vessel desease of the brain after having an MRI

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-06-2009, 07:32 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User
Re: Small vessel desease of the brain

HI. I was also diagnosed with small vesel disease this past December and I had possibly as many as 3 lacunar strokes since then. However, they were misdiagnosed as an injury to my neck since I recently went through 2 major spine surgeries.

I also have major balance problems.

The strokes from these blood vessels are called lacunar strokes as they are in the base of the brain instead of the upper portion where 80% of all strokes occur. Like me, you need to find a good neurologist to watch your brain. These are not good places to have strokes.

Good luck and stay in touch. I'm here to stay for a while after spending the past 4 months on the spinal cord board thinking I was heading for a 3rd spine surgery. I'll fill you in with what I learn.

gentle hugs...........Jenny

The Following User Says Thank You to jennybyc For This Useful Post:
writeleft (08-10-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-09-2009, 02:03 PM   #3
(female)

Sharbear50 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbrylo301 View Post
I have trouble falling because I can not balance myself after a small trip. I was found to have small vessel desease of the brain after having an MRI
Wow! Jenny, though I haven't been told I have had a stroke, I have had an MRI that showed I have small vessel disease in my brain. All of your symptoms sound just like what I am having trouble with...the memory problems, loss of balance, head aches, dizziness, tingly fingers, fatigue, restless sleep, etc. I have only been given something for migraines. What kind of meds have you been given? Has anything helped?

Old 08-09-2011, 10:46 AM   #4
(female)

jewjewy HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharbear50 View Post
Wow! Jenny, though I haven't been told I have had a stroke, I have had an MRI that showed I have small vessel disease in my brain. All of your symptoms sound just like what I am having trouble with...the memory problems, loss of balance, head aches, dizziness, tingly fingers, fatigue, restless sleep, etc. I have only been given something for migraines. What kind of meds have you been given? Has anything helped?
Hi Jenny,
I have just got out of hospital after a week with symptoms of a stroke (numbness on right side of my body,arm, leg and face also loss/slowness of speech) could this be down to small vessel disease as two weeks before these symptoms I had a major headache attack which stayed with me for approx 5 days and left me bed bound for this time. The time inetween I was left feeling very confused at times and overwhelmed. (please help as the doctors are not)

Old 08-10-2011, 02:06 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Positive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jewjewy View Post
Hi Jenny,
I have just got out of hospital after a week with symptoms of a stroke (numbness on right side of my body,arm, leg and face also loss/slowness of speech) could this be down to small vessel disease as two weeks before these symptoms I had a major headache attack which stayed with me for approx 5 days and left me bed bound for this time. The time inetween I was left feeling very confused at times and overwhelmed. (please help as the doctors are not)
Hello jewjewy,
And welcome to the stroke board. Did the doctors tell you you had a stroke? The symptoms you have seem similar. But I have also been on this forum for awhile and have found that some of these symtoms do become something else than stroke. Did you have an MRI? If not you should if you can. A stroke comes up pretty easily if it is a stroke, like in my situation for example. I have not heard of small vessel disease. But there may be some one that does know about it. Just so you know my friend, this thread you found is from 2009 so the responders may be long gone. But this is an active board... so if you keep responding you will hear back from a lot of caring friends. If you can, maybe start a new thread for yourself. If not that is ok, the most important thing is that you feel safe. Don't feel overwhelmed please because that is the first reaction and I know that I know that feeling is so scary. But you have friends to help as much as we can. There are no doctors here, but stroke survivors that have been where you are and love to just be there and help you out.

If anything I wrote helped, then great. I don't want to confuse you. A few weeks after your situation is weird and confusing but you are in the right place. We will help you the whole way through. But you need an MRI first if you didn't get one. That is just my opinion. And if you need help to start another thread we can help you do that too. I just don't want you to be lost on a 2009 year old post. Does that make sense?
God Bless,
Tim

Old 08-10-2011, 10:06 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User

Hi there Jewjewy,

I would also like to welcome you to the stroke board, a very caring and wonderful place for stroke survivors to share their stories and support one another during what is for most of us the most life changing event in our lives.

My first question is this...Did you actually get diagnosed as having a stroke during your hospital stay? It is very important to know for sure if you have had a stroke of not, as the recovery and after care are very important, and can be very different if it is not a stroke. Was anything mentioned about physical therapy, rehab or any other forms of guided therapy to evercome and physical impact the stroke may have left you with. I am one who did not have any noticeable losses from my 4 strokes, and it was not until way later did I get any physical therapy. I was actually asleep for almost 2 years.

Do you have someone at home to care for you? Having strong support is so valuable if you have it. For me, I was just starting to date a nice man when my strokes occurred while we were snorkeling. Most men would have taken off fast, but he is still with me for that lst 8 years. I am so lucky and appreciative.

The fact that you found us, is what is most important now. You always have friends here to ask questions to, to share your accomplishment with and just to chat when you need someone to listen. AS Tim mentioned, we would love for you to start another thread with your story as the first post. All it takes to do that is hit the button on the top left that says "New Thread" and a open box will appear for you to write in. If you need help with that, just say so, and we will walk you through it.

We are so happy you are here where you belong, with us. We are here to help you from this day on!

by the way...do not worry one bit about typos, misspellings or any other grammatical errors, we can figure just what you are saying, or we will ask. It is hard ofr all of us at first.

Janet

Last edited by writeleft; 08-10-2011 at 10:08 PM.

Old 08-11-2011, 01:58 PM   #7
(female)

jewjewy HB User

Hi Tim, many thanks for replying to my post, i have had an MRI which showed no signs of a stroke just the progression of small vessel disease although the hospital have not got the best reputation, The only difference that i am trying to find out is the speech symptoms. You mentioned that I may be able to start a new thread (is that correct) again thanks for your reply.

Old 08-11-2011, 02:19 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

Positive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB User

Hi,
I will look more into your disease. It is interesting and something I have not heard of. There is a "new thread" button on the top left here. Please stay in touch. You will may not get answers but always get support here.
God Bless,
Tim

Old 08-11-2011, 05:02 PM   #9
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User

Hello,

The first time I heard of small vessel disease was when my mother told me she had it herself.

If you feel your hospital has a less than superior reputation, I would make the move right away to another doctor.

I did a little poking around to refresh my recollection about this disease, and it was just as I thought...where the smallest blood vessels can become clogged or blocked, leading to possibility of strokes, aneurysms, etc.It sounds like the job for a good neurologist, to follow you and guide you down this path.

It doesn't sound as if your present doctors are being as helpful as you need for them to be. I would take your film and your records from the hospitalization asap, to pass onto another doctor who is willing and able to help you. May I ask where you live? Is there a major city near enough that you can get treatment there?

We are here to help you, and hope you find the answers you are looking for...

Janet

Old 08-11-2011, 07:43 PM   #10
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User

Wow, it's been almost 2 years since I wrote on this thread. I had had 3 lacunar strokes when I write it and then another shortly there after.

My understanding of small blood vessel disease is that the tiniest blood vessels of the brain become very fragile after years of pounding from high blood pressure. It is especially so in the brain stem and base of the brain where the smallest vessels come directly off of large vessels and the pressure stays very high for their size rather than in the cerebrum where the blood vessels gradually go down in size and can mitigate some of the pressure problems.

As a result, these vessels can collapse, giving the same symptoms as a stroke but the cause is slightly different and may not show up as a stroke. Rather than one sided effects, you can get mixed body problems on both sides at the same time. And they do heal faster as well.

Best way to diagnose is an MRA with contrast(MRI of blood vessels).

The treatment is keeping your BP low, actually lower than normal is preferred. And I take an aspirin a day to keep my blood thin as well.

I had another one this summer and haven't even seen my doc yet about it. Don't know if it was another lacunar or just a TIA or even a very small stroke but I guess when I see him on the 26th, I'll have to confess and try to explain why I didn't call or go to the ER. It just seemed that if they can't do anything about it, why run up a bill. I just keep taking my meds and trying to stay calm. Not easy some days. And there in lies my biggest problem...stress.

hugs to all..............Jenny

PS...hi Janet!

Old 08-12-2011, 07:42 AM   #11
Inactive
(female)

Jenny,

I think it is always interesting when one of our old posts re-appears, and what was fresh is not old. I am not surprised you did not go in after you event this summer...you know the story front and back.

Jewjewy,

When my mother was diagnosed, I did some research and learned that there is some connection between small vessel disease and Alzheimer's, stroke, and the areas most affected being the base of the brain. (lacunar)

Old 08-12-2011, 08:46 AM   #12
(female)

jewjewy HB User

Many thanks again to all of you for your fantastic and quick support. I live in Kent the garden of England United Kingdom but unfortunately my local hospital is not very good. I had a lumber punch that was unsucessful and am due to go back for another but have no faith in the doctors. I am currently asking to be transferred to the care of a major London hospital so am hoping. Today my medication has been reduced to see if my speech and walking improve just hope my headaches stay away. Thanks again I am so glad I signed up to this great site.

Old 08-12-2011, 04:17 PM   #13
Inactive
(female)

Jewjewy,

We always love to hear of our members being happy to have found this place. For many of us it is simply a place like no other, when it comes to support when we need it most. We are so happy to have you with us where you belong.

We are here, every day and night, so come anytime you feel the need to chat or to ask questions or even to share your frustrations with us. We understand like no one else can. It is also so important for each of us to offer our support to the others who come here. We like to introduce ourselves to every new visitor, just to welcome them and let them know we are here to help...just like with you.

Looking forward to learning more about you and becoming friends.

Janet

Old 08-17-2011, 08:30 AM   #14
(female)

jewjewy HB User
Smile Re: Small vessel desease of the brain

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbrylo301 View Post
Hi I too have been diagnosedwith SVD of the brain but I get really bat headaches, and am trying to find out if it affects anybodys speech as mine has been affected. would be interested to know more of your symptoms if you have any

Closed Thread