It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Stroke Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2009, 06:54 AM   #1
(male)

mgr123 HB User
Chances of Repeat Stroke

Hi, I have been observing the site for about a week and decided to sign up. My wife 52 suffered a severe stroke in june 08 and it has turned our world upside down as you call can relate. Although I will say that the stroke has provided my wife w/ a wonderful appreication of life and the people that love her. I have become concerned after realizing how many stroke survivors have repeated strokes. Is there so precurser or condition that makes one more likely to have repeated strokes. Is there a causionary period that one should be concerned about a repeat? Also it has been recommended that we have a Catheter Cerebral Pan Angiography to determine if there are any issues remaining. Does anyone have knowledge of this procedure?

Parden my spelling I cannot find spell check on this page.

God Bless All of You!

Old 09-01-2009, 08:26 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User
Re: Chances of Repeat Stroke

We are glad to have you.

In my understanding, strokes are always an issue in the future. If the underlying cause of the stroke is determined, and dealt with effectively...often times Blood pressure, diabetes, or weight control must be tightly watched, requiring adopting new strategies for best recovery.

Do you know your wife's underlying cause of her stroke? I think that is the biggest determination on how best to avoid further strokes. In my personal case, my strokes were all at once, and I have avoided another stroke for 5 years (knock on wood).

Is your wife left with deficits? Is she still very sleepy? Medications, PT, ?

I hope you don't mind my questions, a few details might help us better help you, who can then better help your dear wife.

Last edited by writeleft; 09-01-2009 at 08:34 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-02-2009, 09:10 AM   #3
(male)

mgr123 HB User

writeleft,

thanks for getting back to me. we have never confirmed the cause of Kim's stroke she was a very healthy 51 y/o, never smoked, weight 93lbs, low blood preasure and worked out daily. we did do the standard CT angiogram and it has been recommended that we have a catheter cerebral pan angigraphy and i am in the process of setting this up.

Kim was left w/ aphasia/aproxia, severe weekness on the rightside including drop foot (she walks w/ a cane) and very limited use of her right arm. she is an incredable fighter and we continue all therapies just about daily. kim takes 80mg of Balofin daily and some antidepression meds as needed and sleep meds. regarding her sleep habits she has allways been a ball of fire and i have tried to get her to slow down but she has had this energy level since childhood so it is a work in progress.

as i mentioned yesterday she is going to start her own posting soon. i explained how you started w/ just a few words and now youare fluent.

thanks so much for caring!!!

MGR

Old 09-02-2009, 10:46 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User

Good Morning Mgr,

Happy to see your reply today, and I look forward to welcoming your wife, Kim..whenever she is ready to join us too. I have asked one of my friends here on the board to share her experiences with you, as she is very knowledgeable with some of the more technical issues. Between the two of us, we have survived 9 strokes! She also keeps a very positive attitude, which I believe is very important. Give us a few days, OK? I honestly want you to find some helpful suggestions that will help your wife.

Hi Kim,

I am Janet. I am looking forward to "meeting" you. I consider this to be my way to volunteer, even while being "disabled". There are things I cannot do like I used to, but I have learned to type, and it has been a godsend...I had a lot of thoughts and feelings I had trouble putting together in my mind, but slowly but surely, out they came!

Love to you both, janet

Old 09-02-2009, 03:09 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User

Hi Mgr and Kim...I'm Jenny and Janet asked me to drop by and say hello. Kim's stroke almost sounds as if it was an aneurysm that burst. Often we are born with them and have no idea we have one until it ruptures. I have one in my splenic artery that showed up on a chest CT. Surprise!

I've had 2 different types of strokes....a cerebral stoke of the upper part of the brain that affected my whole left side 10 years ago(recovered almost fully) and then had 4 lacunar strokes since January of this year. Lacunar strokes affect the lower part of the brain where the brain stem, cerebellum and thalamus are(and hypothalamus and a few other areas with strange names like the amygdala). They are from the collapse of tiny blood vessels in the area. They are also the ones most likely to have a complete recovery. So far so good.

The lacunar type strokes for me are from high blood pressure as was Janet's. We both have histories of something called malignant hypertension in our families and although I have high blood pressure, she has the malignant form(means tough to control nowadays..used to be fatal..hence malignant... before they invented so many drugs to keep it down) so she is much worse off than I(and I worry about her so...she's such a nice person and so supportive). For me, I have to keep that blood pressure down to avoid rupturing the aneurysm, too.

But your wife was very healthy with no warning signs. Sounds like not even a family history of stroke. That test will tell you, hopefully, if she is in danger of a recurrence especially if it was an aneurysm. Do you know if it was hemorrhagic or a clot that caused the stroke..Kim do you know???? That makes a big difference. My first was from a clot.

I was 48 with my first one and it is sssooooo scary. But I've faced scarier since(broke my neck). So I'm learning to take life one day at a time and love what I see around me. Sounds like you too Kim have found that same pleasure in everyday things.

I'd like to suggest getting a book I recently read on brain plasticity. Talks about how the brain can heal itself and with some practice, can overcome a lot of deficits. The book I just read is...can't remember where I put the book...brain fog time.....I think it was The Brain That Heals Itself and I know the authors last name is Doidge...should be enough for a bookstore to look it up. I suffered brain damage after breaking my neck and I'm using some of the suggestions in the book to overcome the last big hurdle...writing long hand. I used to paint watercolors but have lost a lot of fine motor movement and so I need to get it back by writing long hand. The book suggested tracing patterns that got more and more intricate. I'm trying it. I overcame left sided paralysis when the doc said it was permanent so I know this brain plasticity stuff is correct.

So join Janet and I as we wander the world of the brain and try to find ways to fix it.

gentle hugs....................Jenny

Old 09-02-2009, 03:16 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

Jenny, you are fantastic...thank you again!

Your friend, Janet

Old 09-03-2009, 08:17 PM   #7
(male)

mgr123 HB User

Jenny, Huggs to you. Thank you for your kind response i am going to have my wife read it tomorrow. thank you again.

mgr

Old 09-03-2009, 10:49 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

This is a wonderful thread.

Old 09-04-2009, 08:58 AM   #9
(male)

mgr123 HB User

Janet,

Thank you I am going to try to make time to get Kim on the thread today or tomorrow morning. You fine folks are enlightening me already and i am excited to be getting some feedback on some of these confusing issues. Please let us know if we can help in any way.

Kim and Mike

Old 09-04-2009, 09:21 AM   #10
Inactive
(female)

Wonderful, we welcome you both with open arms, and open hearts. Whenever the time is right, we will be here. I am looking forward to "meeting" Kim.

See you soon!
Janet

Old 04-09-2011, 03:10 PM   #11
(female)

ennbee HB Userennbee HB Userennbee HB Userennbee HB Userennbee HB Userennbee HB User

Hello:

I am still new to all this as my ischemic stroke happened Dec.2010. As yet we have not found a cause for the blood clot or where it originated. When first home I had trouble sleeping for fear of another (worse) stroke. My weight, blood pressure have always been fine if not a little low. Since my first stroke was totally unexpected I try not to do the "what ifs".I found physio discouraging with much more focus on my working legs and not my left arm. through exercise at home bicep and tricep show improvement.My one handed typing needs improvement...apologies. My care worker did not show up on thursday so i did my shower and dressing alone. It toook soooo long but I did it. I was sure a smoke alarm would go off somewhere in the building and I would have to ask firefightres to get my bra off my head.. funny in retrospect but immense frustration at the time. We live in a large condo building. Bless you all in you struggles and triumphs. this forum will allow me interaction with fellow strokees.

The following user gives a hug of support to ennbee:
Chloe1252 (04-09-2011)
Old 04-09-2011, 04:51 PM   #12
Inactive
(female)

Chloe1252 HB UserChloe1252 HB UserChloe1252 HB UserChloe1252 HB UserChloe1252 HB UserChloe1252 HB UserChloe1252 HB User

Hi ennbee! Glad you found us.

Oh, boy - can I relate to your sleeping problems! My stroke (Mar.2010) happened while I slept, and for a very long time I was afraid to go to bed at night. I felt safe in the hospital, but at home (I live alone) it was a different story.

Have you told your physiotherapist you'd like to work more on your arm? It does sound like it needs a lot of attention.

How wonderful you can make jokes and laugh, although I know very well it's no laughing matter. I did, and do, the same thing, but in private I wasn't laughing at all. BUT, if we can't laugh we may as well give up!

The Following User Says Thank You to Chloe1252 For This Useful Post:
ennbee (04-10-2011)
Old 04-10-2011, 12:38 PM   #13
(female)

ennbee HB Userennbee HB Userennbee HB Userennbee HB Userennbee HB Userennbee HB User

yes we did and she agreed...then it was back to the stationery bike and long walks. We are ending the physio a couple of weeks early which is disappointing. My latest reassessment showed good leg and balance progress... not quite as good for shoulder and arm. (no surprise) I find Occupational therapist much more centred on my goals.

Last edited by ennbee; 04-10-2011 at 12:42 PM. Reason: forgetfulness

Old 04-10-2011, 02:57 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(male)

Positive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB User

ennbee,
hello and welcome. you have friends here that can help, and understand what is going on with you. I see from what you wrote my friend your feel alone, but you are not. I promise you, you have friends here and others that understand how you feel, especially when others don't understand what is going on with you. I would like to ask you to start a new thread for you. Then we can help you better. We don't know where you are because you have posted to several other threads.

Oh my friend, I understand your fear and confusion. We are here as friends and want to help you. I would ask you to a new thread, just for you. If you need help, please ask and we will help,

Don't worry, there are a lot of people here that want to help you. A stroke is very different than any other medical condition... so for me.... talking to other stroke survivors where better than any hospital or doctor.

I want you to know that you are not crazy. All of your emotions are normal. You have dozens of friends that will tell you the same thing.
God Bless you my friend,
Tim

The Following User Says Thank You to Positive Cynic For This Useful Post:
ennbee (04-10-2011)
Old 04-10-2011, 03:43 PM   #15
Inactive
(female)

Chloe1252 HB UserChloe1252 HB UserChloe1252 HB UserChloe1252 HB UserChloe1252 HB UserChloe1252 HB UserChloe1252 HB User

ennbee, is this a physiotherapist at a hospital?

I ended up going to private physio, because the waiting list at the hosp. and CLSC went according to priority and the wait was going to be too long. I had already learned that therapy really needs to start asap and was getting worried it would be too late.

Private treatment focuses completely on your needs, and they take the time to do it right. Not saying other places do it wrong, just that they are rather overwhelmed and can't always give a patient the undivided and personalized attention they need.

If you haven't tried a private clinic, I would suggest you think about doing that.

Closed Thread