It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Stroke Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-30-2009, 08:05 AM   #1
(male)

Keith Buckner HB User
New to the Board... survivor: Lower Cerebellum Stroke

HI, I must say I am glad to have found this place!

On September 23rd, 2008, I experienced a Hemorrhagic Lower Cerebellum Stroke. I spent several days Comatose, and was revived after a couple weeks.

I was released from the hospital after about 3 months and from my extended Therapy in January of this year. I have, for the most part, expereinced a full recovery with no remaining deficits!! I've been busy the last few months, getting back to my former existence (you know... driving, working, etc.. again and "all that").

I AM on HBP medication and B12 Supplements (twice daily). My docs explained to me the low survival rate of my injury, so I've been seeking other folks who've had similar experiences with whom to discuss "life after stroke", but, until finding this place, had little luck.

"Thank you" to the administrators and members for this cool place to "hang out"

KB

Old 08-30-2009, 05:14 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User
Re: New to the Board.. survivor: Lower Cerebellum Stroke

Hi Keith and welcome! I've also been having lower brain strokes but mine are a little higher than yours(thalamus, hypothalamus area) and have not been hemmorhagic but vessels collapse due to long standing hypertension. But the effect is similar although mine have been much smaller than yours.

We are fortunate as this is the one area of the brain where you are most likely to have a full recovery unlike those with strokes of the upper part of the brain. I'm glad you have had a great recovery and now stay on those HBP meds. It's the only way to control the damage. I have Type 2 diabetes with it so that means even more damage. So about all I have left is trying to keep all stressors out of my life. right.......

So hang out and say hello to those who need support. As you well know, strokes are VERY scary for both the patient and family and they need all the help and support we can give.

Again...........welcome and gentle hugs...............Jenny

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-31-2009, 08:28 AM   #3
(female)

Barbe4 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Buckner View Post
HI, I must say I am glad to have found this place!

On September 23rd, 2008, I experienced a Hemorrhagic Lower Cerebellum Stroke. I spent several days Comatose, and was revived after a couple weeks.

I was released from the hospital after about 3 months and from my extended Therapy in January of this year. I have, for the most part, expereinced a full recovery with no remaining deficits!! I've been busy the last few months, getting back to my former existence (you know... driving, working, etc.. again and "all that").

I AM on HBP medication and B12 Supplements (twice daily). My docs explained to me the low survival rate of my injury, so I've been seeking other folks who've had similar experiences with whom to discuss "life after stroke", but, until finding this place, had little luck.

"Thank you" to the administrators and members for this cool place to "hang out"

KB
Hi Keith I had a cerebellum stroke in June 2009..and I am concerned about all the sleep I need. I sleep about 10 hrs a night and have at least one nap during the day. I have been doing PT since early July..and trying to slowly get back to routine living..not easy. I am allowed treadmill 5 min. at lowest speed..and I am using a cane..I am told this exhaustion is pretty common..I am on plavix and a few other meds. Hope you are well

Old 08-31-2009, 10:10 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User

Hello Keith, and welcome to the HealthBoards...we are glad you are here!

I too am a stroke survivor, having 4 simultaneous strokes 5 years ago. My strokes were the result of malignant hypertension, and the strokes were just the beginning of it ! In conjunction with the strokes, I also suffered kidney failure, a heart attack, vision problems, and other issues (anxiety, RLS, apnea).

BUT...I am here today, and grateful to be alive! I have been on the boards for about a year now, and I have learned so much about myself, and others who have experienced strokes. My deficits include memory loss, speech problems (switching words & letters around...kinda funny), but I can type.

I am 48 years old now, 43 years old at the time of the strokes. Between Jenny and I, we have had 9 strokes altogether, so you are in good company here. It's nice to meet you, and you can always come here for support, and understanding.

Janet

Old 08-31-2009, 10:17 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User

To Barbe4,

Hello to you, and welcome to the HealthBoards too! We can all relate to the great need for sleep following stroke. I am 5 years out, and I am still sleeping 10-12 hours a day. Your brain needs this extra sleep to repair itself, so don't be too concerned about sleeping too much. It is necessary for the best recovery. I wish you the best...

Old 09-01-2009, 10:56 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User

Hi Barbe4...Writeleft is correct....sleep is the best thing for your brain. Think of it this way......when you're awake, your brain is busy running your body. The only time it gets to concentrate on healing itself is while you are asleep and it's work load is lighter. Sleep when you are tired. Your brain is telling you it needs some down time to do some repairs. And you'll remember better with more sleep. That's where we get the old saying of "sleep on it". It really does help us remember and work things out. In a study done at a university the kids were divided into 2 groups...one who studied all night and then took a test and another who studied, then got a good night's sleep and did the test. Guess which group did better...the ones who slept.

So sleep until your brain tells you it doesn't need so much rest.

gentle hugs.............Jenny

Old 05-30-2011, 05:27 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

Positive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB User

KB,
Welcome to the forum. I am glad you found us too. There is a lot of wisdom from stroke suvivors here. I try to come back everyday to just refresh myself and there is always something going on that is importatnt to us stroke survivors. Whether is in old or new.
God Bless,
Tim

Old 05-31-2011, 06:39 AM   #8
(female)

Barbe4 HB User

I am happy to be able to get back into this site. I was reading the posts I received this morning..good way to get me back..re the cerebellar strokes..which mine was..I had my left cerebellum removed and things are going along. I am now trying to walk every day but only about 1/2 mile..finding my breathing has not come back all the way. I wish all of you a good recovery. I worry every day of having another stroke..hard to get past that I guess. I am consistently sleeping 9 hours a night..except the occasional night I cannot get to sleep at all. Very annoying. Have a healthy summer everyone..

Barbe4

Old 05-31-2011, 09:04 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

Positive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB User

Hi Barb,
God bless you always. I only want to tell you to not worry, please, please, A stroke happens so quick that there is nothing to do about it. There really isn't. so live your life to it's fullest. Don't worry about another stroke if you can. Worry is a waste or good time in our life. It sounds like your stroke was minor. So be happy you will be fine. If you are not,,,, then sue me later.
God Bless you buddy,
tim

The Following User Says Thank You to Positive Cynic For This Useful Post:
ennbee (06-06-2011)
Closed Thread