It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Stroke Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2009, 10:34 AM   #1
(female)

byrd1 HB User
Question unable to swallow after stroke

had stroke august 2009 and going to speech therapy once a week. currently, almost 3 months have gone by and still i cannot swallow. is there someone who had the same? when will i start to eat? age 39

Old 10-18-2009, 11:02 AM   #2
(male)

coupe HB Usercoupe HB Usercoupe HB Usercoupe HB Usercoupe HB Usercoupe HB Usercoupe HB Usercoupe HB Usercoupe HB Usercoupe HB Usercoupe HB User
Re: unable to swallow after stroke

hi byrd1 my stroke was on November 2nd. 1992 at age 42. i remember all my food had to be pureed,I could swallow but my brain couldn't tell thick from thin? all my liquids had to have a thickener added, plus I had to sip through a straw for 6 months. seeing a speech therapist once a week? seems awful little to me. I had therapies 9 hours per day every day but Sunday for months including speech therapy everyday.

thickened black coffee and thickened water sipped through a straw, doesn't exactly qualify as a gourmet meal in my opinion! but it got me by also I had to eat lots of puddings. here today almost 17 years later I can't stand butterscotch pudding. 3 months is relatively a short time post stroke, though I know it seems like years. you just have to be patient, it will get better in its own time, you can't rush your brain to heal itself. all you can do are the breathing and pushing exercises your therapist has or should have shown you?

here's to wishing you good luck and looking forward to your first good meal. it will come? just be patient!

coupe

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-27-2009, 02:25 AM   #3
(female)

graces23 HB User
Re: unable to swallow after stroke

The docs think my dad may have had a mini stroke of some sort, cause ever since he got pneumonia he's been unable to swallow liquids. He can eat solid foods fairly ok (though not as easily as he used to), but liquids go straight into his lungs. *sigh*

He had no other symptoms, no stroke symptoms whatsoever. All he felt was he had a chest & throat infection (which the doc diagnosed) and then pneumonia. During this (not before), he started to become unable to swallow. Or talk. He can form words just fine, same as always, but there's absolutely no vocal (larynx) sounds. Just whispers.

I'm so scared. I've been reading about mini strokes, and they all say there's a major chance of a full on stroke happening following it, and it's imperative to see a doc as soon as possible after the mini stroke. But it's been about 3 weeks since my dad started having problems, and I mean, how are you supposed to know you've had a mini stroke if you have NO symptoms!? We thought his throat problems were due to the pneumonia and infection, cause his throat was sore at first, and he was coughing, etc. *shrug*

Closed Thread