It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Stroke Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2009, 05:20 PM   #1
(male)

mikeltym HB User
no reason to have had a stroke at 32, but I did!!! any help

I'm a 32 year old male, who eats very healthy and works out 6 days a week. Had got dizzy and threw up and went to the doctor who did a CAT scan, MRI, MRA and found that i had a stroke. Ran extensive tests but could not find any reason for it to have occurred. The 5 doctors that have been assigned to me have all said they could not have any reason for it and are stumped. Trying to see a intravascular doctor now. They have ran every blood test (clotting, lipids, proteins, thickness, etc...) and found nothing; have checked my heart and found no blockage or clots (anywhere in the body for that matter). My diagnosis from one of the neurologists is that I'm unlucky... and that is not sitting well with me. If anyone can help or had the same experience, please any help will be very appreciated.

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: mikeltym
Misslilrey (12-27-2010), sjb (12-27-2010)
Old 11-14-2009, 09:00 PM   #2
(female)

batzany HB User
Lightbulb Re: no reason to have had a stroke at 32, but I did!!! any help

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeltym View Post
I'm a 32 year old male, who eats very healthy and works out 6 days a week. Had got dizzy and threw up and went to the doctor who did a CAT scan, MRI, MRA and found that i had a stroke. Ran extensive tests but could not find any reason for it to have occurred. The 5 doctors that have been assigned to me have all said they could not have any reason for it and are stumped. Trying to see a intravascular doctor now. They have ran every blood test (clotting, lipids, proteins, thickness, etc...) and found nothing; have checked my heart and found no blockage or clots (anywhere in the body for that matter). My diagnosis from one of the neurologists is that I'm unlucky... and that is not sitting well with me. If anyone can help or had the same experience, please any help will be very appreciated.
I know exactly what you're going through. I had a stroke at age 10 that was diagnosed at Mott's Children's Hospital U of M. Some of the tests you had performed didn't exist back then, as I'm 39 now. But we had the same outcome of baffled doctors because they couldn't find the cause. Although I had completely different symptoms then you described. My stroke was in my left temporal lobe. I lost speech ability and was paralyzed on my right side for roughly 12-15 hours. You didn't say what area of your brain the stroke occurred in so this may be why we had different symptoms.

I felt compelled to reply to you because your story was so similiar to my own. My current doctor sent me for an Echocardiogram Bubble Study and this little test showed I had a Patent Foramen Ovale (PFO). Which is basically a hole in the upper chambers of the heart allowing some blood to shunt accross through the hole before going through the proper route to be filtered, oxygenated, & so on. With this blood shunting accross the top chambers it's more than possible for a small blood clot to travel accross just as easily and cause a stroke. My general practitioner & cardiologist both believe that this is what caused my stroke.

A PFO won't show up with regular angioplasty & cardiovascular tests. A year before the PFO was discovered. I had regular angioplasty w/no stent placement, a regular echocardiogram, stress test, and a myriad of other cardiovascular tests that showed my heart was normal. I switched doctors & within 2 weeks they found the PFO. I had the PFO closed in July of this year. The closure procedure was basically the same as having angioplasty with a little more risk as the doctors have to actually touch your heart during the procedure. I went in Friday morning & was home late saturday afternoon.

There are a few tests that will detect the presence of a PFO. The echocardiogram bubble study used to detect mine is painless and pretty quick. They put an IV starter in; do a regular echocardiogram to get a base line; then the cardiolist basically pumps micro-bubbles into your blood stream while a second echocardiogram is being performed; has you cough at a certain points; the IV comes out & your done. I've had the test 3 times so far. I'll admit the micro-bubble stuff had me a bit freaked out, but you don't feel a thing. There's another test called an Transesophagel echocardiogram in which they go down your throat and scan from inside. That was to be my next test, thank god the bubble study was enough.

I would ask your doctors for the echocardiogram bubble study.

Oh and I would also start light physical therapy now. I didn't have any physical therapy after my stroke, and I'm in physical therapy and am paying for it now (just a heads up).

Hope everything works out for you ~ Sherri

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-17-2009, 11:54 AM   #3
(male)

mikeltym HB User
Re: no reason to have had a stroke at 32, but I did!!! any help

Quote:
Originally Posted by batzany View Post
I know exactly what you're going through. I had a stroke at age 10 that was diagnosed at Mott's Children's Hospital U of M. Some of the tests you had performed didn't exist back then, as I'm 39 now. But we had the same outcome of baffled doctors because they couldn't find the cause. Although I had completely different symptoms then you described. My stroke was in my left temporal lobe. I lost speech ability and was paralyzed on my right side for roughly 12-15 hours. You didn't say what area of your brain the stroke occurred in so this may be why we had different symptoms.

I felt compelled to reply to you because your story was so similiar to my own. My current doctor sent me for an Echocardiogram Bubble Study and this little test showed I had a Patent Foramen Ovale (PFO). Which is basically a hole in the upper chambers of the heart allowing some blood to shunt accross through the hole before going through the proper route to be filtered, oxygenated, & so on. With this blood shunting accross the top chambers it's more than possible for a small blood clot to travel accross just as easily and cause a stroke. My general practitioner & cardiologist both believe that this is what caused my stroke.

A PFO won't show up with regular angioplasty & cardiovascular tests. A year before the PFO was discovered. I had regular angioplasty w/no stent placement, a regular echocardiogram, stress test, and a myriad of other cardiovascular tests that showed my heart was normal. I switched doctors & within 2 weeks they found the PFO. I had the PFO closed in July of this year. The closure procedure was basically the same as having angioplasty with a little more risk as the doctors have to actually touch your heart during the procedure. I went in Friday morning & was home late saturday afternoon.

There are a few tests that will detect the presence of a PFO. The echocardiogram bubble study used to detect mine is painless and pretty quick. They put an IV starter in; do a regular echocardiogram to get a base line; then the cardiolist basically pumps micro-bubbles into your blood stream while a second echocardiogram is being performed; has you cough at a certain points; the IV comes out & your done. I've had the test 3 times so far. I'll admit the micro-bubble stuff had me a bit freaked out, but you don't feel a thing. There's another test called an Transesophagel echocardiogram in which they go down your throat and scan from inside. That was to be my next test, thank god the bubble study was enough.

I would ask your doctors for the echocardiogram bubble study.

Oh and I would also start light physical therapy now. I didn't have any physical therapy after my stroke, and I'm in physical therapy and am paying for it now (just a heads up).

Hope everything works out for you ~ Sherri

Mrs. Sherri, i really appreciate your help and input. I'm in the process of hooking up with the Methodist Hospital in Houston that has a section of the hospital dedicated to strokes. I will ask them to perform the procedures you spoke of. They did look at my heart; had a video camera film my heart beating and looking to see if i had a hole that could have caused a clot, and that was cleared. The section of the brain that was affected was the cerebellum. I thank you again for your help and avenues i can request, and i hope all goes well with you and your rehab.

thanks, Mike

Old 12-13-2009, 11:44 AM   #4
(female)

cebattles HB User

Hi!

I had a blood clot in the brain at age 37, just recently. It was found by an MRI and I was hospitalized and given an IV blood thinner, heparin, then put on a pill, coumadin, and then put on warfarin because it was less expensive.

What I would suggest is that you find another doctor, preferrably a cardiologist or even more preferably, a neurologist (who saw me and diagnosed my blood clot). Don't give up; keep trying until you get answers. You deserve to be diagnosed and treated.

Good luck to you,
Christy

Old 12-13-2009, 11:47 AM   #5
(female)

cebattles HB User

Thanks Sherri for that info; hopefully I won't have another blood clot or a stroke, but I am glad to know other diagnostic tools in case the ones they generally use don't work.

Christy

Old 12-14-2009, 07:48 AM   #6
(male)

CTKid HB User

mikeltym,

See my thread in this section titled 'Lacunar stroke....' I am 33 and just had the same thing happen to me. You may have a PFO. A regular echo will not pick that up. You will likely have a TEE (transesophagial echocardiogram) where there they will pass a scope down your esophagus and look at your heart via-ultrasound thru your stomach.

Old 12-15-2009, 10:31 AM   #7
(male)

mikeltym HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTKid View Post
mikeltym,

See my thread in this section titled 'Lacunar stroke....' I am 33 and just had the same thing happen to me. You may have a PFO. A regular echo will not pick that up. You will likely have a TEE (transesophagial echocardiogram) where there they will pass a scope down your esophagus and look at your heart via-ultrasound thru your stomach.

i appreciate your response. I have to be honest, i don't recall the name of the procedure but it was a scope down my throat to look at my heart... but i will bring up what i read in your thread to my cardiologist and brain man too... thanks for your help and many prayers with you and your recovery...

Old 01-10-2010, 06:30 PM   #8
(female)

helpothers HB User
Lightbulb Re: no reason to have had a stroke at 32, but I did!!! any help

Hi Mike:

I have read your posts about you had a stroke. Im sorry to hear that
and the doctors took alot of test, did they take glucose test sometime
problem can be hidden in lease place in your body. and you can also get
a second opinion from another doctor. keep the faith

Cheryl

Old 01-17-2010, 07:06 PM   #9
(male)

dlt1963 HB User

i had a similar thing happen to me nearly two years ago. i can relate to how you're feeling about being unlucky. my docs told me that i should have full use of my right arm and my left leg (i had 2 strokes, one on each side of my brain) within a year, and to date i am no better off. i'm mad, but don't know who at. i'm depressed because i lost a very active lifestyle. its infuriating at times, but it taught me a valuable lesson in patience, so i don't guess its been all bad. i have an appt. with my heart doc on the 27th, i'm going to ask him about activase. doing some online research, and it may be too late for it for me.

The following user gives a hug of support to dlt1963:
pianomaster (12-08-2010)
Old 05-15-2010, 04:53 PM   #10
(male)

42ronee HB User

hi. did you have a venous stroke?

Old 05-17-2010, 03:04 PM   #11
(male)

mikeltym HB User

here's my update... i just got cleared by my brain doc and heart doc. both are still stumped and again have no answers or direction where to go now. the intravascular doc doesnt want to do the stents in the artery because of possible death or rupture. I am now trying to get a second opinion but at a more advanced hospital. One suggestion is that i have spasms in my brain arteries and that it caused the stroke and they are sure it will happen again. no treatment. definitely wasn't heart or PFO, no medical problems, and there was no mention of venous stroke. i will continue to try to figure this out and i really appreciate all and every word of help and info. you will always be in my prayers and i hope for the best for you...

mike

Old 05-18-2010, 05:08 AM   #12
(male)

42ronee HB User

Hi. Hope your doing fine. where was your stroke. do you have any problems after the stroke. any headaches?

Old 05-19-2010, 12:35 PM   #13
(male)

mikeltym HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42ronee View Post
Hi. Hope your doing fine. where was your stroke. do you have any problems after the stroke. any headaches?
my stroke was in the cerebellum and the right artery that feeds from the brain stem into the cere is closed. my docs have said that i was lucky not to be paralyzed on the right side. physically im good, no side effects, but i do have headaches everyday all day... i have caffine pills i can take to help with the pressure but it makes me very very tired. is this a common side effect of stroke victims? (headaches). also, im always tired, not physically, but my brain is like telling my body to rest. my workouts are still 2 hours long and my strength has come back, but im just so mentally tired...

Old 05-19-2010, 08:59 PM   #14
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User

Mike,

The fatigue is definitely typical of stroke survivors. While you brain is busy reconnecting and re routing blood supplies, it has little energy for all the extras. Although it is hard to be patient, it is imperative that you let your brain do it's work, and give yourself a lot of rest. The two hour workouts might be a bit much!

Although we all experience different effects, being very tired is one most of us all share. I would suggest you give in to this signal the brain is giving you. Recovery is very slow, and very important to allow yourself the proper time and rest to accomplish all it needs to.

Old 05-20-2010, 12:31 PM   #15
(male)

mikeltym HB User

i understand. i was just cleared about 3 months ago to go back to work which is personal training and youth ministry, both are very physical. so i do allow much rest. are the headaches common? my neuro really wasnt overly concerned with it. are the headaches a common factor, or is does it matter on location or nerves damaged? again, im getting more info here than with my neuro...

Closed Thread

Tags
stroke victim at 32