It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Stroke Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2010, 06:37 AM   #1
(male)

Nasir2010 HB User
how to straighten fingers

I am a stroke survivor in right side of my body. Still I can not straighten my fingers
all fingers including thumb finger always carved,shrink and bent. What can I do now?
Please inform me mail.
Best regaeds.
Nasir.

Old 02-01-2010, 01:00 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

oc1an HB User
Re: how to straighten fingers

Sounds like you may have contractures - permanent shortening of the tendons and muscles. Once it has progressed to this stage you need to consult a doctor. There is something called serial casting that might be applicable. This is the end result of untreated spasticity.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-11-2010, 01:55 PM   #3
(female)

madfit HB User
Re: how to straighten fingers

Hi,

These are my own excercises that I developed after my stroke. My hand and fingers were just like a claw. Now I am touch typing using both hands and all finers. I even drive. It does help, I can attest to it. My doctors originally told me I'd never have any function in my arm, let alone my fingers. I proved them wrong. Don't get me wrong it takes alot of practice, strong will and prayers.

Here are some exercises that will help:

1. Take your arm, and with the other hand massage the affected arm, trying to loosen the muscles. If you keep doing this, eventually it will loosen up.

2. Stengthen your whole arm including your fingers, by taking a plastic grocery bag and put a few groceries, adding more and more weight when you think you can. You'll be surprised, by carrying the bag with 2 or 3 fingers, you'll see how strong both the fingers and arm become and the muscles will loosen up.

3. With the affected hand, pull the fingers on the opposite hand, one at a time, and keep stretching them out. Stretch each joint on the finger, the 3 joints on every finger. I constantly did this. My hand used to be like a claw. You should see it now. I am even touch typing this note using every finger on both hands. It takes a strong will, perseverance and a lot of work.

Take the good hand and pull on the thumb stetching it, farther and farther from the index finger. After a while, you'll notice you can separate the thumb from the index finger until it is normal like your good hand.

4. Then when you have accomplished this, just try opening and closing the fingers, over and over until they become strong.

5. Use a tight springed clothes pin, and keep pressing it open, this will also give strength to the fingers.

6. Put some small type shaped pasta or marbles in a bowl and try picking one at a time up. This gives coordination.

7. Did they give you puddy in therapy? That was also good to build strength.

8. It's very important to do exercises all the time. Just relaxing in bed, sitting in a chair or anyplace. I even used to do this when someone took me by car shopping, after a while it will be instinctive. I can personally attest to these exercises helping.

9. Use the squeeze ball method to gain strength, while watching TV, in a car, etc.

Hope this helps you! Good luck.

Closed Thread