It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Stroke Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2010, 06:28 PM   #1
(male)

Jobo HB User
Still getting wierd dizzy spells, 6 months after stroke?

I am 37 and had a stroke six months ago. I had a damaged artery to my neck that gave me a blood clot. After 6 months I look and move fine and they tell me I am all healed up. Most of the time I feel great and back to normal but everyday i feel some different pressures and often loud noises bother me alot. I also fight these wierd urges to get light headed or pass out. Is this going to end? Is it typical? They checked me last month and reconfirmed no bleeding and all is healed.

Old 02-02-2010, 07:33 AM   #2
Inactive
(male)

oc1an HB User
Re: Still getting wierd dizzy spells, 6 months after stroke?

You are not all healed up because part of your brain is dead and that will not recover. You need to get a detailed diagnosis of the area of the stroke that left some part of your brain dead. Then you will need to neuroplastically reprogram your brain to take over the missing functions. Ask your therapist and doctor how to do that and watch them squirm.

Last edited by oc1an; 02-02-2010 at 07:35 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-02-2010, 05:42 PM   #3
(male)

Jobo HB User

What does neuroplastically reprogram exactly mean?

Old 02-24-2010, 09:36 AM   #4
(female)

Annie001 HB User

Has your dr. said anything about vertigo? This has been a problem for me since my stroke (bleeding stroke) over 10 years ago. If not ask for an evaluation. there are some good (and inexpensive) meds that might help you.

Good Luck, Annie

The Following User Says Thank You to Annie001 For This Useful Post:
ennbee (10-06-2011)
Old 03-19-2010, 07:17 PM   #5
(male)

eemgee HB Usereemgee HB User

Annie,
What are these good (and inexpensive) meds that might help.
Since my stroke 14 months ago I have had dizzy spells and motion sickness along with chronic fatigue continuously and Drs have prescribed lots of different things but nothing seems to work but diazapam does give me a couple of hours relief each day but am wary of addiction with that.
Wayne

Old 03-25-2010, 09:14 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User

I had 4 strokes about 5 years ago now, and it has taken me years to overcome some of the effects of my strokes. I fainted often for quite some time, and to this day cannot lower my head below my waist without becoming very dizzy. The brain needs lots of time to heal, as it is re-routing blood supplies all around the area of the brain that has been damaged.

What is most important is to rise very slowly, and protect yourself from falling. I was young when I had my strokes (43), but still take precautions when walking, and always hold onto to something or someone when I feel un-steady.

Time does help, and patience with yourself is crucial to heal. I wish you well...

Old 10-03-2011, 02:24 AM   #7
(female)

Clab HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by writeleft View Post
I had 4 strokes about 5 years ago now, and it has taken me years to overcome some of the effects of my strokes. I fainted often for quite some time, and to this day cannot lower my head below my waist without becoming very dizzy. The brain needs lots of time to heal, as it is re-routing blood supplies all around the area of the brain that has been damaged.

What is most important is to rise very slowly, and protect yourself from falling. I was young when I had my strokes (43), but still take precautions when walking, and always hold onto to something or someone when I feel un-steady.

Time does help, and patience with yourself is crucial to heal. I wish you well...
Hi, I know you posted this quite a long time ago. I just wondered were you able to go back to work? How did it impact on your life? I hope you don't mind me asking. My husband recently had a stroke and like you suffers dizzy spells. thanks in advance.

Old 10-08-2011, 06:10 PM   #8
(male)

max55 HB Usermax55 HB Usermax55 HB Usermax55 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobo View Post
I am 37 and had a stroke six months ago. I had a damaged artery to my neck that gave me a blood clot. After 6 months I look and move fine and they tell me I am all healed up. Most of the time I feel great and back to normal but everyday i feel some different pressures and often loud noises bother me alot. I also fight these wierd urges to get light headed or pass out. Is this going to end? Is it typical? They checked me last month and reconfirmed no bleeding and all is healed.
I can totally relate and know exactly what that feels like. I had my stroke last April and still have residual light headed feelings that I used to blame on my BP meds until a Doc told me that its probably still left over from the stroke. Sometimes I have these sensations kind of like a mini panic attack onset that I just dismiss.

I live pretty much normally except I still do not like walking too far by myself, I used to like taking long walks.

One thing I am starting to realize is that fear is the main thing that is obstructing my life. Without the fear there really is nothing to be afraid of. If something happens medically then it happens and fearing it will not make it any better if and when it does happen. Only thing fear does is keeps us from doing the things we want to do. So without the fear, we can live a lot better and freer lives.

Last edited by max55; 10-08-2011 at 06:13 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to max55 For This Useful Post:
Positive Cynic (10-09-2011)
Closed Thread