It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Stroke Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2010, 09:19 AM   #1
(female)

mollotm HB User
Experience with massive right side stroke needed!

All,

My mom suffered a stroke 10 days ago to the right side of her brain (clot). From the scans the damage is very significant (50+%).

She is extremely sleepy drifting in and out of consciousness. When she is conscious she can answer all questions correctly, open her eyes, see (although her vision is limited to her right side), move her right side and her left leg, they haven't tested her swallow because she has been so sleepy but they don't believe she can.

The two things I would like to hear about from people who have experienced or cared for someone who experienced this type of severe stroke:

How long did the drifting in and out of consciousness continue and at what point were you/they able to regain consciousness for long periods of time?

When did your ability to swallow food come back?

Thanks!

Old 03-12-2010, 12:02 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

friendsville HB User
Re: Experience with massive right side stroke needed!

I didn't see any reply to your concerns,but here are my comments.Our family has not had a stroke that I know of.I had a mini-stroke and was ok,and put on a blood thinner.I would look on the 'net,and get more info.Your Doctor can tell you too,of course.I feel your pain,and know how devastating a major stroke brings. Do your best. Bill

Last edited by friendsville; 03-12-2010 at 12:03 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-12-2010, 05:11 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Brocallie HB UserBrocallie HB UserBrocallie HB UserBrocallie HB UserBrocallie HB User

I am a rehab professional and have worked with hundreds of people who have had strokes. It is hard to give you answers as each and every patient is so different.

Interestingly, a few years ago I attended a conference on strokes and the one most important and accurate symptom that would predict prognosis was continence, especially of bowels. Those who remained incontinent of bowels had much less likelihood of making an appreciable and functional recovery than those who are continent. As I looked back at the patients in my career and at the future patients I had after learning that, I would say that it is very true.

Good luck to you and your mom on this hard journey!

The Following User Says Thank You to Brocallie For This Useful Post:
stellar7 (09-20-2012)
Old 03-12-2010, 07:01 PM   #4
(female)

mollotm HB User

Thanks. That is very helpful.

Old 03-12-2010, 07:02 PM   #5
(female)

mollotm HB User

friendsville - Thanks for the encouragement

Old 03-13-2010, 11:33 AM   #6
(female)

chris tweedie HB User
Hi I had a stroke about 4 years ago,which also affected my right side, yes I was drifting in and out of consious ness, the main thing you must remember is that she may be able to hear you even thou she is asleep, I could hear loads of what was going on. I have made a good recovery but still not work.

look there is sometimes light at the end of the tunnel but it takes hard work no pain no gain, this was said to me in my early days and I always remembered it it will take time and it change my life

Last edited by moderator2; 03-13-2010 at 12:44 PM. Reason: posted contact info - please read the posting rules

Old 06-28-2010, 07:54 AM   #7
(female)

stellar7 HB User

Hi,
I had the same kind of stroke as your Mom in January of í06. I think I was fairly consistently conscious within the first week; maybe after a few days. I do remember having swallowing problems for a few weeks. I was determined to walk and did ok with that (with a cane).
My biggest problem has always been my left hand and arm. After four years, my fingers still form a claw, but as time goes on and I constantly work them, they are much easier to open and I am bound and determined to type again with both hands one day.
Good luck to you and your Mom.
Sherrie

Old 06-28-2010, 09:54 AM   #8
(male)

glen22222 HB User

My damage was only about 30% of my right brain, never did have any swallowing problems. Have your doctor describe exactly what areas of the brain were damaged and the functions they covered. With that knowledge maybe your therapists can devise a program for recovering the penumbra and then the dead brain area. It will be a lot of hard work and only the survivor can do the work, there are no magic bullets.

Closed Thread