It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Stroke Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2010, 01:04 PM   #61
Senior Veteran
(male)

Positive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB User
Re: I had a stroke in January of 2010.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaycon View Post
Hello,
Arn't dogs great they are always there wagging their tails no matter what mood we are in. I'm a bit down today my blood pressure has had a blip, it really annoys me that this happens as it was the blood pressure that caused my stroke, so i worry about it which makes it worse!!! I only need 1 bad reading and thats it off I go stressing. I am so daft with it when I take it it's only the 1st reading thats bad the others are really good and I take them in quick sucesstion so in about 3mins it's down to 118/79, I can go for months without this happening, mind you I have got a head cold so i'm not sure whether that affects it. The Dr says as long as it comes back down there is nothing to worry about but hey ho she didn't have the stroke so easy for her to say. On a good note tho the sensation in my left hand is getting better especially over the last few days instead of feeling like bits of fuzzy wood they now jut feel like I've had a bad case of pins and needles and it's going away (if that makes any sense!) which is really good, so even after nearly a year there is vast improvements that seem to happen all on their own, so thats good news for us all. Sorry I sound so misserable today hopefully I will be feeling better later. Take care Kay.
Kay,
I hope you are feeling better soon, I know you will be. I know it's so hard when one thing happens and then it's a chain reaction. Everything just goes from one after another. The anxiety I get (just out of the blue) for no reason just starts your bp right away which makes more anxiety, it's maddening. This goes back to the dogs. I will just play with Lola a little bit and it seems to everything better. You know that dog is God backwards.

I'm glad you hand is feeling better that is refreshing and yes your pins and needles feeling makes perfect sense.

Have a good day.
Blessings,
Tim

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-20-2010, 01:32 PM   #62
Senior Veteran
(male)

Positive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chloe1252 View Post
So sorry to hear of those having a bad time of it lately.

Yes, anxiety is right up there as a problem. I get most anxious and nervous at night, so try and do breathing exercises to calm down and tell myself that the little 'funny feeling" I'm having is NOT another stroke. Just a tingle anywhere is enough to make me panic. I'm thinking something like yoga could be helpful for both anxiety and BP...?

Another dog lover here! Yes, petting my dog Abby and looking into her loving eyes has a great calming effect and there's no pressure being with her as there sometimes is being with people. If I'm zonked out for hours, she'll zonk out next to me. If I feel like taking her for a walk, she's there! If I just want to hug her, she's willing! I wish I could say the same for my cats. They cause me terrible stress by running in front of me (I don't want to fall a 3rd time!) and nagging me day and night. Cats raise your BP!! I sometimes feel like choking them to death..

I'm really glad I found this forum, since I had no idea that there could be the kind of after effects I've experienced and I see many of you have as well.

Kay, glad to hear your hand is regaining feeling. That's very encouraging. I spent a few hours this week with my good arm immobilized and forcing myself to do all my tasks with my bad arm/hand - as much as possible anyway. I did stay away from the dishes though!

Janet, you sound like you have an awful lot on your plate. Have you considered something like yoga or self-hypnosis to relieve anxiety? I tried the self hyp. in the past and did find it quite helpful.

I just got back from physio, am feeling quite positive today and one step closer to getting back the wheel of my car!

Here's hopes that today will end up better than it started for all here!
Good afternoon Chloe,
I too get anxiety in the midday of the night. Once that happens, I can't go back to sleep. So it's a long 3 hours laying there. Then the next day is shot before you even start.

Chloe I just wanted you to say that you made me laugh about your cats. I am exactly the same way. Our cat was getting old and he started peein and pooping all over the house. So he could only be in the garage our the back yard fence. He used to scratch on the door like a dog. So he would scratch on the gargage door, put his outside, hour later, scratch on the sliding door, back in the garage over and over all day, everyday. I felt like I couldn't do anything else. And he had a litter box in the garage and he would try it, but he would just pee on the wall. That stupid cat would not go outside, only in the box. And I had to watch he every second in the house (he had to get between each place) being afraid he was going to pee again in the house. So yes I know much well the cat BP shuffle.

Luckily we put him down about a month ago or so. and boy was that better for my sanity. I told my wife "NO MORE ANIMALS!!!"

The funny thing is, I cried 2 hours straight after we let the thing down.

Bless you Chloe,
Talk to you soon
Tim

Last edited by Positive Cynic; 04-20-2010 at 01:58 PM.

Old 04-20-2010, 02:34 PM   #63
(female)

Kaycon HB UserKaycon HB User
Thumbs up Re: I had a stroke in January of 2010.

Hello everyone
Thank you all for your support I know we all get down from time to time. Tim if you feel low let us know we all know where you are coming from. Sometimes when you write it down it helps, I felt much better after I said (typed) how I was feeling and quess what my bp seems to be settling down. I am on medication for anxiety as that is the reason I have high bp there is no medical reason for the high bp so I do it myself how looney is that! I also have, cats 6 of them and I agree I really don't know how they can ever say that cats are calming they drive me insane, they are so tempermental they only want your company on their terms, mind you I wouldn't be without any of my pets, even when they are a pain at least it gives me something else to think about. Chloe you had me really chuckling over your cats I soooo know what you mean, it was the chocking them that did it, thank you for making me laugh. I hope you are feeling better Janet anxiety is a terrible thing I have always been a worry wart but the stroke seems to have emphasized it. Keep your chin up and let us know how you are doing, I hope like me talking about it will help. Take care all of you Kay

Old 04-20-2010, 06:36 PM   #64
Inactive
(female)

Chloe1252 HB User

My cats are a mother and son - both totally feral cats I trapped since they were living under my shed. The son is now a total big suck. I can't sit down without having him on my lap constantly.. His mom is still feral and if happen to walk near her she runs for her life as though saying "EEK - it's the cat murderer...RUN!"

It's a good thing I don't have any neighbours too close. If they heard me yelling things like "I'm going to kill you!!..or "I'll beat you senseless!" they might call the authorities. Unfortunately my cats know it's all a bluff and sneer at me.

Tim, I know what you mean when you say:
Quote:
I can't go back to sleep. So it's a long 3 hours laying there. Then the next day is shot before you even start.
For some reason I can no longer sleep past 5 - 6 a.m. so if I went to bed a bit late, I'm wasted all the next day since lack of sleep now leaves me dizzy, fuzzy and drained.

I'm sorry for your cat but for future reference when a cat starts messing all over the place there's usually a medical reason (bladder stones or crystals, kidney failure etc) for it so a vet visit is needed to alleviate suffering.

Anyway, I've found out what a difference a day makes. My session today at the physio was just awesome and for the first time in nearly a month I"m walking without pain. Just a few days ago I was very depressed thinking I'd never get over all this, but now have hope I will. We really do need to literally take one day at time and try not to get worried about what tomorrow might bring...although that's much easier said than done.

Tim, your humour forum sounds great...I've read that laughter is actually physically healing, so I see that we're all keeping our senses of humour and that's gotta help!! And please complain all you want - no one here will fault you. I've done enough complaining to last a lifetime!

Old 04-20-2010, 09:50 PM   #65
(male)

eemgee HB Usereemgee HB User

Tim
I'm sorry that music doesn't help calm you.
Being a musician must make you realise what a help it could be & what a pity it's
not helping you.
When I was a teenager I started learning classical guitar but after 2 years I realised that it was no good & that I'd never become a musician 'cause I concentrated on trying to master the music that I wasn't really enjoying playing the instrument, & that everything sounded so wooden. I really envy you for your being able to play & I do hope it all comes back I'm sure it will.
I like light classical music but since my stroke I have really taken to american bluegrass especially the banjo for some strange reason.
Just goes to show how the world turns upside down once we have a stroke.
Its a pity we can't add photos on this forum, we could all post photos of our pets.
Wayne

Old 04-22-2010, 01:12 PM   #66
(female)

Hello everyone,
Well I gave in and went back to the docs about my bp and yet another pill has been added to my picnic of pills. Strange tho it seemed to work very quickly, last night it was very good 120/78 and it's been perfect all day today. I hate how I let this bp problem rule my life. They tell me that I am controling it myself I wish I could make it work in my favour.
Tim
It's odd how the stroke seems to affect our hearing or how we hear things, I am lucky in that it hasn't affected how I hear music but I really can't cope with a lot of voices or loud noises anymore. I also can't cope with the cold I really shiver to a point where it stops me being able to walk properly (not that my walking is that good) but when I am cold I know how bad it could be. But like my hand I am hoping that will improve too, so with a bit of luck Tim your hearing of music will get better, it's very early days for you yet. From what I have read on this forum we keep improving years after.
Wayne
It would be lovely if we could put pictures on of our pets, I also tried learning an instrument the piano but I realised that it was best to other people to play and for me to listen.
Chloe
I get all fuzzy and drained after lack of sleep sometimes I sleep from 10pm to midnight then that's it awake the rest of the night, thats when I get my maudling thoughts of another stroke and that will be it. The sleepless nights are very lonely. Then the next day I say stop being so daft, they have told me the chances of this happening me me again are very slim so I'm one of the lucky ones.
Speak to you all soon Kay

Old 04-22-2010, 02:59 PM   #67
Inactive
(female)

Chloe1252 HB User

I too would love to see pet pics! Seeing other people's spoiled brats always makes me smile and feel good!

Music has always been important to me, although I play no instruments (I'd love to!) and "can't carry a tune in a bucket" as my mother always said! Trying to watch TV is another matter and I really cannot concentrate on much of anything unless it's really riveting.

I see that others like Kay (so sorry to hear this!) have much worse sleep problems than I so I won't complain about that! Night does seem to be the worst time for most of us. When someone calls me around 9 or so, I jump for the phone and so welcome the chance to chat and take my mind off my fears for as long as possible.

We have to take our successes where we can get them and I'm thrilled that I haven't crashed into one single door frame or wall for nearly a week! Maybe the bruises on my arms can finally fade and I can stop cursing a blue streak!

Old 04-22-2010, 03:09 PM   #68
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User

Hello friends!

Tim your idea about answering each post individually makes a lot of sense to me, but I still have not learned how to do the quote box thing. Would someone please walk me though it? I have tried, but I just don't get it.

I also want to respond to everyone, I can tell this is a group that I want to be in for a long time, so I have a lot to learn about everyone. So, here are the topics I wrote down...in no particular order.

OK to be down
I love this one...I can't tell you how many times I have glossed over some real difficult times, just to always be "positive". Thank you for making it OK to down...After all, we are survivors of traumatic brain injury. It's a tough road, and who could understand like we do? As I have seen mentioned several times, no one in typical medical treatment has had one!

Self Hypnosis
I think I will give this a try! I have several experiences at hypnosis shows, where I was very easily hypnotized, and became part of the show. I loved it. Any book store, or where would I find tapes or CD's...online?

Sports car in the garage
In my case, it was my 1962 Chevy truck, shortbed, stepside, half ton, all original. It happily sat and waited for me till the big day finally came, 4 years after strokes. My family had begged me to get rid of it, but there was no way. Getting back behind the wheel of that baby gave me a big chunk of ME... right back. With the lack of power steering, and brakes, just driving is a good measure of basic fitness for me. I am still staying close to home, but driving again is a big deal!

Loud noises
Me too! I jump out of my skin and startle so easily, it's intense. I have found that TV in the background is annoying, and sound tracks that include screaming, yelling, glass breaking, etc. is too much to handle.

And last but not least, anxiety. I have had to go on medication yesterday to relieve my anxiety, as my bp's are in the stroke zone...200/100 at times (even after the regimen of bp meds, exercise, diet), and a stress free home. Although I don't feel it, and I feel some sort shame or embarrassment about having to take it (zanex .25, twice a day). Today I had a head to toe scan of my carotid arteries...with three more tests lined up for Monday and Tuesday. I am in pain with endometriosis, requiring narcotic pain medication), and will be starting dialysis soon. It just is too much.

Sorry for rambling on..Love you all!

Old 04-22-2010, 05:54 PM   #69
(female)

Alberta1967 HB UserAlberta1967 HB UserAlberta1967 HB UserAlberta1967 HB UserAlberta1967 HB UserAlberta1967 HB UserAlberta1967 HB UserAlberta1967 HB UserAlberta1967 HB User

Ok I think I will jump in on this. I had my stroke 5 years ago at the age of 37. At the time I had a 13 yr old son,7 yr old son, 22 month old son, & a 5 month old daughter. The noise from them was bad then but now...................... I can't stand it. When we get in my car my now 12 yr old son wants to listen to rap, hard rock, or whatever they call it now.He also wants to turn it up LOUD,LOUD,LOUD.The rule in my family has always been whoever is driving has control of the radio. And I stand by that.

Old 04-22-2010, 07:17 PM   #70
(male)

eemgee HB Usereemgee HB User

I am amazed at how many of us on this thread have similar symptoms and yet the doctors don't seem to see any similar patterns.
I have the strange feelings like the pins & needles sensation down the side of my left face, down through my body, my left arm & hand and down into my left leg.
I can't stand loud noises and waking early at 5am I'm familiar with.
Tim,
I don't know if I'll ever drive again I've been told that the stroke has given me a problem with spatial perception which was explained as not being able to judge distances between & from objects in front of me.
I'd never forgive myself if I killed someone especially a child by driving when told not to.
Tim I know its early days yet but have you found any improvement in your music recognition? I hope you keep up with your playing, let us all know how its going.
Best rgards to everyone, hope you all have a good day
Wayne

Old 04-22-2010, 08:24 PM   #71
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eemgee View Post
I am amazed at how many of us on this thread have similar symptoms and yet the doctors don't seem to see any similar patterns.
I have the strange feelings like the pins & needles sensation down the side of my left face, down through my body, my left arm & hand and down into my left leg.
I can't stand loud noises and waking early at 5am I'm familiar with.
Tim,
I don't know if I'll ever drive again I've been told that the stroke has given me a problem with spatial perception which was explained as not being able to judge distances between & from objects in front of me.
I'd never forgive myself if I killed someone especially a child by driving when told not to.
Tim I know its early days yet but have you found any improvement in your music recognition? I hope you keep up with your playing, let us all know how its going.
Best rgards to everyone, hope you all have a good day
Wayne
Hello everyone!!
I haven't been here in a few days because of computer problems, but I'm back. Yay!! I did not realize how much this thread means to me when it wasn't there. I got really depressed when I couldn't write and read here. You all have helped me more than you will know in my recovery and I hope I can do it in kind.

First Alberta, thank you for joining us. I hope you come back soon and often. And I think that we all agree about the noise or confusion is very hard to take.

Janet I wanted to say quick before i forget. When you read a post and want to respond, there are two blue buttons. one says quick reply and the other says quote reply. click quote reply and it comes up automatic. Then go to the end of the quote you are referring for your response. It really is handy for us so you can keep refering back, because we all know it's hard to keep all of the short memory in place. If you have any problems just ask here and we will all help. Chole helped me a few times here when I just started.

Wayne, thanks for your concern about the music. It actually is coming back slowly. I think that part of the really bad depression I had right after the stroke was I felt like I lost my best friend in an instant. But thankfully my friend is sneaking back in to my life. I picked up my guitar a few weeks ago to the first time and I was afraid to see what was going to happen. But luckily I could remember all chords and my fingers worked fine. But could not remember a song to save my life. Well I have now able to play two songs, thru some hard work, so that felt pretty good. It even made my cry to play my first full song for the first time since the stroke.

See ya soon friends
Tim

Last edited by Positive Cynic; 04-23-2010 at 08:31 AM.

Old 04-23-2010, 01:44 PM   #72
(female)

Hello everyone
Welcome Alberta gosh you were young for your stroke, how did you cope with such young children. I take my hat off to you for your strength. Maybe I shouldn't say this but I really don't like the music that the kids seem to get so much out of these days, there doesn't seem to be any tune to it (showing my age now!) bet our parents said that about our music too, funny thing is I like to sit and listen to the music I grew up with that my mum always had playing I would cringe at it at the time.
Chloe yeah I think we all spoil our pets mine get away with a lot more than my children ever did haha! You really do make me laugh at your humour you really need to try and stop bouncing off the walls, I do the same thing and it hurts. I have got real visions of me doing it out shopping and bouncing off a person and I can't swear at them the way I do the walls haha!
Wayne it is odd that the Dr's don't seem to have picked up on a familiar pattern with common problems we all get, it doesn't seem to matter what kind of stroke or which side has been affected we all get similar sensations and feelings, I can't be the only person on her patient list that has had a stroke.
Janet this bp problem is awful it's the bug bare of my life, do you know why yours has gone up? I read an article about 2mths ago about trials they are doing apparently there is an operation they can do that will bring bp back to low readings. A man has had it done and within 3 weeks he was off alll meds, it's something to do with a nerve they stop it sending messages to the brain not sure how but if it ever got offered to me I would take it, I would be terrified but it would be better than having to monitor bp all the time. I too am on med for anxiety I went on it about a month ago, I have to say I refused it constantly in hospital but they said sort my anxiety out and that would sort out my bp, but I stupidly and I really don't know why I put a stigma on taking them how daft is that, but I really think it was the best thing I did, my anxiety was ruling my life I felt jittery and shaky all the time in the end I didn't want to go out I kept anticipating feeling faint and woozy so it was better to stay in, it also put my bp up, so please don't feel embarrased about it you have enough to deal with without anxiety as well. I hope you feel better soon.
Tim welcome back it's great that you music is creeping back, it really makes you feel that things will get back to normal when bits of our lives/feelings come back.
Take care everyone Kay

Old 04-24-2010, 08:56 AM   #73
Senior Veteran
(male)

Good Morning All,
I hope the day will be a good one for all. I just wanted to give my two cents on the blood pressure subject since it seems to be a common thing with us all. For me, I have stopped all meds except for my blood pressure. I even stopped that but when my bp went to 196/100 I started to take it again so now it's getting back to an almost normal level. But the other meds stuff, I just stopped and I'm feeling a little better. I don't feel dizzy as much as I used to. I seem like I have a little more energy, but I really can't tell because I get so fatigued so quickly. I don't know what any of those meds where anyway and I'm doing o.k. I also stopped checking my bp all the time. All it did was stress my out and it never made sense anyway. A day when I thought it must be high, it would be low, and when I thought it would be good, it was sky high. So I just said, well it is what it is, the only thing I can do is take the bp meds. I only look at it maybe ever other day just to monitor it a little bit.

I want to ask something that we have not touched on yet, and that is nightmares. For me pre-stroke yes I would have nightmares, but once every 3 months if even that. Since my stroke I have had nightmares almost every night. Some nights I would have two, another one if I fall asleep for just waking up from one. Sometimes I'm afraid to fall asleep because I don't want another nightmare. Does any one else have this problem? And this may sound really weird, but this is the only way I can describe this. In my whole life, my dreams have always happened in a certain "room". Since my stroke, I feel like I'm dreaming in another "room". It's like all new places, all new scenarios, all different people, which would be fine if it was serene, but it is very unnerving. Does that make sense to any one?? You friends are the only ones I would even ask that question. I'm just curious.

I hate to leave on a down note, but my wife just found out yesterday that she needs an operation in July. Her thyroid (sic?) is totally dead, doesn't work at all anymore. They are not even doing a biopsy (sic?) now. They are just going to look it all when it all comes out. So we won't know if it's cancer until after the operation. The thing about this whole opertaion made my wife cry, not from the operation, she cried when they said she may not be able to sing anymore. My wife and I have worked together for years in music. I would play the instruments and she would sing. I bet we have written and recorded 50 songs together over the years. So I'm trying to back into the music thing and now, she may not be singing anyway.

It has been said that God will only bare you as much as you can handle. Well, He must think I'm pretty strong right now - but hey, you guy upstairs, can you just ease it up a little for me?

Sorry everyone. Every one reading here has their own story and has their own cross to bare. I guess I'm just a little more vocal than most.

Bless you all from the bottom of my heart,
Tim

Last edited by Positive Cynic; 04-24-2010 at 09:30 AM.

Old 04-24-2010, 02:27 PM   #74
(female)

Hello everyone,
Tim big hugs to your wife, I too had thyriod problems I have got a goiter, luckily it hasn't caused me any problems and they did all the tests on it. Your wife must feel like she is really being kicked in the teeth right now. Hopefully she will be able to sing again and all will work out well for her. I like you hope that things will ease up, I am hoping that as they say things come in three's my lot has finished. I am not sure about your nightmares I have only had a few, it could be that your life has changed for you and that your dreams are reflecting how you feel about it (not much help sorry!) maybe one of our other friends will have some better imput on it. I am off to a horse show tomorrow my daughter competes at them so I am looking forward to that, we are hoping the weather will be good. It's her first show on this horse so it should be interesting.
Speak to you soon take care Kay

Old 04-24-2010, 03:08 PM   #75
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaycon View Post
Hello everyone,
Tim big hugs to your wife, I too had thyriod problems I have got a goiter, luckily it hasn't caused me any problems and they did all the tests on it. Your wife must feel like she is really being kicked in the teeth right now. Hopefully she will be able to sing again and all will work out well for her. I like you hope that things will ease up, I am hoping that as they say things come in three's my lot has finished. I am not sure about your nightmares I have only had a few, it could be that your life has changed for you and that your dreams are reflecting how you feel about it (not much help sorry!) maybe one of our other friends will have some better imput on it. I am off to a horse show tomorrow my daughter competes at them so I am looking forward to that, we are hoping the weather will be good. It's her first show on this horse so it should be interesting.
Speak to you soon take care Kay
Hi Kay thanks,
We will be fine, I was just venting a little. Yes I forgot to say that my wife has goiter too - I don't even know what that is, but it sounds like it may go along with thyroid problems. Thanks for the nightmare response. If we don't know something, that's why we ask. I was just trying to know if that is common too, or if it is just something with me. Your daughter is competing in a horse show? WOW, that is very impressive. I hope she does well. It should be fun for you too, getting out and taking your mind off for awhile.
Blessings,
Tim

Closed Thread