It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Stroke Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2010, 09:16 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

Positive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB User
Stroke is OK

Bless you all,

Last edited by Positive Cynic; 04-14-2010 at 04:16 AM.

Old 04-03-2010, 02:01 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

SamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB User
Re: Stroke is OK

Hi there Positive Cynic,

It sounds as if you had some aphasia from the stroke. I had a thankfully very mild stroke, but I also had aphasia. Depending on how severe, it can take quite a while to get better. If you're not seeing a speech therapist, then I highly recommend it...just make sure it's one who's experienced in dealing with stroke/aphasia patients.

It takes a while after a stroke for the brain to work out new pathways so that your thoughts come out clear. The first few days after my stroke, I couldn't form a logical, complete sentence, and I kept getting my pronouns mixed up...all men were "she" and all women were "he"...and of course occasionally using totally incorrect words, as in "I'm going to WEAR chicken for dinner"...since I actually could catch myself doing that by the 4th or 5th day, it provided great source of amusement for me. The other thing I did was to recite tongue twisters, like Peter Pepper picked a peck of pickled peppers, etc. At first I couldn't get the words to come out right...knew them in my brain but couldn't get them from my brain to my mouth...but my doctor and my speech pathologist were amazed at how quickly things started coming back, and I am convinced that practicing those tongue twisters helped.

I think you are quite smart to start a thread like this...writing and talking help us to start getting better. If you can proof read your entries and see how many mistakes you can correct, that will also help, believe it or not. But don't worry if you can't correct everything...just keep writing and talking! And please, do see a speech pathologist if you haven't already.

Ruth

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-12-2010, 10:01 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Positive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB User
Re: The Stroke Forum

Hi everyone,
This is what I wrote yesterday in another thread, so you can see what I'm talking about at the stroke forum.

"I had worked about an hour to say some things to all of my friends here. I am sure you all know how long it takes to try and say something. It takes my an hour to think what I want to post and another hour to type it down.

Anyway - I had about 2 sentences to to finish and post it and the electric went out and everything was lost and I don't know if I even remember what I was saying. I am trying not to be mad - because I have learned it makes it worse - but darn it darn it darn it (politely) give me break for god's sake."

Anything to add Chloe?? :-)

Last edited by Positive Cynic; 04-12-2010 at 10:08 AM.

Old 04-12-2010, 11:22 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Re: I had a stroke in January of 2010.

So I am sitting here and waiting for something, and I don't know what I'm waiting for. I do talk to my dog more. I will tell her "da tatty do watty do tooty pooh dat te widdy to da wooty to to." and she seems to know exactly what I'm saying. The funniest thing is that my daughter brought home "Lola" that was a mutt that someone found her walking in the street and I said, "Absolutly not!!" So our daughter snuck her in the house anyway. Now that doufuss is my good buddy especially when I'm alone. When I first got home from the hospital, Lola came and sat right next to me and knew that her something was wrong with daddy. She was only 1 year old and was a llittle wild, but when I got home, she became a perfect dog and started listening right away, and now she's my buddy. So weird how things can change in an instant and your life and thoughts become waaaaay different than your (pre-stroke) days.

So after I wait (for what I don't know) I think I will go talk to Lola and tell her one more "daddy to to wuv her wittle poo poo willte poo poo" and she will look at me and smile.
See you in a few,
Tim

Last edited by Positive Cynic; 04-12-2010 at 11:30 AM.

Old 04-12-2010, 12:04 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

OK,
Have you ever done this? You are at your old friends for the first time after your stroke (that is scary enough) but just you want to say somebody to "HI!!! YOU DON'T HAVE TO TALK LOUD!!! I CAN HEAR JUST FINE!!!"

It's nobody's fault. It's weird for everyone.
It effects not only us, but every person we know

Wow, that felt better, how about you???

Last edited by Positive Cynic; 04-19-2010 at 09:14 AM. Reason: please try using the Quick Reply button instead of Quote Reply

Old 04-12-2010, 12:20 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

Chloe1252 HB UserChloe1252 HB UserChloe1252 HB UserChloe1252 HB UserChloe1252 HB UserChloe1252 HB UserChloe1252 HB User

Tim, you mention a good point: Pets can be truly theraputic. They don't care if we're clumsy or talking funny or acting funny and if we're upset they comfort us. My dog loves me just as much now as she did before, and there is the added benefit that she MAKES me get out for a walk each day. Holding her leash strengthens my arm as well!

Anyway, some gripes as well: since I returned from the hospital on Mar 18, I've fallen twice in my home and injured my hip so badly that my physio sessions had to spent on that instead of my stroke rehab. I was so angry and frustrated at this setback. I'm also now very fearful walking around my house as I'm terrified to fall again.

I live alone and my biggest fear is losing my independance. It's hard to think about every step you take before you take it when you're used to being an active and independant person. I see myself creeping up my stairs like an old lady and despair of ever being myself again.

It does feel good to express all that!

Tim, I see you only had your stroke in Jan. That's pretty recent. What type of rehab or physio are you getting?

Old 04-12-2010, 01:34 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

Hi Clhoe,
I am so sorry that you are alone I hope that you are doing ok about that - tho some days that's exactly what I want. HOw do I know what I want? You will be fine, I'm sure that you have a good soul and a strong person that will get you through. Just thanks for talking. I wrote you another thread to start, I just wanted to talk to someone at that person second. The way that your emotions just go nuts are hard to adjust. I'm having a great time and then I start crying. The roller coaster of your emotuions are so weird. But I just keep coming back here, it's kind of my life now.
Oh, what kind of dog do you have? (i wrote god first instead of dog at first, but maybe that's not too far) so what is your little angels's name?
Thanks,
Tim

Last edited by moderator2; 04-12-2010 at 01:36 PM. Reason: please try using the Quick Reply button instead of Quote Reply

Old 04-12-2010, 04:32 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

Chloe1252 HB UserChloe1252 HB UserChloe1252 HB UserChloe1252 HB UserChloe1252 HB UserChloe1252 HB UserChloe1252 HB User

My dog is a mutt...Aussie mix I think..and I adopted her nearly 1 year ago. She was 9 years old and abandoned. No one wanted her so the rescue group asked if I would foster her. I did, and fell in love. She's not the dog I wanted - she's too big, too old and wrong breed, but somehow she's just perfect.

She makes me smile and laugh every day, and laughter is so important. I believe it can help us heal. I adopted a dog after my husband died when I thought I'd never smile again but I did!

I'm sure your dog helps you too. Unconditional love is good for the soul.

Last edited by Chloe1252; 04-12-2010 at 04:33 PM.

Old 04-12-2010, 05:31 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chloe1252 View Post
My dog is a mutt...Aussie mix I think..and I adopted her nearly 1 year ago. She was 9 years old and abandoned. No one wanted her so the rescue group asked if I would foster her. I did, and fell in love. She's not the dog I wanted - she's too big, too old and wrong breed, but somehow she's just perfect.

She makes me smile and laugh every day, and laughter is so important. I believe it can help us heal. I adopted a dog after my husband died when I thought I'd never smile again but I did!

I'm sure your dog helps you too. Unconditional love is good for the soul.
Hi Chloe,
Your little mutt looks like a good fit for you, just like my mutt is perfect for me. Those silly things can get close to you quick, huh?. Im sorry, but your story about your story, made me cry. I hope crying is ok for us because I sure do alot anymore.

So I wanted to ask a question about sleeping. To me, the best sleep i get is between in 7 and 9 pm while I lay on the couch. My wife gets home about 9 from work and some time I am asleep on the couch. She asked me if I am drunk and I say that I are not. My whole body schedule is differnt now. I now that she is very patienct but I get a good 2 hours on the sleeps on the couch and that's pretty much about it. While she (or other people for of a better word) is sleeping in the middle on the night i am wild awake. I don't want to wake her so I just lay there and worry. By the time I get to fall asleep, it is time for everyone to get up and go to school and the normal thinks of the day. Then I am exhausted and the day is just starting.
Does that make sense? Do you have problems sleeping too?

Just wondering. I just wanted to say hi because without a person that doesn't know a stroke is, there is no way for them to know.
Thanks for talking back my good friend.
Tim

The following user gives a hug of support to Positive Cynic:
ennbee (04-09-2011)
Old 04-12-2010, 08:04 PM   #10
Inactive
(female)

Yes, I have sleeping problems. No matter what time I go to bed I wake up between 5 and 6a.m. So I have to go to bed earlier now. If I don't then I'm so wiped out all day I can do nothing but sit in my lazyboy chair, dozing. Not enough sleep also makes me feel shaky and weak.

Maybe you could try skipping the 7 - 9 nap and see if that helps you sleep through the night? Are you able to take your dog for a little walk during the day? I find the fresh air from my dog walking calms me and helps me fall asleep at a reasonable hour. IF that doesn't work then an Ativan does.

If you really can't sleep don't lie in bed worrying. Get up and do something....maybe read awhile if you are able to concentrate, do a jigsaw puzzle, write a letter etc....all good mental exercises and tiring enough to maybe send you back to sleep.

Old 04-13-2010, 01:07 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Yes, I have sleeping problems. No matter what time I go to bed I wake up between 5 and 6a.m. So I have to go to bed earlier now. If I don't then I'm so wiped out all day I can do nothing but sit in my lazyboy chair, dozing. Not enough sleep also makes me feel shaky and weak.

Maybe you could try skipping the 7 - 9 nap and see if that helps you sleep through the night? Are you able to take your dog for a little walk during the day? I find the fresh air from my dog walking calms me and helps me fall asleep at a reasonable hour. IF that doesn't work then an Ativan does.

If you really can't sleep don't lie in bed worrying. Get up and do something....maybe read awhile if you are able to concentrate, do a jigsaw puzzle, write a letter etc....all good mental exercises and tiring enough to maybe send you back to sleep.
Chloe,
Yep it was three a.m. like clockwork again tonight. So, I really thank you for keeping in touch. I know you are right about the taking your dog walking and she loves it, but I am scared to death that someone will talk to me while I'm out. And I don't talk well, then I have to start, oh I had a stroke, and I am tired of having to tell people that, but if i don't, then I know I sound like i'm stupid and i'm not. oh well, just talking. thanks i hear from you soon.
Tim

Old 04-13-2010, 09:04 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:

Hi Chloe,
How are you? I hope you are having a good day today. I am just talking. And doing whatever we do with strokes. but at least you understand. I think that I have things that were deleted here. I don't know if I said something wrong or if just can't see where I typed it. This forum is a saver for myself. And if anyone Dr.s is out there - thank you you forum watchers from the forum. I hope that i did not say something that got deleted.
Thank yoiu doctors to have this place where we can talk. I know that this is done from doctors to help others and there are a million other threads going on here and every people that have other things going on.

But I really want to say that thank you for Dr.s to putting this out. I must say many Dr.s from my stroke that are just so nice. and I know they what me to get better. But if someone sees this, thank you so much for putting this little thing you do here for people to talk to to you

Chloe, thank yo for being there. Some days I feel like I could just delete everything I said ever because I feel so stupid, but I just am thankful for the posting. I don't think I would have found it without my wife.

So they probably won't see it, but thank you Dr.'s for caring and trying to help other piople out. if you can read it thanks.

Old 04-13-2010, 11:36 AM   #13
Inactive
(female)

Nothing you said was deleted! The reason one of your posts was edited is because you are quoting the full post above it in each of your posts.

Instead of hitting "QUOTE REPLY" on the bottom right, go down the bottom LEFT of the post and hit "POST REPLY" instead.

Dont' think of deleting anything because you think it sounds "stupid". Practice is how we get better writing, talking, walking etc so just keep doing it!

Hope this helps!

Old 04-13-2010, 01:21 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(male)

I guess so. So thank you for listeing to my whining. I will take your suggestion. I used to have my own video production company and computers is what I did with shooting and editing, ect. Know I takes me hours to try and make a sentence. and can't make this thread thing work. I never, never get mad at anyone but myself. I am trying to say that I have to get in by brain, that it will not be the same like it used to be.

Ok, I'm not whining but telling the truth (and I will not blame about anyone) but after I got the stroke, 2 weeks later my wife on load off. She wasn't there long enough to get unemployment, so we have used all what we had, I can't work and the paperwork to get desebuity (sic) has been for months and now they want my to see another doctor. We litery have a 300 paperworks of what the hospital gave us and waited for weeks and just found to get more. I can't even do it, so my wife (bless her soul) has to do all of this crap when she gets home. And I sit there saying, "i'm not a doufouss, i'm not a doufouss" but if i tried to telling them something , i might write a wrong number or something and this is real important. So I'm like "why didn't you read the 300 papers we sent to you. You need more????" So we I have to go to one of "there doctors" I guess to make sure I am not faking - and I'm like duh??? do you think I want to be here asking you for your'e money????

In the mean time i was reading the paper (on a good day) and there is a thing that said that a guy just killed 2 peopole in his neighborhood and he was on "dis ability". What??? I am stretching here with my life and the guy was on disabilty???
God Lord all Mighty -- what is going on here?

Chloe thanks for listneing, jeez, i am not a baby and thinks will work out some, they always do. I'm just yelling at stuff. It actually feels better.

So thank you my good friend - I hope to see you very soon

Last edited by Positive Cynic; 04-13-2010 at 01:30 PM.

Old 04-13-2010, 05:07 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(male)

hi chloe,
i miss you buddy - your posts mine more than you know. I just let our gilrils to talk to them about what happened we haven't about it. I told them (both teeagers that we great) they sat and listended that dad is differnt. and please stop don't do what you. I am the one that has to adjust. Everything is normal to you guys. I probably told the I love you more that I ever had and I started crying. I said don't worry if I cry. I just do and cant stop. So you guys didn not do anylthing wrong.

I feel selfish sometimes because I know that all I talk to them is "my stroke" they are good kids and my life is the love of my life. but it made my brain differetn. I am not like I used to be as long as I try to make it so.

God bless my friend
Tim

Closed Thread