It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Stroke Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-13-2010, 08:55 AM   #1
(female)

shell35 HB User
Stroke at 35 years old

I am 35 years old. 2 weeks ago I had an acute ischemetic stroke due to taking birth control pills for years (no I do not smoke). I am having the hardest time trying to find any kind of information, support, related experiences, etc for my situation. I am doing very well physically - not all blood tests are back yet, but so far so good. However, I am having some difficult moments psychologically. It's been hard to wrap my brain around whats happened, mainly because of my age. I was put on birth control pills around 15/16 years old due to ovarian cysts (1 had become the size of a grapefruit that required surgery - hence the birth control). Now I find myself in uncharted territory. I can no longer take hormones - EVER! I don't know how to feel about all this, I'm not sure what the next steps are, I'm worried about my cyst problem & what if they start growing because I'm off of the pill.....so many questions, so many emotions, & so many worries.
If there is anyone out there with a similar experience, I would greatly appreciate the chance to "chat". I have a very supportive family/friends, but I need someone who really knows how and what I feel.
Thanks for taking the time to read!
Shell

Old 05-13-2010, 09:31 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Positive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB User
Re: Stroke at 35 years old

Quote:
Originally Posted by shell35 View Post
I am 35 years old. 2 weeks ago I had an acute ischemetic stroke due to taking birth control pills for years (no I do not smoke). I am having the hardest time trying to find any kind of information, support, related experiences, etc for my situation. I am doing very well physically - not all blood tests are back yet, but so far so good. However, I am having some difficult moments psychologically. It's been hard to wrap my brain around whats happened, mainly because of my age. I was put on birth control pills around 15/16 years old due to ovarian cysts (1 had become the size of a grapefruit that required surgery - hence the birth control). Now I find myself in uncharted territory. I can no longer take hormones - EVER! I don't know how to feel about all this, I'm not sure what the next steps are, I'm worried about my cyst problem & what if they start growing because I'm off of the pill.....so many questions, so many emotions, & so many worries.
If there is anyone out there with a similar experience, I would greatly appreciate the chance to "chat". I have a very supportive family/friends, but I need someone who really knows how and what I feel.
Shell
Hi Shell,
I am very aware of how you feel. It is so sad that this had to you in such a young age. Unfortunate, there is no "doctors" that can help you much because they do not know what you are going through. Pleas do not despair. It is still early in your stroke. It will get better, I promise. The first months after a stroke are like hell for us and everyone around us. You are not crazy and your feelings are normal.

Do you have a husband or kids? Just wanting to know because I will help you as much as I can. It is very scary and not knowing what the heck is going on.

Please right back asap. It is very important to talk to others that have had a stroke. We help each other more than you know. This was a great start for you. I always cry when I see new stroke survivors as I am dong now. But you are ok. I is very hard, but have told others that God only lets strong peopole get strokes, because they are strong enough to handle it.

Bless you child,
Tim

Last edited by Positive Cynic; 05-13-2010 at 09:33 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-13-2010, 02:24 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

Chloe1252 HB User

Hi Shell!

It's hard to understand why these happen, especially to someone so young.

I also had a stroke in March, due to no known cause. It's very frustrating when you can't point to one thing and say "Oh, that's why it happened", but this is often the case with strokes. My reading on the subject suggests that 30% of strokes have no readily apparent reason!

I'm sure you know that every medication, including BC pills, do have side effects and sometimes we are not really made aware of these effects. 16 years is along time to be taking those pills. My doctor took me off them when I was 34, due to elevated blood pressure. I've had normal BP ever since.

I'm sure your doctor will elect to do surgery to remove the cyst if necessary.

We certainly understand how you feel - the fear, anxiety and confusion and we'll help you with that in any way we can.

You may never have such an episode again but in the meantime, feel free to vent, complain, brag or just get sympathy here!

Old 05-14-2010, 06:00 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

estria HB Userestria HB Userestria HB Userestria HB User

Hello Shell,

I am very sorry to hear about your stroke but here is something that may put you at ease regarding the need for the pill to avoid ovarian cysts.

It is no longer standard protocol to put women on the pill in order to avoid getting ovarian cysts. The idea used to be that since the pill keeps women from ovulating (ie. growing normal graaphian follicles or follicular cysts) then no cysts will grow.

However, abnormal cysts such as the big one you had when you were 15 will happen with or without the pill and there are a few studies that have been done over the past years that prove that the birth control pill neither prevents cysts from forming nor hastens their disappearance. This means that although you may get the normal follicular cysts which come and go with ovulation every month, these are completely normal and do not need to be removed with surgery. For the other abnormal types, taking the pill will do absolutely NOTHING.

In addition, the newer birth control pills have such a low estrogen content that they are discovering that they don't even keep women from ovulating. Women still ovulate on the newest generation of pills and the effectiveness of these pills comes from the high progesterone content, which keeps the uterine lining very thin making pregnancy extremely unlikely.

I was on the pill for over 20 years when I started to experience heavy irregular uterine bleeding and all sorts of other pelvic pain issues. They discovered I had an abnormal cyst which I had to have removed through surgery. When I went off the pill, the bleeding stopped so my uterus must have atrophied and become fragile in those twenty years of progesterone abuse. I will NEVER go back on that thing again and would not recommend it to anyone. My doctor kept me on the pill even after 35 years of age and I was overweight at the time (I am now of a healthy weight). I hate him for that and will check every single thing that he recommends to me from now on. I will never blindly obey my doctor's instructions until I have checked everything out myself and agree with his assessment.

I hope your recovery is swift. You are still young so I am certain that you will make a full recovery, both physically and mentally. I consider all health crises to be turning points in our lives and it is really true that whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. You are now much stronger and wiser (about the pill) than you were before.

Take good care of yourself.

Estria

Old 05-18-2010, 07:54 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User

Hello Shell, and welcome!

We are here for you, and we understand. We are so lucky to have some very knowledgeable and experienced survivors to band together and learn together.

I had 4 strokes at age 43, which is also considered young. Being young is very helpful in recovery, but with all strokes, patience is a virtue. The brain does an amazing job re-routing the blood supply, but it takes time. Anything we can do to help you would be our pleasure.

As far as the stroke and female issues, I am currently in a similar situation. I was just recently diagnosed with endometriosis, although I have suffered with it for years. When it finally became unbearable, and I was hospitalized for a week with the pain, I got my diagnosis. I coincidentally have had a ruptured ectopic pregnancy )years ago) and have only one ovary, which also had cysts. The typical procedure for a woman my age (now 49) would be complete hysterectomy. My other health issues make any surgery out of the question, so I was put in a medically induced menopause with a shot called lupron depo. I am three months into it and am in full menopause! End of ovulation, end of cysts, and the pain of endometriosis is now bearable. So there are new alternatives available, and I imagine your cysts can be detected and treated before they get out of hand.

As far as the adjustment to living with stroke, it is a tough road, but I think we all seem to find some beauty in slowing things down and making the most of the tiny little achievements we have.

Look forward to hearing from you...welcome to our little community!

Janet

Old 05-23-2010, 09:28 PM   #6
(female)

addie25 HB User

I two am a 35 yr old female but my situation is different because I was not on BC I was perfectly healthy accept for over weight issues. I used to swim 4x's a week & felt like I was on top of the world. Now after having a right pontine infart I am feeling just as confused as you are. I have had little to no f/u due to no insurance. Now I have Medical in Ca. & can't find the right help I need to deal w/this stroke. I am suffering from fear & anxiety as well as insomnia. I fear going to sleep because that is when I had my stroke. Can anyone suggest a good therapist in Southern Ca. or a good group for young survivors???? I know I am lucky because I am 100% back to normal but I can't help these feelings I have. Even if I can receive a response from anyone regarding survivors blogs I would appreciate it. I have a husband & two kids who need mommy to be ok but I just can't help this hopeless feeling I have.

Old 05-27-2010, 06:41 AM   #7
(female)

addie25 HB User

You know what Janet???
I have seen you on a couple of peoples posts & I want you to know how much I appreciate it!!! You seem like such a strong person. You are so strong in the face of
adversity.You seem to be the one offering good advise & have been threw it all. I wish I could be 1/2 the woman you are. I fear everything & need to find the way to over come this sleeplessness I have. It feels like I am getting desperate @ this point. I want so desperatly to feel the way I did pre stroke. I used to be strong like you & do all the things you described in your thread & now I feel like such a little baby. I really hope you continue to counsel both myself & others like you do. You are a true inspiration.
Ad

Old 05-28-2010, 01:30 AM   #8
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User

Addie...

I have been there, and am still very much "there". I have never mentioned that I can't open my mail, but I can't. I have never mentioned that I can't grocery shop on my own, but I can't. With the mail, I can't organize it, or decide what to keep, filing our lengthy forms is horrifying, so I wait till the last day and it turns out to be easy. When I go to the grocery store, I will buy one meal at a time, and then forget crucial items, and have nothing to eat. This is seven years later!

I often get lost in my own neighborhood that I grew up in...

I came to these boards desperate for some support, by couldn't think of a question to ask. I couldn't type either, so I worked that out too. This is the first time I have found a group of people that have meshed together to share common fears, and things I didn't know anyone else went through but me.

I am happy to be here, and your kind words feel really good...Thank you.

Janet

Old 06-02-2010, 07:16 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

Positive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB User

Hi Shell,
I haven't seen you in awhile here. I was just wondering how you are doing. I hope things are ok with you. I know that having a stroke is a confusing thing, especially when it just happens. Let us know how you are and if you need any support or questions, I would sure help what anyway I can, if only for support even.
God Bless,
Tim

Old 06-07-2010, 11:12 AM   #10
(female)

icm HB User
Post Re: Stroke at 35 years old

Quote:
Originally Posted by shell35 View Post
Shell
i am 41 female who excercised,ate good and it happened to me.i now dont speek in my voice but like im italian.also i used to love music and read now it dosnt interest me,the weirdest and hard part is i sing and talk in some japenese lang.its so scary being so diff now and im trying to adjust to this diff person i am....i do hope you get better just know your not alone there is so many of us out there .....

Old 06-09-2010, 02:59 PM   #11
(female)

Anne Anderson HB User

The clotting factors are due to the synthetic estrogens and progestin (which is not progesterone) in your birth control pills. I would get to a doctor who understands the proper balance of your body's natural hormones, and can monitor you correctly (most appropriately saliva testing)

The cysts could be due to an estrogen dominant state and your body might need natural progesterone. You will probably want to also look at a nutrient like indole 3 carbinol that supports a healthy estrogen break down, as well as doing something good for the liver like taking milk thistle to help detox those synthetic hormones hanging around.

If you doctor is into it he can also check for other factors that might pre dispose you to clotting (genetics can play a part)

I would search on inforamation on nattokinase as well, a very effective supplement to help prevent/dissolve clots,

Good luck
Anne

Closed Thread