It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Stroke Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-18-2010, 04:08 AM   #1
(male)

kamadan HB User
My mom just had a stroke

Hello everyone,

I am new to these forums and this is my first post.
We found my mother lying in the bathroom floor last saturday. Took her to the hospital immediately. Doctors said one of the main blood vessels supplying the brain is blocked by a blood clot. Her left side is parallyzed due to the stroke. When we found her lying, she was trying to speak to us and she was still conscious. At the hospital, they took her to the intensive care unit. They said she might stay in intensive care for at least 10 days to a few months. Currently, doctors put her to sleep with a drug, and she is connected to a breathing device.

An important problem is that when she got the stroke, she vomitted and some of the acid went into her lungs, which I heard to be a common issue with strokes in general. This caused some infection in her lungs. They started using antibiotics to fight this infection.

Today, the doctors informed that the infection in her lungs is spreading and it also started to affect her kidneys, and for this they started using a different medicine.

As you expect, my family is in a desperate situation and there is nothing we can do except to pray God.

We would welcome any experiences that anybody have similar to this. What are the chances her to survive? If she survives, hopefully, what could be next? Could she overcome the paralysis?

Thanks everyone.

Old 05-18-2010, 09:50 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

Chloe1252 HB User
Re: My mom just had a stroke

I'm so sorry you're going through this...I can't give you any prognosis for your Mom, but I do know people have recovered in varying degrees from even serious strokes.

Let your mom know you're there and talk to her encouragingly. Hopefully the infection can be overcome but you must take this one day at a time.

Wishing you the best.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-18-2010, 11:30 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User

Dear kamadan, and welcome to the Healthboards...

We are here to help...I am sorry that I cannot complete a full response right now, because I am off the the doctor. I will be back to give you some support and share my experiences after surviving 4 strokes. We have some very wonderful and kind folks here, to help you during this difficult time.

janet

Old 05-18-2010, 01:27 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User

Hi again...

kamadan, if you don't mind, may I ask you a few questions about your mom?

First, what is her age and general health before the stroke? Did she have high blood pressure, smoke, or was she being treated for any other issues?

Was the kidney problem a result of the stroke, or the infection? When I had my strokes (due to hypertension) I also had kidney failure. I am pleased to say that I regained enough kidney function to keep me off of dialysis for 6 years now.

It is not unusual to be kept asleep following a stroke, because the brain is working so hard to reconnect all the damage, and has no time for other functions. I actually stayed asleep much of the first year, and that is quite typical. Strokes are overcome very slowly, so patience and positive encouragement is necessary.

Be sure to take time, and care for yourself. There is a good chance she is aware of her loved ones being around her, even while she is asleep. I clearly remember being aware of my family, even though I could not talk or open my eyes. Talk to her, hold her hand, rub her with lotion, play her favorite music (if it is allowed), and avoid talking about her, like she is not there. You may also consider recording familiar voices to play for her.

We are here to support you, so feel free to rant and rave if you need to, or ask questions, or anything that may help you through this time. I have had 4 strokes myself, and am proof that with time and patience, we can go on.

Warmest wishes, janet

Old 05-18-2010, 11:37 PM   #5
(male)

kamadan HB User

I would like to thank everyone on these boards with your encouraging replies.
You have really made my day.

As for the questions that janet asked;

"First, what is her age and general health before the stroke? Did she have high blood pressure, smoke, or was she being treated for any other issues?"

She is 70 years old. Her general health before was OK. (i.e. no heart problems, no diabetes) She only had high blood pressure, no smoking. She was overweight.

Was the kidney problem a result of the stroke, or the infection?

The kidney problem was a result of the infection which began after the acid went into her lungs and the infection in lungs caused the infection in kidneys.

Thank you so much for your help and support.

Old 05-19-2010, 08:17 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)

kamdan,

That is why we are here, to help each other in tough times.

I am sure her doctors are doing everything they can to beat the infection first, and my prayers are with you. Are you close to the hospital? You said you have family support, which is so important. This will likely be a day by day fight, but we are so fortunate to have such advanced medical treatments.\

Stay strong for you mom, and don't ever give up!['

Janet

Old 05-20-2010, 04:47 AM   #7
(male)

kamadan HB User

Dear Janet,

Thank you for your great support and support from all others in these boards.

As I was reading further the stories of other people in this forum, me and my family started to gain more hope that my mother will be fine but we must be extremely patient.

Some questions I like to ask; the doctors have put her into a "drug induced coma" (I believe this is the correct name), and she has been in this state for 6 days now. The good thing is that we reached her to the hospital early, within 1 hour after the strike happened, which I heard is a very good thing. Her doctors say that they will continue to keep her that way, maybe even 1 month or longer. Is it normal to keep her this long sleeping?

She has low pulse, around 50. They say that chances of these victims to survive is 50-60 percent, and this is making us extremely worried. How much should we be worried?

The docs are still giving her antibiotics to fight the infections.

Great thanks for your support.

Old 05-20-2010, 08:26 AM   #8
Inactive
(female)

kamadan,

Yes, I have been communicating with many families where their loved ones are placed in a an induced coma. This gives the brain the best chance of recovery in certain circumstances...like your mother's. Wherever the brain injury is located has shut down, while it is furiously trying to fix itself...it needs all the energy it can muster, and that often means the induced coma.

Of course I am not a doctor, rather a patient myself...so if you want more specific answers, I would ask her doctor. Often times they are hard to pin down, because each case can be so different.

Of course the infection is always a concern, and the sooner that is knocked down, the better. As far as her prognosis, it is too early to tell. Of course, it is natural to worry, but please avoid becoming immersed in it, because then you too will compromise your own immune system, and your mother needs you now more than ever.

I know this is such a difficult time for your family, but have hope...time will tell more and more as she goes along. Always feel free to come here, for support, or even to rant and rave, becasue there is anger involved, and it is ok to get it all out. That is what we are here for...

Warmest wishes, Janet

Old 05-20-2010, 09:32 PM   #9
Inactive
(female)

Just read and incredible post that I thought you would be interested in about coma...It is on the stroke board called "stroke survivors, seeking support" and it is written by Coupe...

I think the information he shares will be very enlightening to you...

Janet

Old 05-28-2010, 07:25 PM   #10
(female)

Plumeria5 HB User

Hi!

My 89 year old mom fell and broke her hip Monday. Tuesday night she had a hip replacement. After surgery her heart raced and they started oxygen. Then Wednesday morning she has a seizure that lasted 4 minutes. The MRI showed she had had a TIA, mini-stroke. It is now Friday night and she still has not woken. She has not been given anything to induce a coma. We are very concerned. She has barely opened her eyes twice and has responded slightly by saying yes or uh huh. Originally we thought it was delayed emergence from the anesthetic but it has been 3 days. So are you guys saying that a stroke can cause a deep sleep? She can move her legs and left arm, not so much the right one. Kamadan, I know the waiting is very hard.

Last edited by Plumeria5; 05-28-2010 at 07:26 PM.

Old 05-29-2010, 07:03 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(male)

Positive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plumeria5 View Post
Hi!

My 89 year old mom fell and broke her hip Monday. Tuesday night she had a hip replacement. After surgery her heart raced and they started oxygen. Then Wednesday morning she has a seizure that lasted 4 minutes. The MRI showed she had had a TIA, mini-stroke. It is now Friday night and she still has not woken. She has not been given anything to induce a coma. We are very concerned. She has barely opened her eyes twice and has responded slightly by saying yes or uh huh. Originally we thought it was delayed emergence from the anesthetic but it has been 3 days. So are you guys saying that a stroke can cause a deep sleep? She can move her legs and left arm, not so much the right one. Kamadan, I know the waiting is very hard.
Dear Plumeria5,
I am sorry to hear about your mother. I just wanted to ask your question that, yes a stroke can cause deep sleep. Although my doctor didn't tell me, I just had to figure it out myself. I was in the hospital for 5 days after my stroke and I think I slept about the whole time. I thought they gave me something when I was there, but they didn't. It was from the stroke. Her age may have a factor too, but try not to worry. If she is responding, that is a good sign. When she wakes up, don't be alarmed if she is confused, that too will pass in time and I am 99% sure she understands you, but may not be able to respond correctly.

I hope this helps.
God Bless,
Tim

Old 05-29-2010, 11:46 AM   #12
Inactive
(female)

kamadan

I am checking back on you, to see how you are, and your mothers progress. We are lucky to have a community of stroke survivors here to share their experiences, and offer their support. Although we have many different causes of our strokes, the recoveries have distinct similarities, the sleep being the most common.

I don't know how long I was asleep in the hospital, but I know I slept for the majority of first two years, and to this day require much more sleep than most.

plumetia, (lovely name)

Along with Tim, and all of us here, Im so sorry to hear of your mother's fall, and resulting TIA.

Since you mother's situation is unique, you might want to start a new thread with her story, so we can focus on just you, as we respond. It can get a little confusing to mix the stories together (speaking for myself...of course). We are glad you are here, and want to help.

But until then, I encourage you to speak to her, hold her hands, rub lotion on her, tell old stories, she can likely hear you, and definitely sense your presence. I knew what was going on around me, although I couldn't speak, or even open my eyes.

Welcome to the stroke board, and feel free to ask anything...we are here to help you.

Janet

Last edited by writeleft; 05-29-2010 at 11:50 AM.

Old 05-29-2010, 11:52 AM   #13
(female)

Plumeria5 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positive Cynic View Post
Dear Plumeria5,
I am sorry to hear about your mother. I just wanted to ask your question that, yes a stroke can cause deep sleep. Although my doctor didn't tell me, I just had to figure it out myself. I was in the hospital for 5 days after my stroke and I think I slept about the whole time. I thought they gave me something when I was there, but they didn't. It was from the stroke. Her age may have a factor too, but try not to worry. If she is responding, that is a good sign. When she wakes up, don't be alarmed if she is confused, that too will pass in time and I am 99% sure she understands you, but may not be able to respond correctly.

I hope this helps.
God Bless,
Tim
Tim,
Thank you so much for sharing! I spoke with a nurse this morning, I am far far away from where my mom is, and she confirmed that the blood clot did some damage to her brain and that the embolus may still be there. Our concern and the doctor's is another stroke. She has not eaten and so they are going to have to give her some nutrients somehow. How did they do this in your case? Did you feel pain and can you share more about what your experience was like. Today a family member said she was doing good and my mom replied, "I don't think so." That was the most she has responded.

Old 05-29-2010, 12:20 PM   #14
Inactive
(female)

Hi Plumeria,

I am on the boards now so I thought I'd see if I could help with any of your questions. I am a survivor of 4 simultaneous strokes, and have 7 years of recovery.

I can't speak about the feeding, because I do not remember that part, although but I know I was not feeding myself.

As far as pain, I recall no pain...more of a sense of floating, with different things kind of flying around. For me it was confusing, but there was no physical pain. People kept talking to me loudly, and I did not like that...It was like being in mid sleep, when someone is shaking you and you don't want to get up, and I wanted to tell everyone, "Can't you tell I'm sleeping here?"I was too tired to talk, but I kept trying to tell them. It was exhausting. But the sleeping was deep and wonderful! I would certainly try to smile, I remember that!

The arousal was irritating from the wrong people, like I must admit, my dad. (Love him dearly. and a lifelong military officer, if you get the picture), and he would always say, "I come all the way over here to see you and you won't even wake up". I had woken up a few times by then, and he wanted to see it. I am laughing as I type that...
but honestly this is the first time I have recounted my first memories before waking up...it's surreal.

The presence of my man and my son were the most comforting, and the nurses were funny....

Now I feel bad for hijacking this thread, but I am sorry kamadan,,,it just starting coming our=t and I couldn't stop! One thing all of our Healthborads stroke survivors have in common is that reaching out others really helps us!

Janet

Last edited by writeleft; 05-29-2010 at 12:21 PM.

Old 05-30-2010, 01:59 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(male)

Positive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB User

Kamandan,
I wanted to say I am sorry about your mother. How is she doing today? I want to apologize for my post here. I did not realize there were two different posts here and I responded to one and not you. So please forgive me and I hope that did not seem rude. I have read the other responses and I don't think I can add anything more. I just want you to know that there are many stroke survivors here that will help you in any way we can if we can. Just know that our thoughts and prayers are with you and your mother.
God Bless,
Tim

Closed Thread