It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Stroke Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-29-2010, 07:16 PM   #1
(female)

Plumeria5 HB User
How to help mom through stroke recovery...

I am starting a thread for my 89 year old mom. She fell 6 days ago and broke her hip. The following evening she had a hip replacement. She was put on oxygen in CCU immediately after the surgery since her heart was racing. The following morning she had a 4 minute seizure and after a CAT scan and MRI it was found she had had several mini-strokes. She is in a deep sleep with little response. She has opened her eyes a couple of times, said a few words, but other than that she is not very responsive.

I thank those of you that wrote on a different thread including Tim and Janet. I appreciate having first hand knowledge of what that sleep is like and what we can do as family to help. I am sure it is very frustrating not to be able to communicate when people keep asking questions, waking you up, etc. I just want to do the right thing to help her so any other suggestions or sharing of experiences is greatly appreciated.

I am contemplating having a neurological center give a second opinion on her CAT scans and MRI. There is a danger she could have another stroke.
What are your thoughts?

Mahalo!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-30-2010, 05:35 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Positive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB User
Re: How to help mom through stroke recovery...

Hi Plumeria,
I hope you mother is doing well today. I made a long response to Michelle you may want to read. I would basically tell you the same thing here, so I won't repeat it again. If you have any questions at all, I will be glad to ask if I can help.

Blessings to you,
Tim

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-30-2010, 05:48 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Madison104 HB UserMadison104 HB UserMadison104 HB User

Hi Plumeria, I don't have experience with this, but I was reading about your mom and I just wanted to add some prayers to both of you. I am sorry for what you are going through. I lost my mom a few years ago and just having my mom sick over the years was very hard, so I understand...

Peace
Madison

Old 05-30-2010, 11:02 AM   #4
(female)

Plumeria5 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positive Cynic View Post
Hi Plumeria,
I hope you mother is doing well today. I made a long response to Michelle you may want to read. I would basically tell you the same thing here, so I won't repeat it again. If you have any questions at all, I will be glad to ask if I can help.

Blessings to you,
Tim
Hi, Tim,
I did read what you wrote in Michelle's thread. Thanks again for the insight.
No change really. It has been 5 days. Opened eyes when nurse asked and replied yea to me once. Then turned head and went right back to sleep.
We wait but know she is in a peaceful sleep.

Old 05-30-2010, 11:55 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

Chloe1252 HB UserChloe1252 HB UserChloe1252 HB UserChloe1252 HB UserChloe1252 HB UserChloe1252 HB UserChloe1252 HB User

Quote:
We wait but know she is in a peaceful sleep.
Exactly. She's 89, at peace, not suffering and has people who love her around.

All things for you to be grateful for.

Old 05-30-2010, 08:32 PM   #6
(female)

Plumeria5 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chloe1252 View Post
Exactly. She's 89, at peace, not suffering and has people who love her around.

All things for you to be grateful for.
Thanks, Chloe.

I spoke with my mom's nurse tonight. She said she would give her a 12 on the Glasgow Coma Scale which I think is pretty good. She will have the same nurse tomorrow night so I told her I am studying up on strokes and will have more questions for her tomorrow. It is nice to have the same nurse so that they have a better idea if she is improving or not. Tomorrow will be the 6th day since her stroke. Thanks for taking the time to read about my mother.

Old 05-31-2010, 02:19 AM   #7
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User

Plumeria, Thanks for starting this place for us to continue to support you through your mother's sleep. Some beautiful words have been expressed here,

The more I think about that sleep, the more I realize how peaceful it was for me. I was in the ICU, in sliding glass door rooms, all widows, with constant nurses. It was like being underwater, where you can hear sounds, but not make out the words...just bubbles.

In this time, be sure to nurture yourself, a little extra for yourself.

Do you have a support system? Do you have help with visiting your mom?

Janet

Old 05-31-2010, 12:05 PM   #8
(female)

Plumeria5 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by writeleft View Post
Plumeria, Thanks for starting this place for us to continue to support you through your mother's sleep. Some beautiful words have been expressed here,

The more I think about that sleep, the more I realize how peaceful it was for me. I was in the ICU, in sliding glass door rooms, all widows, with constant nurses. It was like being underwater, where you can hear sounds, but not make out the words...just bubbles.

In this time, be sure to nurture yourself, a little extra for yourself.

Do you have a support system? Do you have help with visiting your mom?

Janet
HI, Janet!

Well good news!! This morning my mother began to wake up! When the nurse was adjusting her head on the pillow she said, "You're pulling my hair!"
She told the therapist her birth date including month, day and year! She drank a little water and had a bite of applesauce. She told the nurse "getting better". Unbelievable! One of you had said you slept for 5 days (was that you or Tim?) and I thought today should be the day and it was!

Janet, I am far away from my mother. 4000 miles. I have not been able to visit her yet. Most of the family is there with her. I kept worrying about when I should go but am glad I waited because now she will know me when I go and I can help her through her therapy. Barring another stroke, she seems on her way to recovery.

I will keep updating. On so many threads it seems they stop writing without hearing the results and I hope my mother's story will help others to be encouraged.
Mahalo,
Plumeria

Old 05-31-2010, 12:44 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

Positive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB User

Plumeria,
That is wonderful, wonderful news!!! I am so happy for your mother and for you. I would encourage you to tell you family to read some of the things here. There is a lot of good information here and they sure can ask any questions they may have. Any one of us stroke survivors would be more than happy to try to ask anything we may help. I am so happy she is up, but there is still lots of other things that will came up. It is a long process. Just be sure everyone is patience and positive.

Great news!!
Tim

Last edited by Positive Cynic; 05-31-2010 at 12:45 PM.

Old 05-31-2010, 11:12 PM   #10
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User

Fantastic news!

The first words can be humorous, like your mother saying "your pulling my hair"!

This is a big first step, with many many little ones to go. I am so happy for your family, and like Tim says, there is a long road ahead, so be patient, and be thankful...

WE are all behind you!

Old 06-01-2010, 04:01 PM   #11
(female)

Plumeria5 HB User

Hi, everyone!

This morning my mom was awake enough (eyes still closed) to sit her up of course they had to hold her straight, but it is still progress. They want her to do that for the therapy for her hip replacement and also to ward off pneumonia. She said "Hi, and my name as well as "I love you, too". Slurred but she is having to relearn how to use her tongue. Not on food yet other than a taste but we are very hopeful. Thanks to all of you that read and post. I told her there are a lot of people rooting her on and that they write their advice and experiences.

Old 06-01-2010, 05:25 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(male)

Plumeria,
Thanks for the update. It gave me a warm smile when you said that she said, "I love you, too." That is so sweet. Keep us all in touch on her progress.

Blessings,
Tim

Old 06-02-2010, 02:09 PM   #13
(female)

Plumeria5 HB User

A little step back today. My mom was very alert yesterday but today not so much. They put in a feeding tube that goes from her nose down to her stomach. Today is our anniversary and it was kind of sad to open her card and see her writing from a couple of weeks ago. A church friend came by and asked how she was and she did reply, "I'm doing just fine". Bless her heart!! They took her off her anti-seizure medicine so in a few days the doctor thinks he will have a better idea of how much damage was done from the stroke. Thanks for reading.
Plumeria

Old 06-03-2010, 07:04 PM   #14
(female)

Plumeria5 HB User

I have a question for those that had a stroke or have knowledge of this...My mother was moved from ICU to Skilled Nursing today. The PT says that she can not sit on her own nor can she move her legs when sitting on the side of the bed. She does move her legs while lying but the PT says that could just be a reflex. I am really worried that she will not regain the use of her legs and worse yet she will never be able to sit on her own. That will be devastating for her as she was so spry and physically fit before she broke her hip 11 days ago. The PT said they will know in a few days if this could be reversed as they just started the tube feeding yesterday and she should be regaining some strength. Mahalo for your help.

P.S. I found out it is called spatial orientation and this is what the PT is concerned about.

Last edited by Plumeria5; 06-03-2010 at 09:00 PM.

Old 06-06-2010, 11:48 AM   #15
(female)

Plumeria5 HB User

An update on my mom 6/6/10:

Strokes are a roller coaster ride...The last 3 days my mom has improved by leaps and bounds. When the feeding tube was put in Wednesday it seemed she would never be eating "real" food again. After 2 days of feeding her that way, on Friday she had the strength to be able to sit in a recliner and eat pureed food. She relearned how to drink from a straw. Her eyes are open when she is awake now. She can see because I had sent her flowers and she knew what color they are. Today she was able to carry on a conversation (somewhat) and repeated things I told her. She has begun to be able to move her right arm slightly which the doctor said might not ever happen. Not sure what will happen with her legs yet but right now she is moving forward and is far ahead of what we might have expected she would ever be! I will keep updating even if no one is posting as I see you are reading and I hope this gives other families hope.

Closed Thread