It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Stroke Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2010, 04:14 PM   #16
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User
Re: Things I've learned since my stroke

Wayne,

I am well into my recovery at 6 years, but I will never loose the memories of those past months and years. At 4 years, I was still unable to drive, speak very well, and keep from fainting. It has only been the last two years that I have made the biggest jump in progress. That happens to coincide exactly with the time I came here to learn to type, and to to reach out to others. From that time until now, I have really grown. I attribute the writing to much of my progress, because it is the path through the isolation and depression phases, having support in place.

Another big factor in my feeling of acceptance that has just come to me (in January this year)...would be the diagnosis of yet another serious illness that is incurable, inoperable, and very painful. When I was able to accept that diagnosis, and give into the treatment and still keep a good attitude, I knew.

The recent events could never take away the years of struggle. Certainly not the fatigue and confusion at the simplest tasks... .Even today, trying to get through simple directions can be so frustrating!

The loss of eyesight is something else we do have in common, the strokes left strokes on my retinas too. The little letters have just disappeared, and the big ones have fuzz all over them!

I have not even gotten through the article I suggested, but I do have it sitting right here, (my entire reading list). I did print it out in larger font, in fact, all of my computer is set up to display everything at 125%.

So, I hope not to come across as unable to relate. My motivation to post comes from the knowledge that it does get better, and it does take time, and it can be lonely and slow.

Love to all, janet

Last edited by writeleft; 08-12-2010 at 04:17 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-12-2010, 07:21 PM   #17
(male)

eemgee HB Usereemgee HB User

G'Day Tim, I know what you mean about not wanting to cook, at my last visit to my rehab doctor when I said how I feel each day he asked me if I was depressed but I told him I had always been an even balanced person so I don't know if I'm depressed or not because I've never experienced depression in my life so I don't know what its like to be that way, although some of my friends have, oh my gosh I've just realised that it may be me that made them depressed. I hope not!!!!!
Apart from the lethargy and nausea I'm travelling OK but like you I don't get out much & do tend to spend my days inside with the occasional walk but after a couple of hundred yards I feel giddy & tired & return home to the couch.
I like listening to a lot of old time radio shows that I found on a web site
or just listening to easy listening music on local radio.
I thank God each day for having survived and I owe it to my lovely wife/carer to keep positive.
Being able to communicate with you and others like Janet does tend to lighten the day

Old 08-12-2010, 07:35 PM   #18
(male)

eemgee HB Usereemgee HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by writeleft View Post
Wayne,

Another big factor in my feeling of acceptance that has just come to me (in January this year)...would be the diagnosis of yet another serious illness that is incurable, inoperable, and very painful. When I was able to accept that diagnosis, and give into the treatment and still keep a good attitude, I knew.
So, I hope not to come across as unable to relate. My motivation to post comes from the knowledge that it does get better, and it does take time, and it can be lonely and slow.

Love to all, janet
G'Day Janet,
Everything you say makes great sense to me and also your words are a great comfort in that you stress that things get better although progress can be slow. You certainly give out hope to others even though your road at the moment is a hard one for you to travel, I'm thinking of you from across the other side of the Pacific.
Wayne

Old 08-13-2010, 02:01 AM   #19
Senior Veteran
(male)

Positive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by eemgee View Post
G'Day Janet,
Everything you say makes great sense to me and also your words are a great comfort in that you stress that things get better although progress can be slow. You certainly give out hope to others even though your road at the moment is a hard one for you to travel, I'm thinking of you from across the other side of the Pacific.
Wayne
Hello all,
Wayne I just wante to say that if us little posting here helps you, it helps us all. Janet your post was very good and helps us too. you have great insight. we are all in this thing together. I feel comfort hear knowing that I can say my peice with no worries about it. I have to go to the garage tommorow for our Jeep. I hate talking to mechanics since my stroke. I have to always explain people I had I stroke, I am not dumb. i just have to understand what you are asking, and some times it takes a few times for me. the think is that when the more they ask, the more I get nervous and the worse my speech gets. I also think that after I have to tell someone I had a stroke, then I feel like they are taking advantage of me, because I am dumb or something. I hate to tell people I had a stroke, but if I don't tell them, I must sound like an idiiot. so the circle goes on and on. I am already nervous about going to the garage, and thinking they are going to take advantage, but I have to do it. I am just blabbing again, sorry,
tim

Old 04-09-2011, 03:27 PM   #20
(female)

ennbee HB Userennbee HB Userennbee HB Userennbee HB Userennbee HB Userennbee HB User

not self-centred at all. It is a highly personal experience. I felt like I had been dropped in from another planet.

Old 04-10-2011, 02:08 PM   #21
(female)

ennbee HB Userennbee HB Userennbee HB Userennbee HB Userennbee HB Userennbee HB User
Re: Things I've Learnt since my stroke

Thank you for your positive post Tim. This is a great site (wishing I had found it much sooner!) Everyone seems kind, understanding and genuinely helpful. theteach expressed so well the emotional side of stroke I clearly relate to the feelings of why me,sense of loss and limited frustration tolerance. I hope that in time I can help to give back to others

Old 04-10-2011, 05:36 PM   #22
(male)

lmorgan79 HB Userlmorgan79 HB Userlmorgan79 HB Userlmorgan79 HB Userlmorgan79 HB Userlmorgan79 HB User

eemgee,

As guys, we have something going for us when we pee - it doesn't take any hands! Everyone has gravity working for them - even in Australia. Gravity always works for me, unless I'm trying to hit a wastebasket, or something. Then, somehow, I'll miss. Although, gravity can always be used as a scapegoat if I fall. I just blame it on gravity. Oh well...

I didn't have a stroke that effected one side more than the other. Both sides were equally affected. It's been just over 8 years for me, and I'm only 49, but things do improve - S L O W L Y. Just hang in there. Now I drive, and do most of the stuff that I used to, although my golf swing really sucks. The last time I tried swinging a club, I almost fell down, and I dug a hole half way to China. That spot won't need mowing this year! My guitar playing is suboptimal, too. It always was though, so it's back to normal for that.

Just do your best. Nobody can expect more than that.

Lee

Old 04-10-2011, 06:15 PM   #23
(female)

"Just do your best. Nobody can expect more than that." I expect more than that for myself. Being a burden is crap. I have a role in this family.(and I am not doing my fair share at all.)

The Following User Says Thank You to ennbee For This Useful Post:
eemgee (05-03-2011)
Old 04-10-2011, 06:41 PM   #24
(male)

lmorgan79 HB Userlmorgan79 HB Userlmorgan79 HB Userlmorgan79 HB Userlmorgan79 HB Userlmorgan79 HB User

You will most likely be less, and less a burden, over time. When I first had my stroke, I was practically helpless, and needed constant care. Barfing all over the kitchen didn't help. Now, I feel like the caregiver most of the time.

Having a stroke will definitely change your role in the family. I know mine did. There's no getting around that. The only way to get past it is to do all that you can - even small stuff like making the bed, or emptying the dishwasher. It doesn't sound like much, and will take longer, but hey, speed doesn't count for much. Once you make yourself useful, you'll feel better about your contributions to the family.

Lee

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lmorgan79 For This Useful Post:
eemgee (05-03-2011), ennbee (04-11-2011)
Closed Thread