It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Stroke Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-27-2010, 10:09 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

lizzy76 HB User
Anyone have stroke due to carotid artery dissections?

My stroke was caused by dissections in 3 out of 4 of the carotid arteries in my neck. The doctors told me my situation was very rare, especially considering I hadn't any traumatic event occur recently (car accident, etc) where I would have severely injured my neck. I had 2 stents put in the left carotid artery and will be following up in about a month to see how the medication is helping the other two arteries... Apparently sometimes dissections can start to heal themselves if you're taking the right meds so I'm hoping the one that is 70% blocked will start to heal itself, and that the other doesn't become more blocked either!!
Just wondering if anyone else has dealt with this as the cause of your stroke and what your experience has been like?

Thanks ~
Lizzy

Old 07-30-2010, 06:35 AM   #2
(female)

isabelleann HB User
Re: Anyone have stroke due to carotid artery dissections?

I just did in April 2010. No accident either.. WHen they did the CAT scan, they found 2 others that had healed by themself. This one that caused the stroke is also being treated with med's,.. When was your stroke?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-30-2010, 09:32 AM   #3
(male)

coupe HB Usercoupe HB Usercoupe HB Usercoupe HB Usercoupe HB Usercoupe HB Usercoupe HB Usercoupe HB Usercoupe HB Usercoupe HB Usercoupe HB User

my stroke was caused by a complete carotid artery dissection on the right side of my neck following a crushing accident at work. my neurologist says there is nothing that can be done to fix it no meds no surgery. any rush of blood now to that part of my brain could be worse than another stroke! at least this can't get any worse? I'm compeletly paralyzed on my entire left side, I never could find out the reason for my stroke until my neurologist couldn't find any pulse on my neck on right side the ultrasound whowed the dissection 4 years ago my stroke was 18 years ago come November 2nd

I wish you luck and god bless

Larry/coupe

Old 08-18-2010, 05:09 AM   #4
(female)

elrav HB User

Did you have any symptoms leading up to the dissection? I ask because I have carotid stenosis (>50%right, <50% left), and these past few days I've had extreme pressure on the right side of my neck, along with some momentary vision abnormalities.
Thanks in advance for your input.

Old 08-18-2010, 07:08 AM   #5
(female)

isabelleann HB User

I had extreme pain in my neck as well, but more in the back of the neck. I also had thumping in my ears.. I did not know any of these were signs, until after i had my stroke. I had also gone to my doctor 5 days prior to the stroke...

Last edited by isabelleann; 08-18-2010 at 07:09 AM.

Old 08-21-2010, 08:56 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

lizzy76 HB User

I didn't have any symptoms in my neck but did have headaches about 7-10 days before my stroke, and I was having problems with blood pressure being low (apparently your carotid arteries help regulate blood pressure) and I was passing out here and there up until my stroke.

Closed Thread