It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Stroke Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-30-2010, 05:50 AM   #1
(female)

isabelleann HB User
Fatigue after stroke

I am still feeling really tired every morning. Getting up in the morning has been really hard for me. How long does fatigue last after a stroke? It has been about 3 months since my stroke.

Old 07-30-2010, 10:04 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

SamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB User
Re: Fatigue after stroke

There are a couple of recent threads that talk about this. I'm still having a great deal of fatigue nearly 6 months after a fairly mild stroke. From what I understand, it can last for quite a long time. As long as you feel otherwise okay, just make sure you get enough rest, even if it means cutting back on some things.

Ruth

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-31-2010, 09:42 AM   #3
(female)

Alberta1967 HB UserAlberta1967 HB UserAlberta1967 HB UserAlberta1967 HB UserAlberta1967 HB UserAlberta1967 HB UserAlberta1967 HB UserAlberta1967 HB UserAlberta1967 HB User

It has been 5 1/2 years for me & it really never goes away. It does get better, but does not all go away. Alberta

Old 08-21-2010, 02:09 AM   #4
(female)

kentuckykimmie HB User

Alberta is correct. The fatigue does not go away, at least not for me and I am nearly 7 years post stroke. I have been unsuccessful in finding out the medical reasons for this phenomenon, but I have discovered ways to cope with it and combat it which include the following:

1)Don't try to push yourself. When you are tired, then find a way to rest.
2)Don't fall into the trap of allowing everyone to think that you are "....back to my old self", because they WILL take full advantage of it. Spouses, children, family, co-workers, etc.....only see that you look the same, sound the same, etc.....so they assume that you must BE the same and will expect you to carry on the same as before and it's too stressful. It is imperative that you make your loved ones understand that you need time to recover and that you may never "be the same".
3)Avoid alcohol at all costs because it only magnifies after stroke fatigue.
4)If you didn't get fresh air and exercise before, then this is the time to begin.
5)Go over your medications and doses with your doctor and see if they can be adjusted and perhaps even discontinued. If you are on 8-10 prescription drugs and don't speak up, it could be months (or never) that you are re-evaluated and you could possibly be unnecessarily taking medications that contribute to your fatigue. Be an educated patient and discuss it with your doctor. I was able to discontinue precautionary anti-seizure medications and sedatives early on which helped my energy levels significantly.
6)Press the delete button on junk food, soft drinks, and all of that other tasty stuff that we aren't supposed to eat anyway
7)Flood yourself with water. Drink it, swim in it, and take showers to help yourself get energized.
8)If you are able, start taking vitamins or something similar from a health food store like herbal remedies. Try several until you find one that helps you.
9)Get PLENTY of regular sleep and accept that you may ALWAYS need more sleep from now on and see to it that you get it.
10)Try to stop thinking about what you have lost and realize that you survived and have been given a "second chance". So many people do not survive strokes or they are left so severely disabled that they don't even realize that they are fatigued. This one took me several years to accomplish, so don't expect overnight results.

My best to you

Old 08-23-2010, 11:19 AM   #5
(female)

isabelleann HB User

Thanks so much KentuckyKimmie.. Every thing you said is soo true and I am realizing that . I am also trying to make my family and friends realize it too.

I am so tired of everyone saying "Oh you look great. I am so glad that you are back to yourself" I did finally started saying, "i may look good, but I don't ever think I will be myself again."

I am glad someone else knows how I feel too!!

Thanks again~

Closed Thread