Has anyone here dealt with dissections in the carotid arteries? Or had a family member or friend that has dealt with it? I just have some questions about treatment and I've had a hard time finding other people who have had this problem - I know it's not very common but hopefully someone here on the stroke board can help! Thanks ~ Lizzy
You need to ask why the big concern about the dissection. There are 4 arteries feeding the circle of Willis which supplies bood to the brain. Most of the concern is that the dissection heals with a clot and that clot can break loose and travel to the brain. Why can't your doctors explain these simple facts. This can be treated with blood thinners,eg. warfarin(or rat poison as it is affectionatally known).
Glen - my doctors have explained those simple facts to me, and I've done lots of research on the subject myself. What I'm trying to find are other people who have dissections to compare how theirs have been treated, what symptoms if any they have had or are having, if their dissections resolved on their own or if they had to have surgical intervention at some point, etc. I have dissections in 3 of my arteries... a stent was placed in the left front internal carotid artery but the right front internal carotid remains 70% occluded and the other is about 30% occluded. The dissections were discovered when I had a stroke in June of this year and although my symptoms have decreased I'm still experiencing some symptoms and would just like to meet others who have a similar diagnosis just to compare notes w/real people instead of case studies, online articles, etc.
My dissection took about 5 months to heal up during which I was on warfarin, then switched to 325 aspirin. I'm not sure how they were able to tell that it was healed up because they never found out that that artery was 80% blocked. Three years later it was totally blocked. So for three years I was at extreme risk for another stroke. If I had known it was that badly blocked I would have had an enderectomy. Thats my story.
Hi, I know it's been a while since your post so I don't know how many you've found that dissected. I am 33 and I dissected both carotid arteries 10 days post partum last spring then dissected my right vertebral artery 3 weeks post partum. I have had extensive work up at Duke and Cleveland Clinic. I did not stroke but no one can tell me why I didn't. I was treated with large doses of coumadin because I was resistant and large doses of multiple blood pressure meds. I didn't have a stent and was told there was no need to unless I was symptomatic. I had a repeat MRA 6 months after dissecting and the clots had resolved and dissections were healed. I had been told by my neurologist that I would always be followed with yearly scans, but today she told me that was incorrect and I didn't need further follow up, which I am concerned about. Have you been told anything about future scans? Have you had every major vessel in your body scanned? Also, during my workup I was diagnosed as having hypermobile Ehlers Danlos which is causing me multiple other problems but am told there are no documented cases of dissection with this particular form but I could have an undocumented mutation. Also fibromuscular dysplasia cannot be ruled out. Have you gotten a cause for your dissections yet? It has been very frustrating for me.