It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Stroke Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-06-2010, 02:00 PM   #1
(female)

LadyWriter1968 HB User
My Mother Never Recovered from her stroke

When I was 10 years old, my Mother had a bad stroke, I think she was in hospital at least a couple of weeks, being as young as I was I didnt understand it much then. When she came home, all her limbs started working as my Father would give her that ball thing to squeeze to strengthen her arms and hands, and it worked. Physically she seemed ok and could do all the stuff she did before. But mentally she seemed to lose her will to live. She could talk properly although with a slight slur now. But she seemed to give up really. She started drinking and smoking more against doctors advice. She didnt even care in the end how she looked or what she wore.

Then when I was 14 she fell and cut open her chin at the shops, she said that some one was telling her she should run away. But it was in her head though. Father fixed her chin up as it was bleeding a lot. The chin healed, but then she stopped eating, within half a year she had lost half her body weight and was now very weak. Once she tried to open the door in the living room to the kitchen and she fell down cause was to weak. She wasted away.

Then when I reached 16 years old she collapsed and died from a blood clot to the brain.

One of my friends when she was pregnant had a bad stroke, but she has now completely recovered and to speak to her, you would not even know she even had one. My Mother in law had a stroke to, she is now 85, she is completely better from it to, and at that age.

But with my Mother she never completely recovered, you could tell she had previously had a stroke when she spoke, certain words were slurred etc.

But my question is. How comes other people I have known have completed recovered yet my Mother didn't?

My Mother was in her 50's when she had the stroke.

Could it be cause she didn't take care of herself?
That she would not stop drinking alcohol and smoking?
That maybe that deterred her improvement?

Do you think the upset of the fall later stopped her from eating later?. Cause after that fall she hardly ate but ate normal before it even after the stroke.

I guess I cant understand why that happened to my Mother when others have cleared recovered from it.

Maybe her "will" was not strong enough.

These are just maybe's.

Any one who knows a lot about this subject maybe you can answer my questions

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-06-2010, 02:53 PM   #2
(female)

I Jones HB User
Re: My Mother Never Recovered from her stroke

Strokes can affect different parts of the brain. Perhaps your mother's stroke damaged part of the brain that is involved in personality, or motivation, etc. I knew a woman who was very argumentative, and her husband was more than a little henpecked. After her stroke she was soon physically okayish - maybe couldn't walk as fast - but she had become placid as a lamb and her husband looked a lot happier!

Old 09-08-2010, 12:07 PM   #3
(female)

LadyWriter1968 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Jones View Post
Strokes can affect different parts of the brain. Perhaps your mother's stroke damaged part of the brain that is involved in personality, or motivation, etc. I knew a woman who was very argumentative, and her husband was more than a little henpecked. After her stroke she was soon physically okayish - maybe couldn't walk as fast - but she had become placid as a lamb and her husband looked a lot happier!
ok thanks for your input on this, I guess you are right actually, that makes sense

Old 09-28-2010, 05:11 PM   #4
(female)

LadyWriter1968 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Jones View Post
Also after my Mothers stroke even though she recovered, a couple of years later she fell in the street and cut her chin open, a man brought her home, Dad fixed her chin up and it was fine afterwards, but she didnt wanna go to hospital, but after that accident she stopped eating and lost half her body weight very quickly within a few months.

At the time I wondered if my Mum had developed an eating disorder or whether it was the illness making her not want to eat?

What do you think?

I always wondered cause it never made any sense to me at the time cause I was a child myself.

Last edited by LadyWriter1968; 09-28-2010 at 05:13 PM.

Old 09-04-2011, 11:05 AM   #5
(female)

Tamie G HB User

My Grandmother made it home after a brain stem stroke. Her mind was good for the most part but, she no longer had use of her arm and could not walk without a brace and walker. She lived another 5 years and died of another cause. Now my husband I lost on March 28. On a Sunday afternoon he told me he had a headache and was going to bed early. He would leave out for wk at 12. He came into the livingrm with slurred speech, balance off, drooling. We called 911 and I told them I felt sure he was having a major stroke. EMT's agree. At first they were fly him out then said that they could not make it. He stayed one night at a hospital here and was transported to a hospital 2 hours away by ambulance. He never spoke to me again..early hours the hospital call our rm..had to remove skull to give brain room..then next day they said it had moved into brain stem and ask me to remove breathing tube he would die. I did and he did not die for another day...I couldn't let go. Now my grandson feels I should never let them do anything, he only suffered. My heart is so broken. Gone is gone...even having to care for him would have been better than this. I guess its Gods way of deciding who dies and who doesnt. So very sorry for your loss.

Old 09-04-2011, 05:09 PM   #6
(male)

max55 HB Usermax55 HB Usermax55 HB Usermax55 HB User

My Grandfather never recovered from his, he had his when he was 60. I have been thinking about that a lot since I had mine. It was so long ago that no one knows or remembers exactly what was going on with him - this back in the early 70's. I just recall he was never able to recover much from it and died 5 years after.

I used to think that it was like that for major stroke victims until I came here and read about so many impressive recoveries. This board has given me hope if I ever have another one.

The following user gives a hug of support to max55:
Alberta1967 (09-05-2011)
Old 09-05-2011, 05:38 AM   #7
(female)

Tamie G HB User

I'm glad its given you hope. We will never fully understand why some recover and others must die. Keep the faith..

Closed Thread