It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Stroke Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-22-2010, 09:36 AM   #1
(male)

kchapman HB User
26 y/o - Had a stroke in August

Hi, I am new to the board so let me introduce myself. My name is Keith, I am 26, and I live in south florida... Now for my story.

At 4AM, on August 11th, I woke my wife up with a seizure. She quickly stabilized me and called 911. They subsequently found that I had suffered an intracerebral hemorhage which caused my stroke (on the left side of the brain). They also found a blood clot in my brain.. 3 days later, still in the hospital, I began to seize constantly, and they had to induce a coma to allow my brain to rest. Whenever they tried to wake up, I would seize again. They were able to find an expiremental anti-seizure medication, and combined that with keppra, which stopped the seizures. The two weeks that took place in, I have absolutely no recolection, even though I was told I talked to people and responded to verbal commands. A couple weks after that, I was admited to the rehab facility at the hospital. Everything was going good until they discovered a DVT in my weakened (right) leg. They put an IVC filter in, because I couldn't take blood thinners. But unfortunately, before they put the filter in, part of the clot traveled to my lungs and I got a pulmonary embolism. They decided that they were going to try blood thinners, and monitor my brain to make sure it wouldn't start bleeding again. Luckily it did not! Also, I developed pnumonia the first couple weeks I was in the hospital. My stay at the hospital lasted about two months. My recovery has been great, I can talk like I did before (when I woke up I couldn't get a word out), I gained full strength in my leg, so am able to walk normally, and have gained full movement in my arm and hand, although they are still weak.

I attribute my recovery to the continuing support of my wife, and her keeping me in a positive state of mind. It is a difficult thing to go through, but you can come out of it with a new found appreciation for life, and the smaller things. It has made me a better person.

The following 5 users give hugs of support to: kchapman
EagleRiverDee (11-09-2010), Misslilrey (12-27-2010), Searchin (10-23-2010), sjb (10-26-2010), TINAV03 (11-04-2010)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kchapman For This Useful Post:
EagleRiverDee (11-09-2010), sjb (10-26-2010)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-22-2010, 10:26 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

Chloe1252 HB UserChloe1252 HB UserChloe1252 HB UserChloe1252 HB UserChloe1252 HB UserChloe1252 HB UserChloe1252 HB User
Re: 26 y/o - Had a stroke in August

Hi and welcome Keith!

Wow, you've been through a lot and only 26......so glad to hear you've made such a good recovery!

Yes, having a stroke does change you. Afterwards things like traffic jams, long lines at the store, etc. don't really bother you anymore, do they? It's just so wonderful to be able to talk and walk!

Old 10-23-2010, 01:58 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Positive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kchapman View Post
Hi, I am new to the board so let me introduce myself. My name is Keith, I am 26, and I live in south florida... Now for my story.

At 4AM, on August 11th, I woke my wife up with a seizure. She quickly stabilized me and called 911. They subsequently found that I had suffered an intracerebral hemorhage which caused my stroke (on the left side of the brain). They also found a blood clot in my brain.. 3 days later, still in the hospital, I began to seize constantly, and they had to induce a coma to allow my brain to rest. Whenever they tried to wake up, I would seize again. They were able to find an expiremental anti-seizure medication, and combined that with keppra, which stopped the seizures. The two weeks that took place in, I have absolutely no recolection, even though I was told I talked to people and responded to verbal commands. A couple weks after that, I was admited to the rehab facility at the hospital. Everything was going good until they discovered a DVT in my weakened (right) leg. They put an IVC filter in, because I couldn't take blood thinners. But unfortunately, before they put the filter in, part of the clot traveled to my lungs and I got a pulmonary embolism. They decided that they were going to try blood thinners, and monitor my brain to make sure it wouldn't start bleeding again. Luckily it did not! Also, I developed pnumonia the first couple weeks I was in the hospital. My stay at the hospital lasted about two months. My recovery has been great, I can talk like I did before (when I woke up I couldn't get a word out), I gained full strength in my leg, so am able to walk normally, and have gained full movement in my arm and hand, although they are still weak.

I attribute my recovery to the continuing support of my wife, and her keeping me in a positive state of mind. It is a difficult thing to go through, but you can come out of it with a new found appreciation for life, and the smaller things. It has made me a better person.
Hi kcchapman,
I am so sorry what has happened to you, espcieclly at so young. There is no reason for a stroke, just like you and just like me, it just happens. It sounds like your wife loves you and is trying to understand. It is going to be as hard as her as is for you. I was with my wife for 10 years and had a stroke. everything I used to do was gone, but we are going through it. now my wife has to do twice times now. it is hard on her for but we get through it. but you sound like a good couple. If I can help I will. I promise. You sound like some good kids and I dont' want to see something happen from your stroke.
Our strenght comes from our weakness. by the way a have aphasia from my stroke, so if my words look silly. It takes me half an hour that I used to do minutes, but that is my life. I will try to help if i can, let me know.
god bless,
tim

Old 10-26-2010, 04:30 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User

Keith,

I love your attitude! Thanks so much for sharing your compelling story..pure human spirit. I hope you stay with us and share some more of your positive energy with others here?

I share your experience with having a succession of major health problems...and the recovery which left me much stronger, much more happy with life everyday, it is a gift in an odd way.

Life is grand.

Old 10-27-2010, 04:48 PM   #5
(male)

kchapman HB User

Thank you guys for replies and support. It is really strange how something as devastating as this feels sometimes like a blessing. I now go to bed happy, and wake up happy! I remember the first time I was in rehab, the therapist was concerned how it was effecting me. Because before this I was extremely active, and a very physical person. I told her, although I went through a lot, I was glad it happened. It opened up my perspective on life that most people can't understand. I no longer take things for granted, and I'm thankful for every breath I get to take. Physically, I might not ever be the same, but mentally, I'm leaps and bounds from where I was a few months ago. And nobody can understand what that is like except people that go through traumatic, life changing, experiences.

Old 10-27-2010, 11:08 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

lizzy76 HB User

Welcome Keith and thanks for sharing your experience! I'm so glad you have made such an amazing recovery after having been through so much! Such strength and determination!

I'm 34 and had a stroke in June of this year and this board has been a great source of support and information for me. Before this board I had never met anyone my age who had suffered a stroke before! Being at a young age I'm sure you've run into this as well. Like you, I used to be active and loved sports but I've had to find alternative hobbies for the time being. I've taken up photography and still hit up the driving range now and then. I'm lookinng into taking some cooking classes just to fill some time until I'm cleared to go back to exercise. Best of luck to you!
Lizzy

Old 10-28-2010, 05:37 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

Positive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kchapman View Post
Thank you guys for replies and support. It is really strange how something as devastating as this feels sometimes like a blessing. I now go to bed happy, and wake up happy! I remember the first time I was in rehab, the therapist was concerned how it was effecting me. Because before this I was extremely active, and a very physical person. I told her, although I went through a lot, I was glad it happened. It opened up my perspective on life that most people can't understand. I no longer take things for granted, and I'm thankful for every breath I get to take. Physically, I might not ever be the same, but mentally, I'm leaps and bounds from where I was a few months ago. And nobody can understand what that is like except people that go through traumatic, life changing, experiences.
Hi Keith,
Thank you for sharing with us. Your attitude is very refreshing. You keep up the good work. It is hard and a long path we have been given. But everything works for good for all of us. Though we don't understand, it is a blessing we where given as you said. So please stay in touch with your progress.
Tim

Old 11-09-2010, 03:08 PM   #8
(female)

MissOldMe HB User

Great attitude! I'm 29 and had a stroke in April. It definitely does change you. I'm still struggling with emotional/psychological effects of my stroke, though thankfully have completed my physical recovery. That's one plus to having this happen so young - we can bounce back! Good luck with your recovery.

Old 11-09-2010, 03:11 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

EagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB User

Keith- welcome to the board, and thanks for your post. You have a wonderful attitude.

Old 11-10-2010, 06:41 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pegala HB UserPegala HB UserPegala HB UserPegala HB UserPegala HB UserPegala HB UserPegala HB User

Hello Keith,
You are an inspiration. It takes a strong person to keep going and to keep things in perspective.
I had a minor stoke on Monday. I'm one of the lucky ones who got a wake up call without any major lasting effects. I'm home already and should be back to work next week.
Last night, my husband told me that he was concerned about my spelling. His mom had a stroke years ago, and one of the side effects was poor spelling. After my husband left the hospital I sent him the following text: "Supercalifragilisticexpealidocious. How's my spelling". My husband laughed and knew that I was OK.
One of the lessons that my father instilled in me and my siblings was that no matter what happens we must keep our sense of humor. He was right.
Thanks for letting me joint you guys.
Peggy

Old 11-12-2010, 10:52 AM   #11
(female)

Rese HB User

Yes, best wishes going out to you

Also, everyone here should get aware of this issue: CT brain radiation overdoses. If you have strange symptoms, it may be because hospital gave a huge radiation overdose when doing the CT. Should check it out. < edited >

Last edited by hb-mod; 11-12-2010 at 11:58 AM. Reason: Please don't post unapproved websites, per Posting Policy. Thanks.

Closed Thread