It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Stroke Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-25-2010, 10:47 AM   #1
(female)

Angel Pie HB User
Unhappy Feeling tired after a stroke

Hello all i wish you all a very Merry Christmas, I have suffered a very mild stroke on my left side4 DAYS AGO. The doctor said i was very lucky that my stroke was very very small . Well now i'm home. is it normal to feel so very tired i can walk on my own infact i can use my left side except for holding things in my left hand. If i hold things in my left hand for a length of time it will slip out of my hand. however I have been feeling tired, is this normal how long til many of you recouperated?

Last edited by Angel Pie; 12-25-2010 at 10:48 AM.

Old 12-25-2010, 02:23 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

Chloe1252 HB UserChloe1252 HB UserChloe1252 HB UserChloe1252 HB UserChloe1252 HB UserChloe1252 HB UserChloe1252 HB User
Re: Feeling tired after a stroke

It's absolutely normal to feel very tired after a stroke, especially 4 days later!

Your brain is trying to recover from the insult it suffered, and sleep is one way of healing it. If you're tired, rest or sleep. Don't try to fight it as that will slow down your recovery. Trust your body - it knows what it needs!

For your affected side, I expect your doctor recommended physiotherapy? If not, I strongly suggest you find a clinic that deals with strokes. You should do this asap, as you don't want your brain to forget how to work your arm and leg, and especially how to perform the fine motor skills required to do things like write.

As for how long the fatigue lasts..probably different for everyone depending on the severity of the stroke. I, like you, had a very mild stroke in March and was very tired for 3 or 4 months afterwards.

Hope this helps!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-26-2010, 10:06 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Positive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB User

Hello Angel Pie,
I don't think I would add much to what Chloe said. I concur to everything she said. Don't fight sleep if your body tells you to. Right after my stroke I felt like I needed to sleep every afternoon, but I tried to make myself awake because "I never take naps in the afternoon." But I had to give in and slept when I felt like I needed too and that was much better for me. Your brain knows what it needs, so trust your own body. I don't need to take naps much anymore, but it has almost been a year since my stroke and I am still tired a lot. I really try not to push it. But there are some days that I feel like I have some energy and then I may try to tackle something that needs to be done around the house. I hope that helps a little.

God Bless,
Tim

Old 12-26-2010, 11:59 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

Chloe1252 HB UserChloe1252 HB UserChloe1252 HB UserChloe1252 HB UserChloe1252 HB UserChloe1252 HB UserChloe1252 HB User

Quote:
Right after my stroke I felt like I needed to sleep every afternoon, but I tried to make myself awake because "I never take naps in the afternoon."
I was the same way and I NEVER took naps either! No doctor told me about the exhaustion and I tried to ignore it and carry on, but it's impossible. So I gave in and every afternoon I too would get my blankie, sit on my Lazyboy chair, turn on the tube and doze off and on for hours, usually with a cat on my lap.

It was hard at first because I kept thinking of all the things I could/should be doing but really what's more important than recovering?

Old 12-26-2010, 02:49 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User

Hi, and welcome to our group of stroke survivors.

Sleep is the number one thing we all have in common, no matter how different our strokes are. It is something we all have to come to terms with, as you are noticing already.

I am so happy that you are recovering so well, but I agree with the others, there is no substitute for sleep. I had 4 severe strokes at the same time, and I was asleep the most of 2-3 years. I am still a napper now, I still get easily tired and have changed my entire lifestyle to one that is very accepting, very patient and keep myself as positive as possible. Although it has been quite a struggle at times, I like the new me and enjoy the preciousness of everyday.

Best wishes to you!

Last edited by writeleft; 12-27-2010 at 12:43 AM.

Old 12-26-2010, 03:15 PM   #6
(male)

kymmbo HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel Pie View Post
Hello all i wish you all a very Merry Christmas, I have suffered a very mild stroke on my left side4 DAYS AGO. The doctor said i was very lucky that my stroke was very very small . Well now i'm home. is it normal to feel so very tired i can walk on my own infact i can use my left side except for holding things in my left hand. If i hold things in my left hand for a length of time it will slip out of my hand. however I have been feeling tired, is this normal how long til many of you recouperated?
I'm so sorry too say i can't say how long the tiredness lasts. i had a massive infarc a month ago. and am enjoying the fact that i'm able to sleep so well. for years i've slept really badly. hopefully the recovery period won't last more than 6 months a woman at my work place was back at work after 7 months my stoke struck the left hand side of my brain so anything held in my left hand for any amount of time eventually falls out i've lost so much crockery it's very frustrating.

Old 01-04-2011, 12:53 AM   #7
(male)

chinhee HB User

Angel Pie

I had a mild stroke some 8 months ago and am on hypertension (Co-Diovan 80/120) and blood thinning medication (75 mg Plavix). Whilst I have on/off weakness on my left limbs I find that brisk walking or other forms exercise (playing golf etc) helps to improve my condition at least for some while and hopefully gradually remove the weakness permanently. Exercise also helps keep my BP down to abt 70/75 and 105/115 post exercise. Hope this helps

C H

Old 01-09-2011, 04:50 PM   #8
(male)

jvwh3b HB User

I am post-stroke 5 years now and I still get tired. I asked my doctors about this and their answers were usually non-committal, so I used the internet, read, andf networked with others. I think fatigue is to be expected because the brain has undergone tremendous changes no matter how small the stroke. Unfortunately, doctors really know very little about strokes so we stroke patients are usually more or less on our own.

Good luck in your continued recovery and yes, you do need rest! Also, therapy is absolutely necessary. I have some right-side weakness that was exacerbated even more because I was in Italy, flat in the bed for nearly two weeks when I had the stroke, with maybe one day of therapy. I still go to therapy here in the US, but the right hand is still not 100%. One other thing, I've researched hypnosis in stroke recovery and it sounds pretty good with some fairly good results. Check it out!

All the best.

Old 12-06-2011, 08:32 AM   #9
(female)

monicae HB User

I replying to your because the reply you got was very hejpful to me. I too, had a very mild stroke the day before thanksgiving. Something like 14 days ago. It was nice to hear tiredness is normal. Well wishes to you and like me, be patient and slow down. I know easier said than done.

Old 12-10-2011, 07:19 PM   #10
Inactive
(female)

Mulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB User

Hi Angel Pie
Im so sorry to hear about your stroke. Everyone is telling you that rest is very very important and I agree with that. After my stroke my husband insisted I nap in the morning and in the afternoon. I thought he was crazy and would argue with him saying I didnt need one. But 2 minutes on the pillow and I was out like a light for at least an hour maybe two. Your body is trying to heal and rest is the best thing you can do for it. How long you will take to recovering, everyone is different. Make sure you are striving towards mobility and strength and rest every chance you get. You are so new into your stroke recovery, physio is important Now.
God Bless Mulchie

Old 12-12-2011, 09:29 AM   #11
(female)

ennbee HB Userennbee HB Userennbee HB Userennbee HB Userennbee HB Userennbee HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel Pie View Post
Dear AngelPie:
My stroke was one year ago. Mine was large,however, and I still feel tired.From what I have read and heard this is not unusual. I had expected more recovery by now, even though neuro said 12-18 months for my arm/hand. For me recovery has not been a straight line upwards but has sideways and even backward steps from time to time.
I am very happy for you that your stroke was mild. That is excellent news
I hate seeing myself in a mirror or having this difficulty moving. I look and feel very old (and had another birthday yesterday). I still expect to fully recover but the timeline seems out of my hands, much like the stroke itself.

I hope you have a very Happy Christmas, with lots of love and little or no stress.
Ours will be small,just d/h, our 2 daughters and me, so mine will have lots of love and little stress(other than they have insisted on my doing a turkey with their help). I will accept all offers of help. A year ago, all gifts were bought and wrapped by now. The girls put up the tree and we have done some online ordering....it will all work out !!

Blessings
Nancy

The following user gives a hug of support to ennbee:
Mulchie (12-13-2011)
Closed Thread