It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Stroke Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2011, 04:24 PM   #1
(male)

sqaman HB User
Still feeling symptoms days after small stroke

I recently was diagnosed with a small stroke. My symptoms were light headedness and tingling in my lips and tongue. The emergency department confirmed stroke after ecg, bloodwork and cat scan. I was sent home with a script for high blood pressure medication (perindopril erbumine) and aspirin. The next day my symptoms intensified and added numbness and tingling in my right arm and leg. I returned to the er at the hospital and they did another electrocardiagram but not another cat scan. They then sent me home and told me to be sure and take the meds while they made me an appointment with the stroke clinic. It's now been almost a week and all of the symptoms are still with me. What's going on, is this normal? I'm almost considering going to a different hospital in another nearby city because I'm not satisfied with our own hospital. Shouldn't these symptoms be going away?

Old 02-14-2011, 05:06 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User
Re: Still feeling symptoms days after small stroke

Hi Sgaman, and welcome to the HealthBoards. You have come to the right place for answers to your questions and support following your stroke. We have a great group of stroke survivors here to help.

First of all, sorry to hear about your stroke. It it not unusual at all for symptoms of stroke to take some time to resolve. No matter how "small" a stroke is, it is still an injury to your brain. Some people like to call them brain attacks, which better describes the event.

Depending on the place the stroke happened in your brain, will make the difference between how it affects you. Strokes damage the blood supply that feeds your brain, and the recovery includes the brain re-routing the blood vessels, which is what is happening now. During that time, the functions that the particular area of the brain controls, are either shut down or functioning at a lesser level than before. That explains the symptoms you are experiencing, as well as how they seemed to worsen a few days passed the stroke.

You will likely notice an increased need for sleep, and it is very important to do so. It is during sleep that the majority of the healing happens. Your brain needs that extra time without the burden of daily functions coming first. Be very patient with yourself and allow your brain to repair itself.

Please feel free to continue to ask any questions that come up, the time following strokes can be confusing and emotional. We understand all of that, and are here to help you in any way we can.

You will likely find that the doctors are limited in what the can offer you medically. They do not often understand all that goes with stroke, and that is where we come in.

Welcome to our family of stroke survivors, we are happy to have you with us.

janet

The Following User Says Thank You to writeleft For This Useful Post:
sqaman (02-14-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-14-2011, 06:11 PM   #3
(male)

sqaman HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by writeleft View Post
Hi Sgaman, and welcome to the HealthBoards. You have come to the right place for answers to your questions and support following your stroke. We have a great group of stroke survivors here to help.

First of all, sorry to hear about your stroke. It it not unusual at all for symptoms of stroke to take some time to resolve. No matter how "small" a stroke is, it is still an injury to your brain. Some people like to call them brain attacks, which better describes the event.

Depending on the place the stroke happened in your brain, will make the difference between how it affects you. Strokes damage the blood supply that feeds your brain, and the recovery includes the brain re-routing the blood vessels, which is what is happening now. During that time, the functions that the particular area of the brain controls, are either shut down or functioning at a lesser level than before. That explains the symptoms you are experiencing, as well as how they seemed to worsen a few days passed the stroke.

You will likely notice an increased need for sleep, and it is very important to do so. It is during sleep that the majority of the healing happens. Your brain needs that extra time without the burden of daily functions coming first. Be very patient with yourself and allow your brain to repair itself.

Please feel free to continue to ask any questions that come up, the time following strokes can be confusing and emotional. We understand all of that, and are here to help you in any way we can.

You will likely find that the doctors are limited in what the can offer you medically. They do not often understand all that goes with stroke, and that is where we come in.

Welcome to our family of stroke survivors, we are happy to have you with us.

janet
Janet,

Thank you so much for your quick response, I must admit that you've made me feel much better. You've provided more information than the er doctor did and I can now relax and take your advice. It's so great to have a resource like this site provides and,
if need be, I will definitely know where to turn for answers. Again, many, many thanks.

Sqaman

Old 02-14-2011, 06:53 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User

That is wonderful! Most of here have gone through the same experience with our doctors. All we are left with are questions, and in many of our cases, we are also very confused and upset by this moment that changes our entire lives.

I have found such great friendships here, because life after stroke can be a lonely place for many of us. Our families don't understand, we often look just fine, but inside are scrambled as eggs!

Keep us posted as you move ahead through the process of recovery. Everything that we can share helps many others, and just the act of writing things out is very helpful.

Happy to have helped a bit..great days ahead!

Janet

Old 02-15-2011, 07:20 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

Chloe1252 HB UserChloe1252 HB UserChloe1252 HB UserChloe1252 HB UserChloe1252 HB UserChloe1252 HB UserChloe1252 HB User

Hi, and welcome to a fellow Canuck!

Not much to add to the wonderful information and advice Janet gave you, except to agree that you sometimes don't get too much info from doctors.

I was in the hospital 4 days following my stroke and, while the care I got was excellent, I was sent home with not one word about what to expect. Therefore, the exhaustion, dizziness, disorientation etc scared me a lot and a little searching on the net led me to this forum. I too found it comforting to find that what I was feeling was quite normal.

Please feel free to post whatever you like, no matter how minor it may seem. We understand totally..I hope you stick around and let us know what happens at the stroke clinic!

The Following User Says Thank You to Chloe1252 For This Useful Post:
sqaman (02-15-2011)
Old 02-15-2011, 07:32 AM   #6
(male)

sqaman HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chloe1252 View Post
Hi, and welcome to a fellow Canuck!

Not much to add to the wonderful information and advice Janet gave you, except to agree that you sometimes don't get too much info from doctors.

I was in the hospital 4 days following my stroke and, while the care I got was excellent, I was sent home with not one word about what to expect. Therefore, the exhaustion, dizziness, disorientation etc scared me a lot and a little searching on the net led me to this forum. I too found it comforting to find that what I was feeling was quite normal.

Please feel free to post whatever you like, no matter how minor it may seem. We understand totally..I hope you stick around and let us know what happens at the stroke clinic!

Old 02-15-2011, 07:38 AM   #7
(male)

sqaman HB User

Fellow Canuck,

Thank you also for the response. Between Janet and yourself, you've made me feel so much better and more informed. It's unfortunate that the emergency room doctors couldn't have provided the assurance that this forum does but thank god there are forums like this and concerned people like yourself and Janet. I think that people sharing their own experiences is such a wonderful venue and, as I go forward, I will definitely share my own experience in the hope that others can gain something from it. Again, thank you from the bottom of my heart.

Sqaman

Old 02-15-2011, 07:46 AM   #8
(male)

sqaman HB User

Fellow Canuck,

Thank you for your concern and for the response. Janet and yourself have helped immensely, if only the ER doctors had been so informative. I think that this forum is such a wonderful venue for people to learn from others' experiences and I certainly will stay in contact as I go forward in the hopes that my personal experiences can be of some benefit to others. I agree that the days following a stroke can be so scary not knowing what to expect and what's normal but it's concerned people like Janet and yourself that enlighten
and bring hope to people like myself. Again, from the bottom of my heart, thank you all.

Sqaman

Old 02-15-2011, 08:10 AM   #9
Inactive
(female)

Good morning!

It is people like yourself that keep us coming back everyday. I found this forum like many of us did, searching for any information we can get followinf stroke.

When I came here I was several years past my 4 strokes, and I still could not speak well enough to have meaningful conversations with anyone...one thing I really missed. I could not write well either, but I re-learned here, often taking hours to get a paragraph down. My thoughts were so jumbled, I would forget what I was thinking about just minutes before, never to be recalled. It has been writing that has saved me, for without it my spoken words are still just like gibberish. When people see me write, they cannot believe it is the same person! Isn't that funny?

For the first year I was asleep about 22 hours a day. It was the only place I could feel relief from the confusion. Very scary. It was 4 years before I could drive again, but still do not like to get out of my neighborhood.

So, I too have a great bond with the folks here, the only ones who really know how it feels. It is so rewarding to know this tragic event has turned into a blessing, and that we can reach out and help another through this difficult time.

We are one board where everyone who comes here gets a response, be it family members or other survivors. In time you will meet most of us, everyone has their own take on what stroke has meant to them. It is truly a life changing experience for many of us. If nothing else, it teaches us to the most important lessons...like appreciation of the tiniest things in life, the importance of real friends, and the amazing brains we have, that are capable of so much.

Enjoy today!

The Following User Says Thank You to writeleft For This Useful Post:
sqaman (02-15-2011)
Old 02-15-2011, 09:52 AM   #10
(male)

sqaman HB User

Dear writeleft,

Wow, what a wonderful letter. You've obviously been through a lot and yet you've come away with an amazing spirit. I can only imagine what you must have felt and, I agree, it's the friendships that we make along the way that
helps us get through it. With all the bad in the world, it's so rewarding to know that there are people out there who can and do make a difference in the lives of others. I commend you and I too am happy to know that I've made a new friend.

Sqaman

Old 02-15-2011, 01:02 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(male)

Positive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB User

Hi sqaman,
I am happy you found this forum and welcome. I read your questions about your stroke and I don't think I can add much to Janet and Chloe. They both said about what I would say to you. The only thing I may add is that talking to other stroke survivors was such a help for me after my stroke. I felt so alone and didn't get too many answers after the hospital. I actually had my wife find this forum because at first, I could not even write very well and knew I couldn't search a stroke forum on my own. But she found this one and I have been here for almost a year now. This forum was a big reason I feel my recovery has been going so well. Just sparking up those brain cells to help heal and just knowing that "I wasn't going crazy". I have heard so many new stroke survivors say that, but there are friends here and know how you feel. I wish you well.
God Bless,
Tim

Old 02-15-2011, 01:59 PM   #12
(male)

sqaman HB User

Tim,

Thanks for the support and I too am both amazed and thrilled to have discovered this site. I've learned more in the past day and a half than
I could have imagined. While I did receive good care in the emergency room, I was sent home with next to no idea what was to come and so, when my symptoms worsened when I expected them to disappear, I was left wondering where to turn for answers. I didn't know whether I was still having the stroke or what and the caring people who have responded to my letter have really helped to allay my fears. I realize now that I still need to heal but
I'm much more confident in knowing that others have been there and are more than willing to share their experiences. I only hope that I can do the same for someone else some day. Again, thank you for being there when I needed a friend.

Sqaman
Actually Ted

Old 02-15-2011, 02:01 PM   #13
Inactive
(female)

I greatly appreciate your kind words Sqaman, and I am blessed to have you as a friend.

I have some questions about you, if you do not mind...

What was the date of your stroke, and how did it come on? Where were you, and how soon did you get into the hospital?

Are you off work (I hope so), and what are your plans from here?

Anything you feel like sharing will help us to get to know you, and we would all like that-
Right Chloe? Right Tim?

We consider ourselves to be a family that has come together from around the world to help one another and all that need us. We are proud to have you!

Janet

Old 02-15-2011, 02:26 PM   #14
(male)

sqaman HB User

Janet,

About one week ago, I started to feel very light headed and I felt a tingling in
my lips and tongue. I was at home but, like an idiot, I did nothing and hoped it was just a passing event. The next day, when the symptoms persisted, I went to the urgent care facility at a local clinic where the doctor checked me over, suspecting a stroke, and basically came up empty. She did advise me to start taking aspirin and said that if the symptoms persisted, to go to the ER at the hospital. On day three, I finally took the hint and went to the emergency room where they confirmed the small stroke. After returning home,
the symptoms worsened and I began to feel numbness and tingling in my right arm and leg. At this point I was really worried and returned to the ER. They did another ECG, though not another cat scan, and sent me home. I still have all of the symptoms and have not yet heard from the stroke clinic so I took it upon myself to call them today. I was informed that they are now booking into April and I would hear from them soon. Apparently, they're also planning on doing more tests like an ultrasound on my neck given that I have four bad discs at the base of the neck with one ruptured disc. So, as it stands now, you guys are definitely the best game in town and I am forever grateful to have found you. I must admit that I've known family members who have had very serious strokes and I've lived in fear of having one myself given a maternal history of high blood pressure and heart attacks and strokes.
Believe it or not, this really took me by surprise as I thought I was still in pretty good shape although I have gained 25 pounds since I retired three years ago. I do admit that I've been fighting high cholesterol for a while and recently had my crestor raised from 10 to 20mg because the 10 was no longer effective. Unlike all of my siblings though, my blood pressure was never a huge problem. I also was a very heavy smoker for 25 years but managed to kick that nasty habit 18 years ago so, again, I was really blindsided by this event. I guess, if I've learned one thing, it's don't play games with your health, if you suspect a problem, get to the hospital. Perhaps that's something that I can pass along, don't wait, do it NOW!
Thanks again Janet,

Sqaman
Though I prefer Ted.

Old 02-15-2011, 03:09 PM   #15
Inactive
(female)

OK Ted,
(and yes that is a better greeting to your posts)
Now we have a better idea of who you are..

Are the tingling and the numbness remaining a they have been since the third day? That must be quite a feeling. I did not have the numbness that I can remember. Did stroke ever cross your mind once you got the symptoms? I imagine not, since you did not rush to the hospital.

So you are retired so work is not an issue. Have you found yourself to be easily tired, or need extra sleep since?

Are there things you cannot do in your normal daily life, such as buttoning your shirt or hand writing? On your right side, meaning that the stroke happened on the left side of your brain. Thank goodness it was on the milder side, as you have seen strokes can be anywhere from deadly to almost un-noticeable.

Have you been checking your blood pressure and finding it to be normal? My strokes were brought on after years of uncontrollable HPB, which led to the kidney failure. That has been my greatest side effect, now that all the other things have been re-learned. I have even been able to get back on my quad and rip it up in the desert, but don't like going anywhere alone, even after 7 years.

I would encourage you to do your own physical therapy until you can get into the stroke center. Tim might have some exercises to help the hand and leg. For now, I would simply keep as much blood flowing by squeezing a rubber ball, opening and closing the hand and flexing the foot and the knee. Try some flexibility moves by placing your hands flat together, elbows up and placing pressure on the hands and fingers. Anything you can do to maintain strength, flexibility, and not allowing your hand and leg to become inactive and weak.

It is now time for me to go back to my number one job, and that is my 16 year old son. I am a single parent, and this has been a tough time for us, but without him I don't know what I would have done. He was only 9 years old when this all happened.

Have a great evening Ted...
janet

Last edited by writeleft; 02-15-2011 at 03:11 PM.

Closed Thread