It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Stroke Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-14-2011, 01:50 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pegala HB UserPegala HB UserPegala HB UserPegala HB UserPegala HB UserPegala HB UserPegala HB User
TIA and Exhaustion

Dear Friends,
I had a minor stroke this past November. I got back on my feet and was feeling pretty good.
Last Sunday, 3-6, I had a TIA. I went to the doctor and had a CT of my head done. The CT looks good. The doctor told me to continue taking my meds, keep loosing weight and keep watching what I eat. I'm feeling better now than I did 8 days ago, but I'm exhausted and my speech is choppy. Is this to be expected?
The day that I had the TIA I also fell and ended up with an infection in my foot. The infection was becoming systemic by the time I had it looked at. As a result of this infection I'm taking Bactrim.
I'm back to work, but by the time I get home I'm wiped out. I also spent a good part of this past weekend taking naps or resting. I don't know if being so tired is part of the TIA process or not. Please let me know what you think.
Thank you for all of your support.
Peggy

Old 03-14-2011, 03:57 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

Chloe1252 HB UserChloe1252 HB UserChloe1252 HB UserChloe1252 HB UserChloe1252 HB UserChloe1252 HB UserChloe1252 HB User
Re: TIA and Exhaustion

So sorry to hear of this latest incident.

The exhaustion is totally normal. Just go with it as your body/brain knows what it needs. I spent much of my days for a couple of months napping and resting, and I wasn't even going to work as you are!

Take care and get as much rest as you possibly can.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-14-2011, 04:18 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Positive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB User

Peggy,
Your exhaustion is normal. In my opinion, you should not have gotten back to work so soon. I understand that you may have to be there for monetary reasons, but I believe that even a small TIA is big event in your life. After a stroke, your brain has to work twice as much to repair itself and you still have to do the day to day things at work which make it very stressful. You need as much relax and sleep as possible right now. Our society makes us work ourselves to much and make you feel less if you don't do xxx amounts of work everyday. Well, your "mini" stroke has altered your brain, even if it was a little, and you are not the same person you were before the stroke happened. I don't know why TIA's seem to be taken like a headache to those that have not had one. I know you need to work, but the best thing you can do right now is to rest as much as possible. Drink as much water as you can. Our brains are 90% water and when they are thirsty, they don't think as well.

Anyway, your sleeping is very normal after a stroke and don't fight it. Sleep when your body tells you to if you can.

God Bless,
Tim

The following user gives a hug of support to Positive Cynic:
Pegala (03-17-2011)
Old 03-14-2011, 08:32 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

Chloe1252 HB UserChloe1252 HB UserChloe1252 HB UserChloe1252 HB UserChloe1252 HB UserChloe1252 HB UserChloe1252 HB User

Totally agree with Tim. If at all possible you really need some time off to rest and heal.

Old 03-17-2011, 05:25 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pegala HB UserPegala HB UserPegala HB UserPegala HB UserPegala HB UserPegala HB UserPegala HB User

Dear Friends,
Happy St. Patrick's Day!
Thank you for all of your support. I trust you guys that I need to get more rest. When I went to the doctor the day after the stroke she didn't tell me that I should take time off. I'm thinking that I need to get back in to the neurologist and review things with her, and come up with a plan, including taking time off from work.
I have cut back on my activities. I'm not trying to get everything done, and I go to bed an hour earlier than before. I"m going to sit with my husband this weekend and write up a rehab plan. Thank goodness the kids are grown, so when I get home from work I put my feet up and relax. The house isn't as clean as it should be, but too bad, I can't do it all.
I'm finally feeling human again. Yesterday was the first day since the TIA that I didn't feel fuzzy brained.
Thanks again for all of your help and support.
Peggy

Old 03-17-2011, 08:46 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

None of the doctors I saw, from an internist to a neurologist, ever mentioned the exhaustion and fatigue to me. I got quite upset back home, thinking "What's wrong with me?"

After I found this great place and learned that it's totally normal I stopped fighting it and surrendered. Fighting it or pushing yourself will just slow down recovery.

The housework will wait for you, I guarantee it!

Old 03-18-2011, 03:12 PM   #7
(male)

glen22222 HB User

I really would question that the last episode was a TIA, there is supposed to be no effects after 24 hours. I think it is more likely it was actually another stroke with the resulting fatigue quite common after a stroke.

The Following User Says Thank You to glen22222 For This Useful Post:
Pegala (03-18-2011)
Old 03-18-2011, 04:57 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hello Friends,
Thank you all for your input and support.
Glenn, I'm new to this stroke stuff. What is the difference between a TIA and a stroke?
When the latest episode started it was with a physical "tic" to my tongue. I knew what I wanted to say but there was an actual jolt that went through my tongue that prevented me from talking. Does this sound familiar to anyone?
My speech has finally returned to normal. It took about 8 days to resolve.
I've gone back to my family doctor, and as I've said she told me that the head CT was fine, to resume my meds.
Does it sound like I should go back to the Cardiologist, or the Neurologist? I'm not sure what to do from here.
Thanks again all.
Peggy

Closed Thread