It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Stroke Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-21-2011, 06:08 PM   #1
(female)

Aisling123 HB User
Mini stroke and memory loss?

Hi,

I am writing about a friend of mine who is currently in hospital undergoing tests after a stroke.
He is 27, type 1 diabetic and now has short term memory loss. The thing is, he is my ex boyfriend and we broke up about 3 weeks ago.
However, when I went to visit him yesterday, he thought I was still his girlfriend and told everyone we were going out for nearly 3 years now...
That is the least of our problems at the moment, I am so worried about him.
I found it so distressing yesterday listening to him asking the same questions every 2 minutes, also he was completely unaware that we broke up...

He is going for an MRI and an EEG tomorrow, so I guess this is just to detect the extent of the brain damage. The doctors say it was a "mini stroke" so does this mean that his memory loss will be permanent?

I haven't slept properly all weekend, I am sick with worry. I obviously still love him, I am just so sad to think that he could be like this forever.

Does anyone have a feel good story to pick me up?

Thanks x

Old 03-22-2011, 07:08 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

Chloe1252 HB UserChloe1252 HB UserChloe1252 HB UserChloe1252 HB UserChloe1252 HB UserChloe1252 HB UserChloe1252 HB User
Re: Mini stroke and memory loss?

I don't know about a "feel good" story, although I'm sure many people here have them!
For a well known inspirational story, see Patricia Neal (actress) who recovered completely from 3 devastating strokes.

There is every reason to hope your boyfriend will regain his short-term memory and any other functions that may be compromised. I know how shocking and distressing it is to see someone this way, but he just had the stroke and I'm sure you'll see some improvement with each visit.

Just try and be cheerful and upbeat when you see him!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-22-2011, 01:18 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Positive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB User
Re: Mini stroke and memory loss?

Hello Aisling,
Welcome. I hope I can help you a little. You say he is your ex-boyfriend but obviously you still care for him deeply, or you would not be seeing him now in the hospital and asking questions here. I can say that his memory will come back. Not totally, but most of it will, but it takes some time. About him asking the same question over and over again, please be patient. His brain had a trauma and his thoughts are all scrambled up right now. I guarantee that he understands what you are saying, but his brain is just working extra hard to understand what is going on right now. Just so you know, it took me 5 days to remember my own wife's name, but I did eventually. Also understand that he may be afraid right now. He is more confused and worried than you are right now, and he probably doesn't even understand that he had a stroke. The first few weeks after a stroke are just crazy, but things calm down and his memories will come back and he can start getting better and he will. I know you two are ex's but he might need you know... I think you still care about him just because you wrote here. If you are there with him now, be patient and loving and it will help him get better sooner.

I personally think that I am a better person after my stroke. I just have a new view on life and appreciate everything. It has been over a year and very stressful for my whole family, but I can say that it was a blessing after everything that happened and it gets better everyday. Things will be o.k. and work out the way they were meant to be.

God Bless,
Tim

Last edited by Positive Cynic; 03-22-2011 at 01:21 PM.

Closed Thread