It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Stroke Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2011, 02:45 PM   #1
(male)

ProbeTIA HB User
Transient Ischemic Attack? very worried

Hi,

History: I am a 20 year old man. I used to do boxing: did it for about 2 years and then left it a year ago after suffering a concussion. The only visible effect of the concussion was a temporary loss of memory of the events immediately following the incident.

The problem: I was reading about the symptoms of transient ischemic attack, and it has got me quite worried.

A few weeks ago, while doing a shoulder exercise (front raise), I noticed that whenever my right arm was in a certain position (arm parallel to the ground and dumbell at shoulder height), the right side of my face drooped. This occured only during that exercise and only when my right arm was raised (it did not occur when I raised my left arm). I don't think I suffered any significant weakness in my limbs because I was still able to continue the exercise (and did the number of sets/reps I had planned to do) and was able to walk in a normal way as well.

What do you think... was it a transient ischemic attack?

Old 03-30-2011, 02:52 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

Chloe1252 HB UserChloe1252 HB UserChloe1252 HB UserChloe1252 HB UserChloe1252 HB UserChloe1252 HB UserChloe1252 HB User
Re: Transient Ischemic Attack? very worried

Hi there and welcome!

Nobody here can give an opinion on this. If you even think there is the smallest possibility that you had a stroke, you need to go to the emergency room right now.

A TIA requires immediate attention, so don't wait, okay?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-30-2011, 03:00 PM   #3
(male)

ProbeTIA HB User

Thanks for replying

By the way, do you have any info on whether a TIA can be diagnosed weeks after it occured? I read that even CT Scan and MRI cannot detect it because there is no permanent damage to the brain.

Old 03-30-2011, 03:05 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Positive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB User

Hi ProbeTIA,
I agree with Chloe. With what you wrote and your experience please see a dr. soon. A brain trauma is very serious. I know you are young and feel you can take up the world, but please don't box again until you see a doctor about this. The reason that you even wrote here means that there is something going on, you may have not thought of before.
God Bless,
Tim

Last edited by Positive Cynic; 03-30-2011 at 03:08 PM.

Old 03-30-2011, 03:09 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

Chloe1252 HB UserChloe1252 HB UserChloe1252 HB UserChloe1252 HB UserChloe1252 HB UserChloe1252 HB UserChloe1252 HB User

I really don't know about the diagnosis so long after the fact, but if you feel you had a TIA, there are many tests that will need to be run to help figure out what's going on with you, and why. The fact that you had a bad concussion will be taken into account, I'm sure.

It could be something very minor, but if in fact you had a TIA you need to make sure it gets looked after, since that often is a little precursor to a real stroke. At 20 years old you don't want that (well, we don't want it at any age, but you get the point!)

Old 03-30-2011, 03:23 PM   #6
(male)

ProbeTIA HB User

Hmm... There's one more thing I'd like to add. About a week after that incident, I suffered from supraventricular tachycardia. My pulse rate suddenly increased and when it didnt come down even after an hour, I visited the emergency room of a hospital. After a few maneuvers my heart rate was back to normal. I told my cardiologist that I'd been drinking loads of tea. He said that that could be a possible cause, and told me to avoid it.

Im very concerned about this whole affair. Which doctor should I go to.. the neurosurgeon? Will he be able to analyse my ECG and determine whether the heart condition is responsible or not?

Old 05-17-2011, 06:02 PM   #7
(male)

ineedareed HB User

Yes. Prior strokes can be detected. My wife, 33 years old, just gave birth and had many TIAs. Turns out she has Moyamoya disease. After the initial scans were done the doctor said that she had experienced many prior TIAs, and after some thought we can remember many instances of them, strange tingling, temporary loss of speech, etc. We just thought at the time that it was due to fatigue. So yes, get tested if you haven't already. Strokes are serious business.

The Following User Says Thank You to ineedareed For This Useful Post:
Chloe1252 (05-20-2011)
Closed Thread