It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Stroke Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-16-2011, 01:45 PM   #16
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User
Re: Physio after stroke

Beautiful words Tim, and I know the thought that goes behind them is so real.

Old 04-17-2011, 10:18 AM   #17
(female)

Alberta1967 HB UserAlberta1967 HB UserAlberta1967 HB UserAlberta1967 HB UserAlberta1967 HB UserAlberta1967 HB UserAlberta1967 HB UserAlberta1967 HB UserAlberta1967 HB User

Thank you Tim. I never really thought of it that way. I have not lost anyone close to me either. When & if that happens, I know I will cry. But Thank You so much for suggesting that. Alberta

The following 3 users give hugs of support to: Alberta1967
ennbee (04-17-2011), Positive Cynic (04-17-2011), writeleft (04-17-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-17-2011, 11:39 AM   #18
Senior Veteran
(male)

Positive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB User

You are very welcome Alberta. I am glad that what I write helped a little. Sometimes it is hard to know if what i mean to say comes out the way it was meant. I have to re-read everything 10 times it seems. I wish you all the best in your continuing recovery.
Tim

Old 04-17-2011, 06:17 PM   #19
(male)

lmorgan79 HB Userlmorgan79 HB Userlmorgan79 HB Userlmorgan79 HB Userlmorgan79 HB Userlmorgan79 HB User

It is truly amazing how much progress one makes over time. 8 years ago, I couldn't do a transfer, go to the bathroom, even stay on a bed without falling off!

Deficits still remain and progress is s l o w, but at least I'm alive. The lack of ability to cry is not totally a foreign idea. For me, it was the lack of ability to tell that I was hungry, or full. I just used my watch to tell me when to eat, and when to stop. Otherwise, I would keep eating, and eating. I have sense of hunger, and fullness now, but that wasn't always the case. It gradually returns.

It seems that anything that wasn't directly affected by the stroke may return spontaneously. Things that were directly affected can still be done, but they need to be relearned. My stroke was in the cerebellum, so coordination was directly affected. As a result, I have relearn things like golfing, playing my guitar, even swinging a hammer, or killing a spider.

Any therapist has a choice to make. They can either help you regain lost skills exactly as you once did them, or focus on re-teaching skills so that they can be accomplished given the deficits that remain. It's a moving target, too. What is true today, may not be true tomorrow. Doctors, and therapists are really in the best position to assess the best route to take with a particular issue. If you really want to tackle an issue, and it's not being addressed, say so. A good understanding of your particular situation isn't a bad thing. In fact, it may be just what is needed. Never be afraid to say exactly what you want.

One last thought...Never let anyone tell you what you can/cannot do. You can do more than you think. You may even surprise yourself.

Best wishes to all,

Lee

Old 04-17-2011, 07:46 PM   #20
(female)

Alberta1967 HB UserAlberta1967 HB UserAlberta1967 HB UserAlberta1967 HB UserAlberta1967 HB UserAlberta1967 HB UserAlberta1967 HB UserAlberta1967 HB UserAlberta1967 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmorgan79 View Post
It is truly amazing how much progress one makes over time. 8 years ago, I couldn't do a transfer, go to the bathroom, even stay on a bed without falling off!

Deficits still remain and progress is s l o w, but at least I'm alive. The lack of ability to cry is not totally a foreign idea. For me, it was the lack of ability to tell that I was hungry, or full. I just used my watch to tell me when to eat, and when to stop. Otherwise, I would keep eating, and eating. I have sense of hunger, and fullness now, but that wasn't always the case. It gradually returns.

It seems that anything that wasn't directly affected by the stroke may return spontaneously. Things that were directly affected can still be done, but they need to be relearned. My stroke was in the cerebellum, so coordination was directly affected. As a result, I have relearn things like golfing, playing my guitar, even swinging a hammer, or killing a spider.

Any therapist has a choice to make. They can either help you regain lost skills exactly as you once did them, or focus on re-teaching skills so that they can be accomplished given the deficits that remain. It's a moving target, too. What is true today, may not be true tomorrow. Doctors, and therapists are really in the best position to assess the best route to take with a particular issue. If you really want to tackle an issue, and it's not being addressed, say so. A good understanding of your particular situation isn't a bad thing. In fact, it may be just what is needed. Never be afraid to say exactly what you want.

One last thought...Never let anyone tell you what you can/cannot do. You can do more than you think. You may even surprise yourself.

Best wishes to all,

Lee
Now see, that is another thing. I can't tell when I am full. I have gained about 40 to 50 pounds. Since my strokes, I think my brain forgot to tell my stomach to wake up.I would love to lose this weight. Any suggestions? I could really use some help. Alberta

Old 04-17-2011, 09:23 PM   #21
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User

Very interesting post Lee. That serves our (completely non-official) theory that the best consultation about strokes comes from a group of survivors who are interested in sharing information, rather than one particular doctors experience with what stroke survivors have been telling him/her.

What is most common between us is our differences in recovery. Each of us gets their own bag of tricks to overcome. While each of our bags are different in content, they are all made out to the same fabric. They are all familiar to each of us.

Nancy, I have heard you ask when the good comes out of this, and I really want to answer that question for you. I would say it is when you realize that you have re learned... done the impossible from where you are right now. Arm wrestling with that arm that is not able to serve you today. So, pick a few things you really want back and get them back. Check your list every three months for signs of change. I like the three month plan for progress. I still have realizations about new things I have learned, I wish I would have written them down as I realized them, that would have given my confidence a boost, seeing a list of little accomplishments. That is how things have come to me, in very little pieces, which is why I encourage folks to keep their eyes on the tiny things they love. Things do not usually change in huge amounts, rather tiny little changes that are worth seeing unfold.

I am sorry I do not have the typical strength, I have become very anemic with my recent relapse. I have gone from sleeping 8 and waking for 16, to sleeping 16 hours a night. It is quite shocking to me. My writing time has suffered. It is so nice to get one good post off. Blessings to you Nancy

Janet

Old 04-18-2011, 06:30 AM   #22
(male)

lmorgan79 HB Userlmorgan79 HB Userlmorgan79 HB Userlmorgan79 HB Userlmorgan79 HB Userlmorgan79 HB User

Something I forgot to mention is that it seems like most of the major milestones are reached pretty early on, which may contribute to others remarking the overall speed of your recovery. But, alas, it's not fast. It's only that big changes are very apparent. In fact, progress is glacial. But it continues (well past the initial 2 years).

What I always try to do is focus on one thing to accomplish. Once that's finally done, move on to the next thing. That approach may not work for you, but it does for me. Whatever seems to work for you, do it.

Keep on trying. You'll get there.

Lee

Old 04-18-2011, 10:51 AM   #23
Inactive
(female)

Glacial...that describes it perfectly!

Old 04-18-2011, 10:59 AM   #24
(male)

Sometimes the progress seems so slow that even glacial is way too fast. It's almost seems like I'm going backwards. Oh well...

Old 04-18-2011, 11:28 AM   #25
Inactive
(female)

Lee,

Can you remind me of when your stroke was?

I can still see progress after 8 years, I am expecting it to continue throughout my lifetime. I still have a lot of things to do! I still cannot cook without great confusion, almost panicky and exhausted by the time I am done...but I am working on that. I still feel uncomfortable driving by myself, actually getting lost in my own neighborhood twice yesterday. But, I take it all in stride, and laugh at myself all the time, another thing that takes time to develop.

I clearly remember one day when I realized that I could not think, I would have a thought, that would disappear and I could not get it back. I couldn't remember anything long enough to make a sentence. I remember thinking I would never be able to draw or paint or write again, for sure! I could not keep an idea together. When I did begin to try, what I saw was foreign to me- not my art, not my writing.

love to all, Janet

Old 04-18-2011, 11:37 AM   #26
(male)

The only help I can offer is to use your watch, and set a time limit. For me, it was about 20 minutes. When the time was up, I was finished, no matter what was left on the plate. Now, my wife thinks I am too thin, but that's a totally unrelated issue. It has more to do with my teen-aged daughter being on a diet - so everyone here is also. Maybe, I'll just have to be more of a pig . My sense of fullness finally returned in year 7, I think.

Old 04-18-2011, 01:14 PM   #27
(female)

ennbee HB Userennbee HB Userennbee HB Userennbee HB Userennbee HB Userennbee HB User

I love and have greatly missed our little place in the country. So a couple of weeks ago we went for an overnight to see how it worked.Now we are going for the Easter weekend.Yippppeee. It will be quite a while before I can stay on my own...but it will happen eventually.

Today I paased my field of vision testing and perceptual testing with flying colours at OT. i will happily accept small goals as long as progress continues to move forward towards my bigger ones (and it is).

Yesterday I felt like Dorothy in the wizard of oz but without the red slippers to tap together to go "home. interesting comparison.
Blessings and goals to all,
Nancy

Last edited by ennbee; 04-18-2011 at 01:25 PM.

The following user gives a hug of support to ennbee:
Positive Cynic (04-18-2011)
Old 04-18-2011, 02:23 PM   #28
(male)

Janet,

My stroke - hemhorrhagic, cerebellar - was March of '03. It's weird, I can drive just fine, but have trouble writing. It's legible, but painfully slow. If someone asks me to sign my name, it's almost like I'm writing a book. Mortgages? Forget about it. Cooking, for me, is OK. Peeling apples is a challenge! I used to cook all the time. Now, I like eating! I still cook a bit though.

Lee

The Following User Says Thank You to lmorgan79 For This Useful Post:
Positive Cynic (04-18-2011)
Old 04-18-2011, 03:41 PM   #29
Senior Veteran
(male)

Positive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB User

Hi Nancy,
Great to see you again. I am glad you are getting out, though I totally understand how hard it is. The red slippers is a great we to think how you feel. There is real nothing better than home. I could not go out of the house for a long time and when I did I felt afraid. I don't know why. I just didn't want to leave the house. Well it has gotten better after awhile, but I still don't like to leave the house.

My wife's mom and dad just retired last year and we always went to see them every July 4th. Well, the first year after my stroke, they just build a new home that was lovely and had a 50 anniversary reunite. I could not go. I love her parents like my own, but I said I can't go. I need to be home. I could not be home for 10 days and all of the people that were going to be there everyday. I used to be so social, but I knew that it would be too hard for me. So that was the first time Anita (my wife) went to see her parent's without me. I felt so guilty, but I knew I could not do it. Especailly being with alot of people for a long time bother me. It is like too much to handle. Our brains get on over-load and you just want quiet.

Anyway I hope you have fun. Just know if you don't feel your ownself and feel weird, I would say that that is normal from having a stroke.

God Bless,
Tim

Old 04-18-2011, 03:57 PM   #30
Senior Veteran
(male)

HI Lee,
I just wanted to say that I have read all of you new posts (I think ) And I am glad to read your input. I learn something new every day about stroke survivors.

I didn't know that you are a guitar player? So am I and wrote music and had a studio. I wonder if we should start a "musicians stroke" thread. Because my loss of my music probably killed me more that anything. It is coming back though and everything is good. but I bet there are a lot of musicians that had a stroke and to loss that love is really hard too.

Just I thought. If you think it is good let me know and I will start it, or if you start it then I will know it was a really good idea.

God Bless my friend,
Tim

Closed Thread