It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Stroke Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-18-2011, 03:24 PM   #31
Inactive
(female)

Chloe1252 HB UserChloe1252 HB UserChloe1252 HB UserChloe1252 HB UserChloe1252 HB UserChloe1252 HB UserChloe1252 HB User
Re: Physio after stroke

Quote:
but have trouble writing. It's legible, but painfully slow.
I know what you mean! Those fine motor skills take a long time and much practice to recover. My writing is a mess..illegible scrawl, crossed out words etc. Thank goodness we can do nearly everything online these days! If I had to fill out long forms by hand it wouldn't be pretty. If I have to send a birthday card, it's a major project for me and I feel like I'm in second grade again, having to concentrate so hard on just forming each letter.

All I wanted to be able to do was drive again. The feeling of getting behind the wheel for the first time alone after the stroke had me as excited as when I first got my license so many years ago.

Old 04-18-2011, 03:58 PM   #32
(female)

ennbee HB Userennbee HB Userennbee HB Userennbee HB Userennbee HB Userennbee HB User

Well said. We did try to talk with her about it...nothing changed. Same old same old. It was an emotional relief to finish and "graduate" (haha). Graduate meant something different to me.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-18-2011, 04:01 PM   #33
(female)

ennbee HB Userennbee HB Userennbee HB Userennbee HB Userennbee HB Userennbee HB User

Mine is having trouble in the opposite direction. Nothing interests me and 3 bites and I am full.

Old 04-18-2011, 04:26 PM   #34
(male)

lmorgan79 HB Userlmorgan79 HB Userlmorgan79 HB Userlmorgan79 HB Userlmorgan79 HB Userlmorgan79 HB User

Tim,

I have a question, and a comment for you. After my stroke, I couldn't tap my foot in time with music to save my life. Luckily, that skill returned. It returned spontaneously. One day I couldn't do it at all. The next day, I could do it. I played saxophone (alto and baritone) from the 2nd grade, through high school. Thatinstrument I was good at. The guitar, not so much. I play just for personal entertainment, or to disturb my daughters. If I really want to make them mad, I'll sing too. I figured I'd learn mandolin,too, because it is so small, and I need help with small motor coordination. It only has 4 strings, so it has entirely different chords than a guitar.

Music is a great therapy tool (device?) because it forces you to keep the tempo, or fall behind. It doesn't wait for anyone. Anyway, I'm all for getting a stroke survivors music group going. I never seem to be able to tell where I'll learn something from.

Another hobby of mine is stereo, and vinyl records. I bought my big-rig stereo before I got married (I'd never be able to afford it these days). I also have about 10,000 LP's too. Those get spun on a regular basis. So, I am both a hardware, and software guy. Of all the LPs I own, I have every genre, rock, jazz, blues, country, classical, swing, but no rap.

My other avocation is semi-work related. I spent 20+ years in the telecom industry (I installed the phone systems for Northwestern University, Northwestern Memorial Hospital, and others too). We phone guys used to laugh at the haphazardness of data guys. We were always so persnickety about things. Everything had to be just so. Data guys never were like that. I wondered what would happen if I were to cross-pollinate those skills. As of this writing, I can make a PC jump through a hoop. I can also design web pages, having taught myself HTML, and CSS. I don't do it often enough to be really good at it though. At least I'm trying to keep busy. Ah, well... Dinner's on. More later.

Lee

The Following User Says Thank You to lmorgan79 For This Useful Post:
Positive Cynic (04-18-2011)
Old 04-18-2011, 05:11 PM   #35
(male)

lmorgan79 HB Userlmorgan79 HB Userlmorgan79 HB Userlmorgan79 HB Userlmorgan79 HB Userlmorgan79 HB User

Chloe,

For me, driving has definitely given me a sense of freedom. Nothing did it like getting on the highway for the first time. I did wonder, though, how many people worse off than i were on the road too. I also thought I'd leave a path of dead, and maimed humans in my wake. It never happened. I'll probably jinx myself, but I haven't even been in one accident.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ennbee View Post
Mine is having trouble in the opposite direction. Nothing interests me and 3 bites and I am full.
I am not sure what would make the most sense for you. Maybe try to eat something that you used love, like Oreos, for example. I'd try eating a little more each time, to stretch out the stomach. I spent a few months eating liquid crapola out of a tube, so real food was ingested greedily, even if I didn't have the capacity. My yawning pre-chewed food all over must have been a real treat! Now, my appetite is second to none. My ability to eat is unsurpassed. If it's not moving, I'll eat it.

Lee

Old 04-19-2011, 05:48 AM   #36
(female)

lol goood post. I have tried old favs and new. I will just keep on trying lol. Andrew despairs as dinner approaches. He has a great appetite for anything.Just the sound/look/smell can put me off. I remember well having "thickened food in hospital made with their best leftover wallpaper paste. Then it was A.B.C Diet (already been chewed). haha

my best to everyone today
With every good wish,
Nancy

Old 04-19-2011, 05:53 AM   #37
(male)

Thickened food sucks like new Hoover. I had problems swallowing, so a thickening agent was added. I have no idea what it was (camel snot?), but it made swallowing the actual food more disgusting. I think I'd rather have a coughing fit. Besides, half the food it was added to was thick already.

Old 04-19-2011, 09:27 AM   #38
(female)

camel snot is a great description of it...... awful stufff

Old 04-19-2011, 09:40 AM   #39
(male)

I tried to think of another adjective, but couldn't. It does such a disservice to all camels everywhere.

Old 04-19-2011, 11:03 AM   #40
Senior Veteran
(male)

Positive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB User

LOL I am happy to laugh. that is so funny. I'm glad we have some jokers out here : laughter is the best medicine

Old 04-19-2011, 11:14 AM   #41
(male)

Whenever anybody writes, I try to respond right away, but usually I only at my PC during the day. Don't worry. I am not ignoring anyone. There's just so much reality TV to watch. I especially like the new one, Barfing On The Star's Legs.

Lee

Old 04-19-2011, 11:34 AM   #42
Inactive
(female)

Chloe1252 HB UserChloe1252 HB UserChloe1252 HB UserChloe1252 HB UserChloe1252 HB UserChloe1252 HB UserChloe1252 HB User

Quote:
I especially like the new one, Barfing On The Star's Legs.
Now THAT'S one I just might watch!

Closed Thread