It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Stroke Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-10-2011, 03:47 PM   #1
(female)

ennbee HB Userennbee HB Userennbee HB Userennbee HB Userennbee HB Userennbee HB User
Physio after stroke

I have been disappointed in hospital physio ...all focus is on legs/balance and maybe 5-10 mins per hour on non-functioning left arm. We talked with her about this sevedral weeks ago but nothing has changed. same exercises as hip/knee surgeries. Perhaps I expected too much.

any one else on the same stationery bike?

Old 04-10-2011, 03:53 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

Chloe1252 HB UserChloe1252 HB UserChloe1252 HB UserChloe1252 HB UserChloe1252 HB UserChloe1252 HB UserChloe1252 HB User
Re: Physio after stroke

I just posted to you on the other thread. Here it is:

"..is this a physiotherapist at a hospital?

I ended up going to private physio, because the waiting list at the hosp. and CLSC went according to priority and the wait was going to be too long. I had already learned that therapy really needs to start asap and was getting worried it would be too late.

Private treatment focuses completely on your needs, and they take the time to do it right. Not saying other places do it wrong, just that they are rather overwhelmed and can't always give a patient the undivided and personalized attention they need.

If you haven't tried a private clinic, I would suggest you think about doing that."

Stationary bike is good!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-10-2011, 06:07 PM   #3
(female)

ennbee HB Userennbee HB Userennbee HB Userennbee HB Userennbee HB Userennbee HB User

"Stationary bike is good!" but not for my arm lol.I have read a lot about the importance of physio after a stroke. Mine is a neuro-physio so this stress on walking(which i do well) dampens my trust in her and the physio experience. I read that PT deals with below the waist and OT above. Not sure we could take on private physio at this stage financially.

TY for your response and interest though.

Old 04-11-2011, 12:05 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

Chloe1252 HB UserChloe1252 HB UserChloe1252 HB UserChloe1252 HB UserChloe1252 HB UserChloe1252 HB UserChloe1252 HB User

Don't know what your situation is re: Age, working or not, health care coverage etc. but I got back all the money the physio cost me with this years' tax return.

Old 04-11-2011, 12:57 PM   #5
(female)

stroke age 63 semi-retired, do the books for hub's business etc. I got the disability status from CRA (LAST WEEK) so that will help pay my semi-private while in hospital, extra meds, transport chair etc. the OT keeps suggesting ways to spend $$$$

Old 04-14-2011, 11:51 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Positive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB User

Hi Nancy,
I did find this thread you started. Anyway it sounds like you have a good husband. I am lucky too that my wife has helped me all of the way. I have to admit that it was hard at first, that I was actually a different person. but i think (and hope) she thinks I am better person. You know, she gets frustrared when I have to ask a something 2 or 3 times. But it is kind of cool, that we have a dvr and when we watch a movie, we can stop and rewind, and she asks me, "did you get that? do you understand?" and if I don't she will play it again so I can understand before we go further.

It is like a hard thing we have learned together, it wasn't easy at first, because she had to understand that I didn't understand, but she hung in there.

Now watching a movie is ok. She knows I may have to here something 2 or 3 times before we go on. so my point is that your hubby understands your frustration and that is so special that he wants to help and helps you to recover.

God Bless,
Tim

Last edited by Positive Cynic; 04-14-2011 at 11:54 AM.

The Following User Says Thank You to Positive Cynic For This Useful Post:
ennbee (04-14-2011)
Old 04-14-2011, 04:08 PM   #7
(female)

I am glad your wife is so "there" for you. my hub is my life saver. he is like calm in the midst of a storm.

a WEIRD thing with me..water running in the shower or rain on the windows makes me want to cry. I don't but feel close to it.

thank you for sharing.
Blessings,
Nancy

Old 04-15-2011, 04:59 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

Positive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB User

Hi Nancy,
That is very interesting that falling water makes you want to cry. After my stroke, I cried everyday for over 6 months I think. My wife was worried about me, and thought I was upset, but I had to tell her, don't worry... I just feel like crying and I can't help it.

So when you say water makes you weepy, may sound silly, but I totally understand. did you know that when I saw anybody walking there dog would make me cry. I think it is just another weird thing that happens after a stroke. though my crying finally stopped. It wasn't a bad thing at all, just something that happened. so if water makes you want to cry, then cry. I feel like my stroke recovery helped my to just cry and not to hold it inside.

We all have to admit that our lives where turned upside down in an instant. So emotions should be very normal I think. It is like you have to start new in your life and not from you own decision... just life.
Well I hope you are having a good day today. Please write anytime you need to. There is always someone listening.
God Bless,
Tim

ennbee (04-15-2011)
Old 04-15-2011, 07:13 AM   #9
(female)

ty tIM:

I will try to let it out without upsetting my family. Last week my helper did not show up and andrew was out of town on business so I did my shower and dressing on my own. Even after a 97 point turn I couldn't get my chair out thebathroom door. Then I got totally frustrated getting dressed. Those are the situations he helps me avoid. He does not take over... justoffers as much or little help as I want.Much like your wife watching movies with you. *sigh* it used to be so easy !

You aid it was hard at first....does it get easier? or do we just toughen up?

Blessings,
Nancy

The following user gives a hug of support to ennbee:
coupe (04-16-2011)
Old 04-15-2011, 08:50 AM   #10
Inactive
(female)

Nancy, your stroke was pretty recent. I know how hard it is to have to struggle and practice to do things we did without even thinking about it for all our lives. It's frustrating and upsetting. We wonder if we'll ever feel like our old selves again!

When it seems like we're getting nowhere, it's good to look back and see just how far we've come from Day 1.

I felt frustrated and even panicky when I was falling, banging into walls, dropping things, couldn't drive and was light headed and exhausted all the time. I wondered what the heck I was going to do. But I had to keep trying since I'm alone. The terror of losing my independance gave me a lot of motivation to work very hard, both at physio and at home, to recover.

You'll see progress, even if it's slow. Just don't give in to frustration, although I know very well it's easier said than done.

Old 04-15-2011, 09:59 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(male)

Hi Nancy,
I wanted to respond to your question about it was hard at first. I guess to clarify - what I mean that it was hard at first should really say - it was an adjustment for the whole family and I will admit was very awkward at first. Because I just didn't know what to do with myself and I did so much around the house that my wife had to understand that I just could not do those things i used to do. But it all comes back to you. It is very, very slow and patience is so important.

I agree with Chloe that if you look where you were right after the stroke to where you are now there is improvement. I can give you a perfect example. When I was in the hospital I could not even remember my wife's name "Anita". And when I got home I could not read and forget about turning on the computer. I really thought my life was over, but I was wrong - my life was just starting again, and the human spirit is really an amazing thing. I have read story after story after story about the obstacles we have to survive, but we all do survive, some how and are always better from it.

I sure would have never said that right after my stroke, but time heals everything, even strokes

I also have met so many wonderful people here that I would have never talked to unless I had my stroke. So I will close for now before I make myself cry again ha ha! It still pops up once in awhile.

Take good care of yourself,
Tim

ennbee (04-15-2011)
Old 04-15-2011, 11:18 AM   #12
(female)

thank you again Tim...especially for the clarification. I seem to be as weak as a kitten. Just visiting the loo feels like an Olympic event. Glad to know that these things will become easier. Yes I am much more ambulatory than in Dec.
Sometimes I just need to summon up the courage to try. That adds to the effort of the task.
oh well, time will tell.
Fondly,
Nancy

Old 04-15-2011, 02:49 PM   #13
(female)

Alberta1967 HB UserAlberta1967 HB UserAlberta1967 HB UserAlberta1967 HB UserAlberta1967 HB UserAlberta1967 HB UserAlberta1967 HB UserAlberta1967 HB UserAlberta1967 HB User

See my problem was & still is, I can not cry. I really wish I could.It has been 6 1/2 years from my strokes & still I can't. Alot of people think I am a hard case, have no feelings, don't care about them. I am waiting on the dam to bust. Alberta

Old 04-15-2011, 04:19 PM   #14
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User

Hello friends, and Nancy of course...

To the crying...I can still not read the newspaper without crying. I distinctly remember one crying jag that was really worrying my family..I had read that the president got to sleep in!

I often laugh at myself crying, it makes no sense at all. When ever I have a chance to laugh, I take it.

For Alberta...I somehow feel sad for your inability to cry in all this time. There is so much loss. I really am happy to see you here.

Nancy, it will get better..I promise. It is so hard to believe for you now, we were all at your stage of recovery and felt the same way. I am thrilled that you are here with us where you belong, as you experience your journey. It took my four years to make it here. I truly wish I could have been here sooner. I learned everything I know here.

until later,
janet

The Following User Says Thank You to writeleft For This Useful Post:
Alberta1967 (04-16-2011)
Old 04-16-2011, 05:48 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(male)

Hi Alberta,
It is great to hear from you again. I am sorry that your stroke seems to made you not able to cry. I wish you could because there is some healing in crying, at least it was for me. I sure don't think you are a "hard case" at all.

As I thought about you this thing kind of hit me. The first thing my doctor said in the hospital that a stroke is a mystery and every stroke is different, that is why it is so hard to "treat". Everything else I learned about strokes was by trial and error and talking to survivors here. So what I want to say is that our brains are so complex and I did learn that a stroke kills whatever part of your brain it hits. So it is possible there is a "crying" or emotional place in your brain that was affected. I have no evidence of that, just kind of wondering if that could be possible? I know that I became a different person after my stroke and not for any decision by me. The how thing is very confusing at times and we have to find out things on our own, so to speak. Whatever it is though, I want you to know that you have friends here that care and understand whatever you may be going through.

It is just a thought. I believe you will be able to cry again if you need to.
Thank you for sharing that with us. We all still keep on learning everyday.
God Bless,
Tim

Last edited by Positive Cynic; 04-16-2011 at 06:00 AM.

Alberta1967 (04-16-2011)
Closed Thread