It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Stroke Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-17-2011, 05:49 PM   #1
(female)

PrGuerra HB User
Dad just hads stroke

Dad had a hemmorhagic stroke in his left temporal lobe one month ago. No cause has yet been determined but he is a diabetic. He is home and his doctors say he is about 80 percent recovered. However I notice that he is regressing a bit. For example his right hand usage is limited in his grip and writing but he was able to do so ... But today I noticed he can't do anything a week ago. Is this normal? Or indicative of another stroke? Or will he recover more fully?

Old 04-18-2011, 06:40 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

Chloe1252 HB UserChloe1252 HB UserChloe1252 HB UserChloe1252 HB UserChloe1252 HB UserChloe1252 HB UserChloe1252 HB User
Re: Dad just hads stroke

Hi and welcome! Sorry about your dad.

Without therapy, your dad might not progress quickly but I'm pretty sure he shouldn't lose any abilities he had when he came home. I suggest a call to his doctor asap. Another stroke is a possiblity and he definitely needs to be checked out.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-18-2011, 12:29 PM   #3
(female)

ennbee HB Userennbee HB Userennbee HB Userennbee HB Userennbee HB Userennbee HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chloe1252 View Post
Hi and welcome! Sorry about your dad.

Without therapy, your dad might not progress quickly but I'm pretty sure he shouldn't lose any abilities he had when he came home. I suggest a call to his doctor asap. Another stroke is a possiblity and he definitely needs to be checked out.
good suggestion Chloe especially if what is lost is all on the same side.

Old 05-01-2011, 07:58 AM   #4
(male)

lmorgan79 HB Userlmorgan79 HB Userlmorgan79 HB Userlmorgan79 HB Userlmorgan79 HB Userlmorgan79 HB User

I want to reinforce the point that skills that are learned after a stroke don't usually go away. Progression in learning new skills will slow down unless there is therapy (especially soon after a stroke). If there is real regression, I would look for another cause. If that is the case, by all means, see a doctor. The last thing you need right now is another stroke. At the very least, you will have two problems, instead of one. You don't need anything masking the progress that is made.

Old 06-11-2011, 08:45 AM   #5
(male)

dunwack HB Userdunwack HB User
Red face Re: Dad just hads stroke

my dad died aged 67yrs from a stroke, my mum died aged 72 from a stroke and my elder sister died aged 66 as a result of a stroke. i had a sister die from cancer. myself i had a stroke nearly 4yrs ago at the age of 62 and my younger brother suffered a stroke 2yrs ago at the age of 61. he is alive and living in a care home, i am the lucky one, my wife of almost 45yrs is my full time carer. my stroke left me paralised down my left side, i spent 9mths in 4 differant hospitals recovering fortunally for me living in the uk all my hospital bills and medicans are free. i spent two 3day periods in the royal london hospital having surgery on both of my neck arteries to clear the blockages which they believe was the cause of my stroke i cannot straighten my arm or open my hand, i have no feeling or strenght in my leg because i no longer drive, i have traded in my transit van for what i call my prat mobile meaning my mobility scooter.overnight i went from an enerjetic builder/decorator to what i am today.my worry now is about my son and daughter and two grandsons if i have passed sickness on to them. i am not a religious man, i dont believe in heaven or hell, god or the devil nor the hearafter i was born and lived in dublin ireland for the first 16 yrs of my life and i had enough relegion pumped down my throath to last me a lifetime. i attended a r/c school for boy only, in a classroom of 52 pupils taught by so called christain brothers the same evil sons of ******* that abused and inflicted pain on the boys they were meant to teach. life can be so cruel. i think i have winged enough for now. regards dunwack.

Old 06-11-2011, 03:00 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User

I agree with Chloe as well. Get him checked out sooner rather than later. Please let us know what you have found, as we are very interested in helping you. We have a wonderful group here with lots of experience living following stroke, and we are here to help you through this difficult time.

Closed Thread