It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Stroke Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2011, 07:34 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

Positive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB User
Music After A Stroke

Lee,
I know you asked a question about music. I think you said that you could not tap your foot in rhythm after your stroke. and wondered if any had a similar situtation. I can tell you what happened to me.

Right after my stroke I had to stop listening to music because every song sounded the same. I mean every song and I tried to listen to some of my favorite cd's and could not hear anything. it just sounded like mush. It was so frustrating. And I know you are a musician and I play guitar and learned by ear. So listening to me listening to music was almost like analyizing it. "that goes from A minor to F and then to G" it was just automatic when I listened and I was probably the most music lover in the world.

And after my stroke and couldn't hear music any more got me so depressed. I felt like the 110 year old geezer next door..... "TURN THAT STUFF OFF!!!! YOU WHIPPER SNAPPER" - (whatever a whipper snapper is )

But seriously it was distressing. And then............ I was afraid of my guitar. I honestly was afraid to pick it up again, thinking that I lost my guitar and that was too much to bare. So it got dust for a long time. I finally got my courage to pick it up. I could not remember any songs, but I was suprised that I still could remember a couple chords and my fingers went where they were supposed to go. and that is when I felt really good and thought "I can do this again, I just have to re-learn it," It was exactly with my computer and typing. I just had to re-learn that too.

So I am happy to say that I have learned and can play again about 5 or 6 songs (from about 100 I used to know) but I will take that and be grateful.

OK, this is very ironic. The first song I worked up again was elenor rigby by the beatles. That song has only about 4 or 5 chords that I could play with and figure out again. And when I working on that, it hit me that the chorus is "all the lonely people, where do they all come from." and it gave me chills. I thought "did they write this about strokes?" It was just weird.

But my point is that all of our fears and anxiety get less and less, but you have to hang in there. and never give on hope. Hope is always there, but sometimes we have to look around and find her.

btw my wife's name is Anita, not Hope, but that is the same thing to me.
Here I go again with this going to nowhere post stream of consciousness and blah blah blah. But I will continue to blah blah for a long time here I'm sure.
God Bless,
Tim

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Positive Cynic For This Useful Post:
coupe (04-25-2011), writeleft (04-25-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-23-2011, 08:52 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

Chloe1252 HB UserChloe1252 HB UserChloe1252 HB UserChloe1252 HB UserChloe1252 HB UserChloe1252 HB UserChloe1252 HB User
Re: Music After A Stroke

I don't have a problem listening to music, although much of it now makes me weepy for some reason.

I have trouble watching movies and usually end up wandering off halfway through or even just before the end. I can't seem to concentrate unless it's something that really grips me.

I envy you being able to play an instrument. I always dreamed of playing the piano.

Old 04-24-2011, 01:55 AM   #3
(female)

sue984 HB Usersue984 HB User
Smile Re: Music After A Stroke

I love music! With me I have to use my left hand now to tap along to a song. I still have use of my right arm, but it's only about 50% and doesn't work well.

Sue

Old 04-24-2011, 02:29 PM   #4
(male)

lmorgan79 HB Userlmorgan79 HB Userlmorgan79 HB Userlmorgan79 HB Userlmorgan79 HB Userlmorgan79 HB User

You know what I lost the ability to do? Remember a good picking pattern. Chords are hard enough, quick tempo strumming is next to impossible, and picking is impossible. I'll keep trying though.

After my stroke, I was afraid to take my guitar out of the case for fear of scratching it. I bought in 1989, and it is still in perfect shape. Stupid fear, or irrational, I know. But... Now, I take out every week, at the very least, just to see how I'm doing. I'll usually start out with mandolin. It is so much smaller, and requires great dexterity. It also has different number of strings than a guitar, so all the chords are different, too. When I get really frustrated, I'll switch to guitar.

I have an Alvarez-Yairi guitar and a Fender Mandolin. I have no connection with either company.

Old 04-24-2011, 03:50 PM   #5
(male)

lmorgan79 HB Userlmorgan79 HB Userlmorgan79 HB Userlmorgan79 HB Userlmorgan79 HB Userlmorgan79 HB User

I say, if you want to play the piano, and you're still breathing, go for it! It's not too late.

Perhaps, since piano makes you use both hands, read music in two clefs simultaneously, etc., that it's better for the stroke patient. Instruments like the flute, or clarinet only are in one clef, therefore, the player's brain doesn't have to work as hard. I don't know, but it sounds logical to me.

Old 04-25-2011, 11:24 AM   #6
(male)

coupe HB Usercoupe HB Usercoupe HB Usercoupe HB Usercoupe HB Usercoupe HB Usercoupe HB Usercoupe HB Usercoupe HB Usercoupe HB Usercoupe HB User

hi Tim& Lee, thank you for the memories. I also played guitar for many years, had a rock n' roll band in highschool back in the 60's we rented firehalls every Fryday abd Saturday nights to hold dances. it broke my heart after my stroke, can no longer play. back then, most of the rock songs only used 3 chords, slow songs threw in that extra minor chord. until Roy Orbenson did Pretty Woman, he threw in that F# the Turtles came out with "Happy Together" and used all those minor chords, then of course the song Devel With the Blue Dress" change keys completely from A to C in the middle of the song as did the other song that group did can't remember the group name? I still have my old Harmony triple pickup 6100 series slim body hollow electric guitar I bought in 1964 in original case stuffed back in a closet upstairs. collecting dust, though in the case? I did use it to teach my grandson the basics of chords and theology he now plays in his church youth group band. like Tim, I could never read a note of music, strictly by ear. my two hardest songs to learn I think were Steppenwolf's "Magic Carpet Ride" and Lynnard Skynnard's "freebird"! and "the Roling Stones intro to ***** Tank Woman" took me about 2 weeks to master the intro. those were the days! I'll remember the most, along with the day of the news report our drummer was killed in "nam" we had lots of fun every weekend, and made enough money to buy my first brand new car a 1966 Chevelle in 1966! we did make one record called "rawhide 65 in 1965 an instrumental, I think we sold only about 1500 copies? most everyone in school! I still have the original recording. also have a few sets of Mike's drum sticks, along with a box full of our sets song lists and other memorbilia. no amount of money can buy! Mike's old drums are pobably still store in the attic of his parent's old home? I'd pay $25,000 for them if they are there? his parents have died now and I doubt the house new owners even know or realize what they'd mean to someone like me! they most likely tossed them? he had them hooked up to light sensor swithces, the put on a nice light show to the beat of every song.MAN I MISS THOSE DAYS! even today some of those songs on the radio brings tears to my eyes!

anyway, thank you for this thread! I needed it more yesterday than any day of my life! I woke up yesterday "Easter morning" not caring if I lived or died! this meant SO MUCH TO ME THANK YOU!

good luck and god bless I love you all

Larry/coupe

The following user gives a hug of support to coupe:
writeleft (04-25-2011)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to coupe For This Useful Post:
goingtorun (04-25-2011), Positive Cynic (04-25-2011)
Old 04-25-2011, 12:50 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User

What a great post! My post stroke experience came when I came out of the hospital and could not go home alone with my then 9 year old son. I moved into Chad's place, where he and his roommates both took care of us, and played music. The studio was on the other side of the wall where I slept, and no matter the loud music of their band, I slept like a baby. In fact it was most comforting, knowing I was not alone. My vague memories of that time are sweet. I have always loved and had a great connection with musicians, and although I do not play, live music is a wonderful art form to me. The language of music, and the ability of folks getting together and playing is practically magical to me.

These days I don't listen to as much music as I would like, but it leaves me in tears as well. Practically blubbering at the good ones. Knowing that I am in the midst of musicians makes me feel even more at home here.

I have really been questioning my writing lately, but this post is so sweet...to hear your love of the instruments and the music gives me a huge lift.

That band was lost when we lost our dear friend, and musical genius Bruce. He died last year. He was the one who always made me lunch, with a little folded napkin and took care of me when Chad worked. Although in looks he was one crazy looking red headed Norseman, he was so dear to me. He wrote songs for me, one which I found months after he passed. I really miss him.

Love to all, Janet

ps Coupe, how fun would it be to hear your old band!

Last edited by writeleft; 04-25-2011 at 12:51 PM.

Old 04-25-2011, 02:41 PM   #8
(male)

Larry,

When you wrote about your drummer dying in Viet Nam, it made me remember (and it wasn't too hard either) of Tom King, of The Outsiders, who just died. He wrote "Time Won't Let Me", and others.

I was never good enough on guitar to be in a band. Actually, I stunk. I was good enough to be in a band when I played the sax. That severely limited the songs I actually played on, though. I was restricted to anything by Grover Washington, Supertramp, Chicago, and a few others. Other than that though...

Now that I managed to smash my finger in a car door, I have another excuse for not playing at the moment. I think I'll wait until it's much less painful.

Janet - try listening to a completely different genre of music than you used to. You might be able to enjoy it without it overwhelming you. If you're like Larry, and like rock, try bluegrass (Allison Krauss), or classical. Me, I like everything but rap. It's just not music. I don't care what anybody says. Don't get me started...

Anyway, music is too good a thing to give up. So, keep on trying it. It'll work out for you.

Lee

Old 04-25-2011, 03:56 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

Positive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by coupe View Post
hi Tim& Lee, thank you for the memories. I also played guitar for many years, had a rock n' roll band in highschool back in the 60's we rented firehalls every Fryday abd Saturday nights to hold dances. it broke my heart after my stroke, can no longer play. back then, most of the rock songs only used 3 chords, slow songs threw in that extra minor chord. until Roy Orbenson did Pretty Woman, he threw in that F# the Turtles came out with "Happy Together" and used all those minor chords, then of course the song Devel With the Blue Dress" change keys completely from A to C in the middle of the song as did the other song that group did can't remember the group name? I still have my old Harmony triple pickup 6100 series slim body hollow electric guitar I bought in 1964 in original case stuffed back in a closet upstairs. collecting dust, though in the case? I did use it to teach my grandson the basics of chords and theology he now plays in his church youth group band. like Tim, I could never read a note of music, strictly by ear. my two hardest songs to learn I think were Steppenwolf's "Magic Carpet Ride" and Lynnard Skynnard's "freebird"! and "the Roling Stones intro to ***** Tank Woman" took me about 2 weeks to master the intro. those were the days! I'll remember the most, along with the day of the news report our drummer was killed in "nam" we had lots of fun every weekend, and made enough money to buy my first brand new car a 1966 Chevelle in 1966! we did make one record called "rawhide 65 in 1965 an instrumental, I think we sold only about 1500 copies? most everyone in school! I still have the original recording. also have a few sets of Mike's drum sticks, along with a box full of our sets song lists and other memorbilia. no amount of money can buy! Mike's old drums are pobably still store in the attic of his parent's old home? I'd pay $25,000 for them if they are there? his parents have died now and I doubt the house new owners even know or realize what they'd mean to someone like me! they most likely tossed them? he had them hooked up to light sensor swithces, the put on a nice light show to the beat of every song.MAN I MISS THOSE DAYS! even today some of those songs on the radio brings tears to my eyes!

anyway, thank you for this thread! I needed it more yesterday than any day of my life! I woke up yesterday "Easter morning" not caring if I lived or died! this meant SO MUCH TO ME THANK YOU!

good luck and god bless I love you all

Larry/coupe
coupe,
i want to thank you for sharing things that are very close to you. I didn't you you played also and I related to everything you wrote. I don't know where to begin. I guess the weirdest thing is that my first car was a Chevelle - 1969. I wish I still had that thing. I also know the exact guitar you are you have... the harmony 3 pickup hollow body. (was yours green burst?) That is just how I remember it, though I think they had a red burst also.

That is so cool that you make a record. In those days, it sure wasn't easy. I know your band pulled all of your money to make the record. hey, buddy, 1500's sold is pretty darn good. It is cool you still have a copy.

Yes I did the same scene for years. I like your old drummer Mike (God Bless him) that had lights hooked up to his drums.... that is so funny... the lengths we all used to go "for the show" We used to use 5 pound coffee cans and paint them black and wire a colored light and in the back. I am sure it was not very safe, especially with no electric ground. (dah) but is was for the show -- ha ha I don't know how we never got hurt back then. I remember I got a new Ampeg V4 amp and was plugging it up and it had a ground on the plugs the bar had now where to plug.... and the bass player said, "don't worry" and he got some pliers out and pulled the ground out of the plug... I was going crazy "what are you doing?" and he told me not to worry about it. Of course at the time I was 17 and he was 23 - so it made sense to me - he was "older" - he knows what he was doing and I went along.
young ignorance is really funny.

Anyway I hope we can keep this thread going because just the reminisces are making me going today. we has too much other things to do everyday. with all the other stuff we have to do everyday. But for sure to remember your youth can sure keep you going at least for a few mimunts. I love to smile and those moments help and help life go awhile for awhile. We all need that for sure. And the most important thing of all is that you felt better today, coupe. One more day to keep going on and that is why we are all here.
God Bless,
tim

Old 04-25-2011, 04:13 PM   #10
(male)

That's incredible. My first car was a '69 Chevy Malibu! Even though it only had a straight 6, it really hauled. The hard part was getting that thing started. A new rotor, plugs, and wires really helped. That was back when you could actually work on a car, because there were no computer chips. These days, forget about it.

Back to music for a second...I always lusted after an electric guitar. I was so caught up in which one to buy (Gretsch, Les Paul, SG, Tele?) that I never actually bought one. I struggled along on my Epiphone acoustic, which was extremely hard to play.

In college, I walked into my first dorm room, to find out that my room mate had a Telecaster. I immediately snatched that up, and started playing away. Nothing sounded very good, so I looked more closely at what I was doing. That's when I discovered that the guitar was strung for a left-hander! This whole time, I thought it was me. It probably would have sounded worse if it was strung for a righty.

Lee

The Following User Says Thank You to lmorgan79 For This Useful Post:
Positive Cynic (04-25-2011)
Old 04-25-2011, 06:20 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmorgan79 View Post
That's incredible. My first car was a '69 Chevy Malibu! Even though it only had a straight 6, it really hauled. The hard part was getting that thing started. A new rotor, plugs, and wires really helped. That was back when you could actually work on a car, because there were no computer chips. These days, forget about it.

Back to music for a second...I always lusted after an electric guitar. I was so caught up in which one to buy (Gretsch, Les Paul, SG, Tele?) that I never actually bought one. I struggled along on my Epiphone acoustic, which was extremely hard to play.

In college, I walked into my first dorm room, to find out that my room mate had a Telecaster. I immediately snatched that up, and started playing away. Nothing sounded very good, so I looked more closely at what I was doing. That's when I discovered that the guitar was strung for a left-hander! This whole time, I thought it was me. It probably would have sounded worse if it was strung for a righty.

Lee
Lee,
Was your Malibu red? Straight 6? cool mine was Red V8 and is a stupid thing for a 17 year old boy to drive. remember when cars had an axle? going to the back tires? Well, I broke that axle peeling out all of the time. The old man wasn't happy for sure.

And I love how they used make those. Any kid could work on it. I always changed my own oil, could fix a belt or a battery or even a water hose. It was just like an engine. so awesome. Here's how stupid I was.

I took out the origianly muffler and bought some crappy muffler that made it louder. and me and 2 buddies worked all night on that thing. ha ha

at least it was louder after that.... ha ha it didn't do anyting but make it louder, but we made it. and then crews Main Street. No kidding there was a Main Street where I lived and people would "cruise" there cars. but it was so different then. There is nothing like that anymore. It was safe then to do that back then. I guess I am an old fart after all. But what really stinks is you can't let your own kids out of you house without worrying what will happen. That just isn't right in my thought...

btw. i still have my 1974 Les Paul. Black, custom with gold machine heads. but I beat her so bad, she isn't the same. I can still smell bars and smoke and years of smoke when I take her out, still. I don't know if I love it or hate it. I can't play it anymore because it is so heavy. I think that is why my that is why I have back problems. ha ha
I have heard that smell is our sense that makes your memory more that any thing. And I sure think that is correct.
God Bless,
Tim

Last edited by Positive Cynic; 04-25-2011 at 06:35 PM.

Old 04-25-2011, 07:51 PM   #12
(male)

coupe HB Usercoupe HB Usercoupe HB Usercoupe HB Usercoupe HB Usercoupe HB Usercoupe HB Usercoupe HB Usercoupe HB Usercoupe HB Usercoupe HB User

"Posted by lmorgan79
That's incredible. My first car was a '69 Chevy Malibu! Even though it only had a straight 6, it really hauled. The hard part was getting that thing started. A new rotor, plugs, and wires really helped. That was back when you could actually work on a car, because there were no computer chips. These days, forget about it."
my first new car was a 1966 Chevy Chevelle Malibu Super Sport 396 cubic inch 375 horse power, with a 456 positraction rear. Midnight blue, I was proud of that car and waxed it every week. was the fastest car I ever bought straight from the factory, from a dead stop, dumping the clutch at 5500 RPM's It would jump a case of beer setting in front of the front wheels. and I never babied it, I drove it off the dealer's lot 115 MPH all the way home about 30 miles. no break in at all! we used to cruise main street every Friday and Saturday night looking for girls and drag racing, I never lost. but 4 Friday nights in a row I tore the 4 speed transmission out of it. the first time I ripped it out it welded all 4 gears to the main shaft including the cluster gear! I had to drive it home about 35 miles it 1st gear! it got to the point I carried spare transmission parts in the trunk. I could break the transmission out in one race, I'd pull into a McDonalds parking lot under a street light, crawl under the care, pull the transmission, tear it apart/rebuild it and be racing again in an hour. in the dark! I've had at least 1 of every Chevelle malibu super sport they built from 1964-1970. I used to build race cars as a hobby, in fact when my stepson was 15 I started building him his first car. I took a 1973 Chevy Vega, gutted it to the point of removing the carpet and scraping the tar from the floor boards to reduce the weight, dropped in a bored/stroked, balanced and blueprinted 400 small block motor, pushing about 600 horse power, with a bone crusher 4 speed transmission and a 10 bolt 51 inch Ford 411 rear end. that thing would fly, if you could hold it on the road? had to weld the motor to the frame as every time you floored the gas the motor mounts broke. even after that you still couldn't rev the motor to 5000 and dump the clutch cause the windshield would crack corner to corner from the drivers side to the passenger side. frame ties finally corrected that.

I've always loved drag racing 1/4 mile, in fact I'm still part owner in 3 race cars, a 1967 RS Camaro Alcohol burning that run 10.2's 1/4 mile a red 1967 Chevy Nova SS that runs 10.5's, and a blue 1966 Chevy Nova running 9.8's 1/4 miles and racing season is about to begin. it''l be a good summer the red Nova won the nationals t Maple grove speedway year before last. my nephew drives it. his brother drives the Camaro.

anyway this is a stroke board not a cars board! so

good luck and god bless

Larry/coupe

The Following User Says Thank You to coupe For This Useful Post:
goingtorun (04-26-2011)
Old 04-26-2011, 02:35 AM   #13
Veteran
(male)

goingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB User

g'day coupe, THANKS.
I've been into drag racing longer than I can remember, I was pleased to read about your parking lot repairs. IT brought back aheap of memories.
For a minute I was 18 years old again, I could go on talking for hours.
THANKS again,

ps theres nothing like 1/4 mile racing...
george

The Following User Says Thank You to goingtorun For This Useful Post:
Positive Cynic (04-26-2011)
Old 04-26-2011, 06:24 AM   #14
(male)

I lusted after an SS. I made do with the straight 6. I drove a 442 convertible once (my aunt's) but the fastest car I ever drove was a '69 GTO Judge. That was a rocket. It also had a Hearst 6-speed, a foot-shaped gas pedal, a set of glass-pack mufflers, and a tach that peeked through the hood. The owner totalled that car, and I saw it in a body shop lot, in two pieces, a month after driving it.

Anyway, the Les Paul Custom was, by far, the heaviest guitar I ever played. I think they were made out of brick, or something. It was even heavier than the Rickenbacker bass my friend owned. I always liked those hollow-bodies that Gretsch, and Yamaha made. I could never afford one though. Maybe I'll get one in my old-age.

Old 04-26-2011, 07:37 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(male)

hey george,
we really love those memories.... I can just see janet and clhoe and sue just rolling there eyes. "those boys" ha ha... but that is what the world goes around.

I hope you got a smile... that is very important after a stroke and at first it doesn't seem like you can smile again. but you do... this is fun... it think you can talk about your youth. that is really like therapy. you can write about what you were like as a "stupid" teenager.. those are the best... for some reason there is healing in doing that.
a stroke and I didn't even realize myself... so fire away buddy.
god bless.
tim

Last edited by Positive Cynic; 04-26-2011 at 07:39 PM.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Positive Cynic For This Useful Post:
goingtorun (04-27-2011)
Closed Thread