It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Stroke Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-27-2011, 02:29 PM   #1
(male)

chrisuletz HB User
Deep sleep after stroke

Hi, my father (64yo) had a stroke about 10 days ago. After 3 days he fell into a deep sleep. A week later he still didn't wake up. He's moving (more like spasms), but I'm not sure how voluntary that is. I speak to him, but no idea if he can hear anything. Hard for me since he's in Europe and I live in US (I actually came to Europe, but leaving on Friday). The ICU doctor told me that he'll probably wake up and the issue will be the quality of life. That made me more optimistic, but today the neurology doctor said the diagnostic is "reserved" and there's little hope he'll wake up. The stroke was caused by some thrombos (??) in the cortical area, near the thalamus.... They don't know yet how extended that is.
Should I keep any hope that he'll wake up? Does speaking to him help in anyway? It will be so much harder as I have to go back home in 2 days...
Thanks!!!
Chris

Old 04-27-2011, 02:48 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Positive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB User
Re: Deep sleep after stroke

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisuletz View Post
Hi, my father (64yo) had a stroke about 10 days ago. After 3 days he fell into a deep sleep. A week later he still didn't wake up. He's moving (more like spasms), but I'm not sure how voluntary that is. I speak to him, but no idea if he can hear anything. Hard for me since he's in Europe and I live in US (I actually came to Europe, but leaving on Friday). The ICU doctor told me that he'll probably wake up and the issue will be the quality of life. That made me more optimistic, but today the neurology doctor said the diagnostic is "reserved" and there's little hope he'll wake up. The stroke was caused by some thrombos (??) in the cortical area, near the thalamus.... They don't know yet how extended that is.
Should I keep any hope that he'll wake up? Does speaking to him help in anyway? It will be so much harder as I have to go back home in 2 days...
Thanks!!!
Chris
Hello Chris,
There is always hope my friend. There are people on this forum that had a coma and came out of it and live there lives again. He is 64 and that is not too old for him to come out of this. I don't know how severe his stroke is, but anything is possible. I would talk to him. Even if you don't think he hears you, I promise he does. If he doesn't respond, I know that he hears you, no matter what any doctor tells you.... So talk to him if you can and he may come out of it, but don't take the whole weight on this problem yourself. You can only do what you can do.

There is always hope. So you hang in there Chris and please stay in touch. There are a lot of people that care here.
God Bless,
Tim

Last edited by Positive Cynic; 04-27-2011 at 02:51 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-27-2011, 03:02 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

Chloe1252 HB UserChloe1252 HB UserChloe1252 HB UserChloe1252 HB UserChloe1252 HB UserChloe1252 HB UserChloe1252 HB User

As my mother always said, "Where there's life, there's hope".

Doctors don't like to to get people's hopes up when the prognosis is grim, but the brain is so little understood that anything is possible. There's just no way of knowing exactly what will happen with a brain trauma.

Hope for the best, but be prepared for the worst. In the meantime, talk cheerfully to your father as though he can hear and understand you, since there's also no way of knowing what a person in his conditions hears or perceives.

Old 04-28-2011, 02:28 PM   #4
(male)

chrisuletz HB User

Thank you for your answer. I found it weird that I thought all along that he's in a coma, and was just told by the doctor that it's not a coma, just a deep sleep, and he can't wake up from it.
Today they did a CT scan, and the doctor seemed a bit surprised (in a good way) that it didn't get any worse than a week ago when he fell in this state. They were expecting it to have expanded, but I think for now it's good that it's stable.

Old 04-28-2011, 06:41 PM   #5
(female)

Alberta1967 HB UserAlberta1967 HB UserAlberta1967 HB UserAlberta1967 HB UserAlberta1967 HB UserAlberta1967 HB UserAlberta1967 HB UserAlberta1967 HB UserAlberta1967 HB User

I think that was what I was in. My Dad said coma, everyone else said I was just asleep. I don't know. All I know is I don't remember any of it. And it's been 6 1/2 years. I would love to know what was going on then, but I guess the good Lord doesn't want me to know. So I will leave it at that. I was in the deep sleep for 24 days. I will be praying for your father. And yes keep your hope alive. Alberta

Closed Thread