It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Stroke Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-01-2011, 01:47 PM   #1
(female)

Cirquel HB User
Question about Stroke Symptoms

Hi everyone,

I will probably make a longer post than need be, but would really like answer to one question which I will bold at the bottom of this post.

About an hour and a half ago, my grandfather collapsed (onto his bottom) on the way down a step to his living room (I live with him and my grandmother and my parents). After maybe 30 minutes of deliberation and all of us sitting with him, I decided to call Telehealth Ontario. I've never called 911 before and was hesitant to call if it wasn't "too major." My grandfather really didn't want to go, either--but that's not unusual.

Both of my grandparents have collapsed before, but only out of temporary weakness. They both have heart problems now. My grandfather has fairly recently started taking medication for high blood pressure. This seemed to be a very unusual case for my grandfather, however, as he could not stand up when my father lifted him up and helped him sit down on his chair. He also seemed to be "not quite with it," in such a way as it seemed to me it wasn't usual "old man slowness." I knew that this was definitely a better safe than sorry situation. I called Telehealth; my mom ended up talking to the nurse for a time and we were then transferred to 911.

Paramedics came and took him to the hospital. It's been about half an hour since. My dad headed out there now, as well, to bring my grandfather's clothes (he ended up having a bowel movement, so we ended up cleaning him up).

What caused initial confusion was my grandfather's relative level of incoherence. He wasn't actually THAT bad. He would answer correctly, if asked questions. He would sometimes be slow to answer, and sometimes not at all; I was trying, for the first little while, to figure out whether he wasn't answering out of defiance. He was also nauseous and vomited twice, so I thought he might not have been answering because he was feeling so yucky that he was sick of answering my family's questions. But what was unusual was that normally, if he doesn't answer, he at least indicates that he's "fed up" with you asking questions. Instead, he was responding by just... not responding at all. He seemed a bit spaced, which was what led to my call.

But what I'd really like to know is the following: For the whole hour since his initial collapse, my grandfather literally could not stand up. He also couldn't lift his arms all the way to his head; was generally EXTREMELY weak. Is this a symptom of stroke? If not, what could it be a symptom of? I know that temporary weakness / loss of strength is definitely a symptom of stroke, but what about continued weakness?

Last edited by Cirquel; 05-01-2011 at 01:49 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-02-2011, 01:47 AM   #2
(female)

sue984 HB Usersue984 HB User
Arrow Re: Question about Stroke Symptoms

From everything you described, I think you were correct in calling 911. Your grandfather being unable to stand, and "not right" must have been scary for you.
What happened at the emergency room??

Sue

Old 05-02-2011, 08:15 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

Chloe1252 HB UserChloe1252 HB UserChloe1252 HB UserChloe1252 HB UserChloe1252 HB UserChloe1252 HB UserChloe1252 HB User
Re: Question about Stroke Symptoms

Quote:
I know that temporary weakness / loss of strength is definitely a symptom of stroke, but what about continued weakness?
That depends on the magnitude and area of the stroke. It can be anything from a brief weakness and numbness (usually on one side only) to permanent paralysis.

Not saying your grandfather had a stroke, however. How old is he, btw?

Old 05-02-2011, 02:02 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Positive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB User

hello my friend,
from my what I have read, it sounds like a stroke to me, in my opinion. what is his age? is there an issue with the doctors? i guess i don't understand why there is a question. if he had a stroke, it is or it isn't. i hope that doesn't sound harsh, but from what I write - the question it is not for you, it is for the doctors? i am sorry in my i own ignorance.... ask the doctor point blank and don't be shy... they are working for you. if your grandpa had a stroke it is very important for you to know so you can go forward.
god bless always,
tim

Last edited by Positive Cynic; 05-02-2011 at 02:10 PM.

Old 05-04-2011, 04:01 PM   #5
(female)

Cirquel HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sue984 View Post
From everything you described, I think you were correct in calling 911. Your grandfather being unable to stand, and "not right" must have been scary for you.
What happened at the emergency room??

Sue
Hi Sue,

Unfortunately, my grandfather was not diagnosed with a stroke when he got into emergency. We waited a whole day, hearing back that various scans and blood tests didn't point to stroke. My parents told me that he was put on an IV and given antibiotics.

Today, we found out that indeed, it was a stroke. I'm not sure whether thrombolytics were given to him when he first entered the hospital... and I truly hope he was properly taken care of...

The following user gives a hug of support to Cirquel:
sue984 (05-05-2011)
Old 05-04-2011, 04:04 PM   #6
(female)

Cirquel HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positive Cynic View Post
hello my friend,
from my what I have read, it sounds like a stroke to me, in my opinion. what is his age? is there an issue with the doctors? i guess i don't understand why there is a question. if he had a stroke, it is or it isn't. i hope that doesn't sound harsh, but from what I write - the question it is not for you, it is for the doctors? i am sorry in my i own ignorance.... ask the doctor point blank and don't be shy... they are working for you. if your grandpa had a stroke it is very important for you to know so you can go forward.
god bless always,
tim
They didn't actually know. and now I found out that it WAS in fact a stroke...

Old 05-05-2011, 04:27 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

Positive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirquel View Post
They didn't actually know. and now I found out that it WAS in fact a stroke...
Cirquel,
I am sorry about your grandfather's condition. At least you all know now and can move forward towards his recovery. If you have any questions, there are a lot friends here that will help in anyway we can. I wish you and your family my best.
God Bless,
Tim

Old 05-05-2011, 11:47 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User

Cirquel,

I am so sorry to hear of your grandfather's stroke. With most of us here being stroke survivors, we are always sorry to hear of another one.

May I ask how your grandfather is doing now? Is he at home, and what seem to be his losses, if any now? Now that you have a solid diagnosis, you can begin to support his recovery.

This is likely a very confusing time for him, if he is like most of us. Especially in the first few months, things can be very unsettling. The more you can make him feel safe and comfortable the better. It sounds like you have a close family that will be very helpful for his recovery.

Please feel free to ask any questions when they come up, there are so many things that we can share with you, and we are happy to do so.

Janet

Closed Thread

Tags
loss of strength, stroke, weakness