It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Stroke Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2011, 08:27 AM   #1
(female)

expo-92 HB User
left arm dislocated after my sroke

I had a stoke in 2009.after my stroke , my arm become dislocated. they told me this was not uncommon. I never received much therapy on my arm and cannot use my arm or hand on that side. My dr. said there's not much hope I'll ever use it again and there's nothing they can do this long after the stroke.has anyone else had this problem or know of anything that can help?

Old 05-07-2011, 03:21 PM   #2
(male)

coupe HB Usercoupe HB Usercoupe HB Usercoupe HB Usercoupe HB Usercoupe HB Usercoupe HB Usercoupe HB Usercoupe HB Usercoupe HB Usercoupe HB User
Re: left arm dislocated after my stroke

hi expo, I'm a little confused when you say " my arm become dislocated"? do you mean your arm? or is it your shoulder separated after your stroke? did lt separate at the rotator cuff? if so, this is called a subluxation. it's spelled right, but spell check doesn't recognize it? at least I think it is! it is as spelled in my hospital records. I too suffered a massive stroke, left side affected completely paralyzed entire side. the subluxation is measured by the number of fingers that'll fit into the separation, mine was measured at 3 fingers. my stroke was 18 1/2 years ago. in my 3 years in the hospital and rehab my therapists never paid much attention to my shoulder, they concentrated on my affected leg/foot the did work on my arm/hand, mostly just massage, stretching and wieght bearing. they did very little to help my shoulder, did try a FES unit for a couple months FES is like a TENS unit only FES= functional electrical stimulation where tens unit is used for pain sending impulses to nerves. FES sends electrical pulses to muscles to make them contract and relax like they are working, but I think it needs some kind of impulse to the brain to be effective? it did mine no good! I do suggest you never ever let your arm hang straight down, pulling on your shoulder nobody who doesn't have it, doesn't know the pain it causes. mine has closed to just over 1 finger now still hurts. wear a sling if you can all day? keep your elbow held up not weighing down on your shoulder will help the pain. they gave me another contraption to hold my shoulder up. I don't know what it's called? it wraps around your upper arm and shoulder, holding it up I just called it my shoulder bra. cause it reminded me of a bra, if you can talk to an occupational therapist? they might know what/ where to get it? it helped the pain a bunch.I was told to wear it all waking hours, you do need help putting it on though. I don't know of any cure for it, unless maybe some kind of surgery? I'm not ready for any more surgeries myself, the pain does lesson but takes time. I was told the arm/hand is the hardest thing to get back, I've gotten nothing back in my left arm/hand I was left handed, after 18 1/2 years I still can't write right handed. thank god for computers and printers!

I hope this answered some of your questions?

good luck and god bless and keep trying, do not give up!

Larry/coupe

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to coupe For This Useful Post:
expo-92 (05-08-2011), goingtorun (05-08-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-07-2011, 05:10 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User
Re: left arm dislocated after my sroke

Hello expo...

What a great response from Coupe..so happy that he is so knowledgeable about your apparent issues with your arm/shoulder.

I would just like to introduce myself, I am Janet. While I cannot address your question, I would like to welcome you to this forum..we are happy to have you. I will be reading along to see what I can learn. My strokes (4) did not cause permanent paralysis, but I am open to learning all I can while I am here. There are so many facets to every stroke, it is a complicated mixture.

Although I am sorry you have had a stroke, I am hopeful that you have found some good in this time, with 3 years of recovery behind you. I am in my 8th year of recovery, and am still making progress.

You will likely have others coming by to introduce themselves as well. If you like this kind of forum, I hope you will stay around and get to know us. We have a great group of stoke survivors here that share our ideas and support with each other, We would love to have you and hear your story.

janet

The Following User Says Thank You to writeleft For This Useful Post:
expo-92 (05-08-2011)
Old 05-08-2011, 02:07 AM   #4
(female)

expo-92 HB User

Thank you Larry/coupe, you're right.it is subluxation that I have with my shoulder. It is painful. I have tried wearing a sling, but it causes a lot of pain in my right shoulder from the weight of my left arm.so either way I'm in pain. The doctors around my area won't give much pain medicine.We've had a good bit of problems with people selling meds, so the doctors are scared to give them out. this makes it hard for the ones that need it.it's hard for me to get to a pain clinic. I can't drive and have no one to take me to anther town to the clinic. I just have to grin and bear it. I have a good bit of nerve pain also. the dr. gave me neurontin and baclofen, but they don't help too much. they just make me sleepy. I'veked about any kind of surgery, but the dr. said if they tried to put my shoulder back. it wouldn't stay

The following user gives a hug of support to expo-92:
coupe (05-09-2011)
Old 05-08-2011, 08:07 AM   #5
(female)

lindmar67 HB User

Hi Expo...I'm sorry to ear about your stroke. My name is Linda and I'm welcoming you aboard our nice stroke family. I also suffered a stroke and mine was 1½ month ago. It has not paralysed me but left my complete right side deeply numb and uncoordinate from the shoulder down. I also cannot help you on your question but I do wish that things get better for you as soon as possible. Take care...

Linda

Old 05-08-2011, 11:32 AM   #6
(female)

Alberta1967 HB UserAlberta1967 HB UserAlberta1967 HB UserAlberta1967 HB UserAlberta1967 HB UserAlberta1967 HB UserAlberta1967 HB UserAlberta1967 HB UserAlberta1967 HB User

Hi, my name is Alberta. I too, had a stroke (3). My left side will not work. But I am still working on it. I will never give up. My shoulder hurt like crazy a few years ago. I had one OT who said she could tape my arm. I thought she was nuts, but before I left there, I could no believe it. My shoulder felt so much better. It also helped me re-learn to hold my shoulder up. I has been 6 1/2 years since my strokes.
Try & find a OT that knows that kind of tape. I think it might help you. Good luck, Alberta

The Following User Says Thank You to Alberta1967 For This Useful Post:
Positive Cynic (05-09-2011)
Old 05-09-2011, 05:00 PM   #7
(male)

coupe HB Usercoupe HB Usercoupe HB Usercoupe HB Usercoupe HB Usercoupe HB Usercoupe HB Usercoupe HB Usercoupe HB Usercoupe HB Usercoupe HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by expo-92 View Post
Thank you Larry/coupe, you're right.it is subluxation that I have with my shoulder. It is painful. I have tried wearing a sling, but it causes a lot of pain in my right shoulder from the weight of my left arm.so either way I'm in pain. The doctors around my area won't give much pain medicine.We've had a good bit of problems with people selling meds, so the doctors are scared to give them out. this makes it hard for the ones that need it.it's hard for me to get to a pain clinic. I can't drive and have no one to take me to anther town to the clinic. I just have to grin and bear it. I have a good bit of nerve pain also. the dr. gave me neurontin and baclofen, but they don't help too much. they just make me sleepy. I'veked about any kind of surgery, but the dr. said if they tried to put my shoulder back. it wouldn't stay
hi expo, I'm sorry for using your post in my reply. but, may need it for reference points? it's getting harder and harder to find a doctor who'll prescribe pain meds meds ,every where because of street sellers/buyers, you say you have to grin and bear it, believe me I know the pain, it's more like a grimace and bear it kind of thing. it sounds to me like your need to subscribe to my triple A principle?= Assess Accept Adapt you say the sling hurts your right shoulder, so you've Assessed &Accepted now you just need to Analise and Adapt. if you look into medical supply places? they have many different kinds of slings, you may find one that'll suit you better? if you've been using the old triangle type made from a bed sheet or other material? you now it hurts your right shoulder, so you're Analyzing that now just Adapt it to fill your needs. maybe you can make it longer so the knot where it's ties doesn't hit your neck or shoulder, but more toward your back, and use a folded washcloth or other material as padding where it hits, or even longer so it goes under your right armpit positioning it so it doesn't hurt your right shoulder at all, maybe even to the extreme length of going under your right elbow, balancing out the weight so it doesn't constantly pull your right shoulder down or over to your neck, though that limits the use of your good right arm at least from your elbow down, but does give you some control over the amount of weight your left arm pulls down on your subluxed shoulder.

I'm very lucky in that of all my 132 weekly pills not one of them is for pain though There is not one second of any day that I'm not in pain somewhere/everywhere on my affected left side! I've not taken a pain med other than aspirin for about 14 years. other than after my surgery to correct my bad drop foot about 4 years ago and that was the most painful thing I've ever experienced! even the nurses in that hospital said I was using very little morphine the two nights I was there after surgery. even going home with percoset to take every 4-6 hours, I made that one bottle last 6 weeks taking only 1 a day. I know nothing about neurontin as I've never taken it, but baclofen, I've taken for over 18 years. baclofen is more for muscle spasms than pain and does make you sleepy I know all about how the pains of needles and pins and the burning sensation going from the top of your left ear down to your left toes, makes you feel, the, "but hey" you look fine from others feels. it hurts! and at times you just don't feel like doing anything but crying and left alone. I know too well about the spasms we get in our arm and leg I was taking 120 mg's of baclofen a day 12=10 mg pills and was getting spasms in my leg at night that would throw both me and my wife out of bed onto the floor. and simply riding down the road in the car, my wife might hit a bump in the road, and my left shoulder and arm would start jumping up and down like crazy or being out to eat in my wheelchair, and all of a sudden my left leg would just go straight out and start shaking like I was doing some kind of Irish gig. it's both annoying and embarrassing when I asked my doctor how to help stop the spasms? he said "work the muscles" myself said "hey they're jumping! something is working them?" so I stopped trying to stop the spasms, just let them settle themselves down even if they jumped around for ten minutes? I've weened myself off baclofen from 12 a day to only 3 it was especially bad going to urinate, as a man, usually we can't hit the toilet right to begin with! throw in a leg trying to dance around and an arm jumping almost up to your head! I was urinating on the floor, on the walls, probably even on the ceiling if the stream was strong enough? I started to set down to pee. I also know the frustration of trying to get yourself dressed, where unless someone had to learn it, they wouldn't even know how to begin to put on a shirt or coat! and the getting yourself into bed wears you out. where you get yourself undressed, the covers turned down just right 1/2 the time once you're in bed the upper part of the covers are underneath you and you can't get them on you by the time you do you're beat and your heart is racing like you just sprinted a full mile my wife even after 18 1/2 years can't understand why I'm breathing so hard once I'm in bed nobody can? unless they're in our condition!

well once again this simple reply has turned into a book, one which I've thought about attempting to write. just hop it's helped at least one person?

good luck expo and everyone else I love you all if anyone needs anything from me? just ask I've got 18 1/2 years experience! and I'd like to think I've enough intelligence to help a little?

beauty is not only in the eyes of the beholder but also in the hearts of the afflicted

Larry/coupe

The following user gives a hug of support to coupe:
Alberta1967 (05-09-2011)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to coupe For This Useful Post:
goingtorun (05-10-2011), Positive Cynic (05-09-2011)
Old 02-20-2012, 09:43 AM   #8
(female)

sofia39 HB User

Hi linda and everyone

it seems like we had our stroke about the same time. I was wondering what u doing to improve and made any progress? do u use any technology? I go therapy 4 times a week. but i just dont think am doing enough. i want to write tell u alot but get tired. Anyone can help me with information i may use please. What everyone think about bioness?Thanks

Closed Thread