It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Stroke Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2011, 09:13 AM   #1
(male)

lmorgan79 HB Userlmorgan79 HB Userlmorgan79 HB Userlmorgan79 HB Userlmorgan79 HB Userlmorgan79 HB User
Going Out Into The World

When I first had a stroke, I was in pretty bad shape, and not easy to look at. As time went by, I was much easier to look at. At times, we all feel embarrassed about our outward appearance. It can frightening to young child to see someone who has had a "major medical event".

Over my 8 years, I have found the adults to be very considerate, and kids don't even seem to notice. If anybody offers to help me out, I will usually take it, and say thank you.

Because everyone is so understanding, there is no place I won't go. I refuse to let this change where I will go. Going out anywhere will only assist in the learning process, too.

I used to think that anybody who had a stroke was an instant candidate for One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest, but no. A drooling idiot I am not. Maybe I should be more conscious of my appearance, but I'm not. If people are willing to see a guy using a rollator, I'm there.

Lee

The Following User Says Thank You to lmorgan79 For This Useful Post:
Positive Cynic (05-07-2011)
Old 05-07-2011, 12:50 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Positive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB User
Re: Going Out Into The World

Hey Lee,
Yes I totally understand where you are coming from. I don't care how I look anymore either. That is not a bad thing at all. I am just happy to be able to get to the darn store in the first place. so let them look if they want ha ha. Maybe you made some one's day that doesn't have anything else to do. I do try not to "smell" though when I go out. ha ha. I am not too bad to that point yet thank the lord. I actually may be more aware of my body being clean than before, so it is all good. I am sure you want to know about my shower routine.

but my point is that you really get the "big" picture after a stroke and the little matters about life are really not than important after all. Like "how you look". Of course my young daughters would differ about that. Now that is funny!!!
God Bless,
Tim

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-16-2011, 08:46 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User

Hi Lee,

I don't know how this post got by me, and I am sorry for the delay in answering...

I too, can totally relate to the appearance thing. Life is not the fashion show it used to be for sure. While I have never been one to dress to the nines, by any means...these days I am happy to be wearing the right things as far as comfort and climate.

While I do not have highly obvious signs of stroke, I do have episodes that make it obvious that I have medical problems. Of course, these episodes do not happen when no one is noticing, but rather right in front of everyone.

I am lucky enough to always have my family with me, at least Chad who is always on the alert for trouble, as well as my 17 year old son, who has been able to overcome the shear embarrassment of these episodes to be helpful and unconcerned about what others may think. For that I feel very very fortunate. All it takes is one little look for them to jump into action.

Our priorities are so different now. We have been forced to go right past the exterior appearance, and into the depth of our selves, to even get ourselves out, to accomplish what we need to for ourselves, and get back home safely. Cheers to that!

What ever we have to do to keep our selves out in the world, the better!
My best to you my friend..
janet

Old 05-17-2011, 05:12 AM   #4
(male)

lmorgan79 HB Userlmorgan79 HB Userlmorgan79 HB Userlmorgan79 HB Userlmorgan79 HB Userlmorgan79 HB User

Janet,

I don't know about you. but I am awful when it comes to carrying things. Especially if I need to get around with my rollator (or whatever) at the same time. Fortunately, my rollator has a storage pouch that I can use for one, or two things. If I have more than that, I have to go to Plan B. That may mean pushing a grocery cart (no brakes!), but then I have to find a spot for the rollator. The fun never ends... If all else fails, I have someone go with me. I am usually a pretty good judge of what "issues" the situation will present.

This year, I want to try something totally new for me, since my stroke anyway. I am going to do garage sales. I can get to them OK, but I have to navigate through them, plus, I need to be able to cart away whatever I buy. That should be fun!

I have to reread my original post, but I think I said that there are no real outward signs of my having had a stroke, or any other medical issue. The only clue (and it's a big one) is my use of a rollator. Pushing that thing around can be a dead giveaway. It's highly preferable to me not having it however, unless I want to give lessons on how to do a face plant.

When I want to ditch that thing totally, and have a sense of freedom, I have a recumbent trike that I get out on. The snow is gone here (finally), and it's warming up. I've been out on it a few times already this year. Now, if it would just stop raining...

Lee

Old 05-17-2011, 07:45 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User

Hi Lee,

I like the garage sale idea..they can be a lot of fun, as well as a good way to meet your neighbors, if you do not have to go too far to find them. In my neighborhood there are lots of garage sales every weekend. I have had to make myself a vow about yard sales though...that until I have 10 yard sales, that I cannot go to one! I am still working on my New Years resolution which was to get rid of 2/3 of my stuff. I have made a good dent, but I still have work to do on my goal.

I know you look forward to the day when you can leave that rollator at home, and we will celebrate with you! Until you are safe from face planting though, you better hang on to that thing!

The recumbent trike sounds fun too, when you get some warm weather. Going out into the world is a big part of our recovery that I know many of us struggle with. It feels so much safer to stay close to home, but life will not come to us, we have to go out and find it. I must admit, I have not gotten to the point of true freedom, and would always rather have someone with me when I am out.

I have not had a serious episode in some time, but I still have that lingering fear of the possibilities...not so much of another stroke, those days are over for me, but rather the other issues I have been left with. Thankfully my family are very close to me, and we have used these times to keep connected. In fact, my mom will be taking me to the doctor this morning, as it is one that is not close to my home and I drive a 1962 truck, not freeway friendly for 30 miles! We will use the time to visit and hopefully have some lunch together. I do regret that my 80 year old mother is having to take me to the doctor, rather than the other way around...but I am grateful she wants to do so.

Enjoy your day today Lee, and keep us posted about the treasures you come up with at those yard sales!

Love and friendship,
janet

Closed Thread