It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Stroke Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-15-2011, 09:54 AM   #1
(male)

dunwack HB Userdunwack HB User
life is a *****.

from a family of 6,my mum, dad and elder sister all died from having strokes, my other sister died from cancer, my younger brother suffered a stroke 18 months ago and i had my stroke just over 3yrs ago now i am worried sick i have passed this awful sickness on to my two children and from them onto my two gransons. where does this sickness end. regards dunwack

Last edited by dunwack; 05-15-2011 at 09:57 AM. Reason: spelling error

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: dunwack
JJ (05-20-2011), sjb (05-15-2011)
Old 05-15-2011, 10:09 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User
Re: life is a *****.

Hi hugs, A relative of mine had a stroke and I became interested in preventing them. In her case she had chemotherapy which may have damaged red blood cells and caused them to stick together in a clot because they may not have had the normal round slippery surface as they should have in my opinion.
She began having headaches every day and went to the emergency room several times. Another possible cause or at least aggravating factor was that she had a shot for the headache. The stroke happened within about a half an hour after the shot.
She also was on Premarin and wonders if this was a cause. Perhaps all of these factors were a cause.
After she had the stroke, the first scan reader did not look carefully enough for the problem. She had it so bad she was unconscious. I would try to get a real good scan reader to do a reread of the MRI results if possible.

A friend of mine had stroke problems and used bromelain from pineapple to thin blood. He had nearly died from hemorrhage because of the prescribed Coumadin. Some people have used vitamin E. With blood vessels lined with fat it is important, in my opinion, to gain normal weight and keep it. It is also important to avoid animal products and fats, and sugars (one doctor thinks sugar may make blood stickier, maybe that would clot, as well as slowing immune system function) which may end up converting to cholesterol. It is also important to get sunshine so extra cholesterol can convert to vitamin D instead of remaining unchanged and help clear blood vessels in my opinion. Green leafy vegetables, vegetables, whole grains, fruit, lemon, nuts, and garlic may be useful for artery health according to some. Others say don’t use too much of the green leafy vegetables because of vitamin K.
Drinking alcohol sludges blood I would avoid it to avoid a dangerous clot. Coffee, tobacco, drugs, food additives and tea and cheese also should be avoided. Dry pills and additives would just make thick blood thicker in my opinion. I would avoid the added phosphates as these are more difficult to get rid of for the kidneys so the kidneys would not be able to clear wastes and toxic things that enter the body later.
I would do walking not running if I were a person. Running increases risk of injury especially in winter when there is ice. Fresh air near pines and plants and away from city pollution is best if possible where flower, birds, animals and nature of all types may be enjoyed.
It is best to be mostly active throughout the day.
Proper posture in sitting, standing, walking and sleeping should be observed.
Legs should be uncrossed and not allowed to remain against things so that clots may form easier.
Proper clothing should be worn so that there are no tight bands inhibiting circulation and making it possible for blood to slow down in any one spot.
Water should be drunk; about 50 ounces per 100 pounds body weight between meals might be a good idea. I would eat 5 hours between meals and the last meal should be several hours before bedtime to avoid fermentation of food from bacteria with its resultant toxin.
Aneurysm type of stroke: In this case I think I might want to sleep sitting up against about 6 pillows placed in a tile position on top of another at about a 45 degree angle so that there is more comfort in sleep. If there is a weak aneurysm, in my opinion this might produce a bit less pressure inside the head until the neurologist can be seen and tests are done to figure out what is wrong, and or surgery to fix it. Perhaps the emergency room might be seen if it gets too bad.
With the clot type of stroke in my opinion it might be better to lay down to sleep for more optimum circulation to the head at night of course choosing best position for comfort.
I try to sleep 8 hours a night. It is said every hour slept before midnight is worth 2 hours after midnight. It is said that a regular schedule of bed, rising and meal times should be followed.

It is good to have a wide variety of different foods in the diet. Meats, sugars and fats would wear out the pancreas and liver and maybe should be avoided. In my opinion the combination of sugar and/or a lack of water may cause a stroke. Strokes have been more prevalent in the obese. There are also such things as fatty embolism. Obesity must be avoided.

Peace

The following user gives a hug of support to sjb:
JJ (05-20-2011)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sjb For This Useful Post:
goingtorun (05-16-2011), writeleft (05-19-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-15-2011, 10:11 AM   #3
(male)

max55 HB Usermax55 HB Usermax55 HB Usermax55 HB User

If you factor in medical advancement in genetics and such then who knows where we will be 20+ years from now. Eventually they may even have some kind of pre-stroke screening to catch things before they happen. Who knows.

Old 05-18-2011, 02:50 AM   #4
Veteran
(male)

goingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB User

G'day, hope you are well and healthy.
Thank you for all time and effort you used to post this information.
It was certainly very helpful.
Once again thank you sjb
George

Old 05-18-2011, 08:02 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

Chloe1252 HB UserChloe1252 HB UserChloe1252 HB UserChloe1252 HB UserChloe1252 HB UserChloe1252 HB UserChloe1252 HB User

Quote:
Drinking alcohol sludges blood I would avoid it to avoid a dangerous clot.
Actually, there seems to pretty good evidence that drinking a glass of red wine every day is beneficial to help ward off cholesterol problems.

I credit this practice with helping me avoid more dire consequences of my stroke.

Old 05-18-2011, 06:16 PM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User

Hi the fresh juice made with a juicer and drunk within 5 minutes of juicing it would have the a better effect but without the ethyl alcohol so dangerous to the liver. Daily sunlight a daily walk and less animal products helps with cholesterol. I know someone who was a vegan and whose cholesterol level was so low the doctor said the heart attack risk was below the very low.

The following user gives a hug of support to sjb:
dunwack (05-19-2011)
Old 05-19-2011, 02:26 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User

I agree with goingtorun (George) about thanking you for the time and effort you have put forth to post this information to us.

Janet

Old 05-20-2011, 07:50 AM   #8
Facilitator
(female)

Hi you are welcome!

Old 05-20-2011, 08:52 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User

All these suggestions are very good. I was also told to incorporate some vinegar (apple cider) into my diet as well. It not only is good for the cholesterol but blood sugar as well.

Have a fun day folks...JJ...

The Following User Says Thank You to JJ For This Useful Post:
annie42 (05-20-2011)
Old 05-20-2011, 09:53 AM   #10
(female)

hlnorg HB User

Hi Dunwack, sorry you had to lose so many of your loved ones to these diseases. Losing someone close is one of the hardest thing anyone can experience.

While you cannot predict the future, in terms of what will happen to your children and grandchildren, you can change the way you all eat. Genes play a huge role in inherited diseases but foods also play a major role. Try to cut meats from the diet and substitute with fish. Use a lot of vegetables (green leafy ones) especially, and carrots. Include all the berries you can find (strawberry, blackberry, blueberry, raspberry, cranberry) in your diet. Drink lots of pure water; keep hydrated.

Try to get everyone active - daily. If you like swimming, tennis, basketball or any game that gets the whole body moving, involve them in your daily routine.

Also, try to let go of any hurt you have towards anyone, and instill in your children and grandchildren the importance of forgiveness to their health. Keeping hurt and anger inside will slowly deteriorate our internal organs.

These are basic, but very vital, and will help to enhance the areas that you have control over. All the best! ...and please do not worry - God is in control and your deceased family are with Him now.

"If we all treat each other like we treat ourselves - what a wonderful place earth would be."

Old 05-20-2011, 11:54 AM   #11
Facilitator
(female)

Hi I have read that vinegar should not be used. I know it seems a popular theory. Two people I know personally thought apple cider was great. One now has cancer and the other has high blood pressure and had a stroke. I was told by someone that it tends to acidify the body. The body should be neutral to slightly alkaline in pH I was told.

One day someone gave us some pickles with vinegar and mustard seed in it. Because they could not be used up right away they were in a stainless steel bowl for 4 weeks. At the end of the 4 weeks there were several small holes in the bottom of it. Imagine what that would do to one's stomach and intestines! In the past someone who used to use vinegar inside of ketchup, mayonnaise and mustard got heartburn afterwards.

Old 05-20-2011, 12:29 PM   #12
Inactive
(female)

Chloe1252 HB UserChloe1252 HB UserChloe1252 HB UserChloe1252 HB UserChloe1252 HB UserChloe1252 HB UserChloe1252 HB User

Quote:
Imagine what that would do to one's stomach and intestines!
If vinegar (or anything else) sat in the stomach for 4 weeks it would be a problem, but nothing stays and sits in our stomachs. I really don't think the consumption of vinegar in the usual amounts should be seen as a cause of cancer and high BP.

Eat a varied diet and practice moderation and you're doing the best you can.

My mother in law ate little but fat meat and cake and drank soft drinks all day long. She died at 87. She was lucky to have extreme longevity in her family and some people aren't lucky, no matter how rigorously they monitor what they eat and drink.

Maybe your friend got the heartburn from the food he was putting the vinegar on.

JMO.

The Following User Says Thank You to Chloe1252 For This Useful Post:
JJ (05-20-2011)
Old 05-20-2011, 02:59 PM   #13
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User

Let us all remember we are talking to and about stroke survivors here, and stroke is a mysterious and tragic event that changes a persons life in an instant, and for ever..often without ever knowing the exact cause.

For those of us who do know the cause, such as myself (malignant hypertension), we can do a lot to help lower the risk of another stroke in our diets, but the activity is often limited to our own abilities. Many of us are impaired physically, in wheelchairs, walkers and without the use of arms and legs. Many of us face huge struggles everyday to keep a smile on our faces, but none of us are giving up, we can't.

I personally do not subscribe to any (in my opinion) dietary crazes, as they are just as often re-considered to be either useless or dangerous in the end. I stay with a diet of fresh foods, fruits, vegetables and lean meats. Keeping things very simple works for me, and my family.

Love to all,
Janet

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to writeleft For This Useful Post:
goingtorun (05-21-2011), Positive Cynic (05-21-2011)
Old 05-22-2011, 07:20 AM   #14
Facilitator
(female)

Hi for exercise some people who are in wheelchairs use passive exercise machines and move other moveable parts as much as possible for benefit.

I don't want anyone to misunderstand here. I am not saying the vinegar was a cause of their cancer and high blood pressure. I am saying they were unhealthy folks and they had claimed that the vinegar was a healing healthy item to use. At least one of these individuals did use meat and maybe the high blood pressure was caused by this because she was overweight and the fat and cholesterol from the meat probably collected in the blood vessels making less available space for the blood constricting the area for flow and raising pressure raising the risk for her stroke. Vinegar did not heal her situation either. In addition admittedly one of them smoked in their past but obviously the vinegar did not have the health benefits to heal him as he had supposed. Some people have claimed there were great benefits to the apple cider vinegar but the truth is I don't see any. Why not eat the apple as it is off the tree? It is said by one doctor to be helpful to 5 different organ systems of the body.

Last edited by sjb; 05-22-2011 at 07:23 AM.

Old 05-22-2011, 07:46 AM   #15
(male)

max55 HB Usermax55 HB Usermax55 HB Usermax55 HB User

I have been a fruit kick since mine. They have anti-toxins and help lower blood pressure and cholesterol.

< edited >

Last edited by hb-mod; 05-22-2011 at 07:48 AM. Reason: Please don't post unapproved websites, or copy and paste from another site,per Posting Policy. Thanks.

Closed Thread