It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Stroke Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-26-2011, 05:44 AM   #1
(male)

lmorgan79 HB Userlmorgan79 HB Userlmorgan79 HB Userlmorgan79 HB Userlmorgan79 HB Userlmorgan79 HB User
The Positive Things About A Stroke

Having a stroke is nothing short of a tragedy. It can debilitate, causes many challenges to daily life, or even cause death, but there is at least one positive aspect to this horrible event.

If survival is attained, where else do you get a "do over" on your life? Whatever is determined to be a negative aspect of your life can be discarded after a stroke. Emphasis can be put on the positive things. The real person shines through.

Hit the reset button.

Lee

The Following User Says Thank You to lmorgan79 For This Useful Post:
AiNoTenshi (09-30-2012)
Old 05-26-2011, 06:40 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Positive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB User
Re: The Positive Things About A Stroke

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmorgan79 View Post
Having a stroke is nothing short of a tragedy. It can debilitate, causes many challenges to daily life, or even cause death, but there is at least one positive aspect to this horrible event.

If survival is attained, where else do you get a "do over" on your life? Whatever is determined to be a negative aspect of your life can be discarded after a stroke. Emphasis can be put on the positive things. The real person shines through.

Hit the reset button.

Lee
Thank you Lee.
Very well said. We all hurt and it as so hard to figrue out what is going on with ourselves.

Did you ever trying to write and the thought is gone? That just happened to me just now. seriously.
I wanted to help someone and lost it. but you know what I mean.

In my ignorance. there may be someone that understands it and is ok that we are not crazy. The hardest thing about a stroke is the families to try and understand.

I have seen couples split after a stroke, and it just hurts me, but I understand too.
life and understanding about stroke survivors is hard. It is a lot harder when things are ok.. because everyone thinks you are ok, but then you have a bad spot of speaking or walking and it starts all over again.
but we love each other there all of it. You are the stroke survivors that can only understand it. You all also know how hard this was for me to type this. but that is part of the recovery.

I love you all and wish you well

Last edited by Positive Cynic; 05-27-2011 at 05:53 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-27-2011, 06:29 AM   #3
(male)

lmorgan79 HB Userlmorgan79 HB Userlmorgan79 HB Userlmorgan79 HB Userlmorgan79 HB Userlmorgan79 HB User

I forget things all the time. It seems that every morning, I think "today, I'm going to do X, Y, and Z". Then I can't remember what X, and Y were to save my life. The other bad thing is that I forget people's names, even people that I know really well. Then, it'll come to me, but the crucial moment has passed. Once I figure it out, I won't forget it again, but... It seems that if I'm doing well physically, I'm doing poorly on the mental front, and vice versa. It's all a part of having had a stroke, I guess.

Old 05-27-2011, 07:20 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

Chloe1252 HB UserChloe1252 HB UserChloe1252 HB UserChloe1252 HB UserChloe1252 HB UserChloe1252 HB UserChloe1252 HB User

I heard a "Hi!" the other day in a store. I think she could tell by my deer-in-headlights look that I hadn't a clue, so she said "It's ______" (I forgot her name again!) I knew her for a long time years ago.

Last edited by moderator2; 05-27-2011 at 04:45 PM.

Old 05-27-2011, 09:42 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Positive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB User

thanks Chloe... that was hilarious.
God Bless you as always

Old 05-27-2011, 03:47 PM   #6
(male)

max55 HB Usermax55 HB Usermax55 HB Usermax55 HB User

Hello all. Interesting thread. I got lucky with the mental aspects - at least so far I seem to have not lost much. Main thing I think about is how much worse it could have been and also how much my life has changed.

I would not have quit smoking without this. Maybe I would have gotten something much worse. I would not have got my bp in check without this - maybe I would have done irreparable damage to my circulatory system.

In many ways this could have saved my life down the line. Given a choice I still would have preferred not to have it ( obviously ) but since its happened it has brought a lot of good positive things. I am so much more health aware now

Old 05-27-2011, 04:37 PM   #7
(male)

Knowing your own health issues is a big plus. It certainly did that for me. I wonder how many bad habits (i.e. smoking, drinking, drugs, etc.) stroke has stopped. If I had to guess, I would say "more than a few".

Old 05-27-2011, 09:04 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

Hey Max,
yes I used to smoke too. but that is not my stroke reason it was bacterial. but just so you know. I know how hard stopping smoking is. But I smoked a cigarette at a friends house and fell of the chair.... so problem solved....
no more smokey for me o

Closed Thread