It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Stroke Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-20-2011, 03:18 PM   #1
(female)

swellshell68 HB User
Stroke w/ no physical evidence on scans

I had a stroke on May17th. I was driving and felt like my head was going into a foggy tunnel, tried to p/u phone to call daughter and my arm was real heavy and hard to make move. I called her and she noticed my speech getting really slurred and then not understandable at all. She told me to pull over and she called 911. They came , could not walk from my car to ambulance, was having hard timing understanding what they were telling me.
Got to hospital, had hard time signing name. Despite all this,they did MRI of brain, CT scans with and without dye, ultrasound of cartoid artieris and a TEE to look at heart. They could not find anything, but the fact I have Chiari Malformation type 1. I was let go 3 days later. I still have right sided weakness, speech problems that get bad with fatigue or stress, short term memory issues, emotional and mental issues. And I cannot multitask or be quick on my toes like I used to. Can any tell me if they have had this happen to them, and never find reason for stroke? It is extremely frustrating!!!

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: swellshell68
Mulchie (06-20-2011), nightingale00 (06-23-2011)
Old 06-20-2011, 04:47 PM   #2
(female)

aphrodite62782 HB User
Re: Stroke w/ no physical evidence on scans

I can't type again. But read my story on "new to this, but trying to stay positive" I know how you fell.
DD --- 3-2-11 Lillyanna

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-20-2011, 05:10 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

Mulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB User

Hello
I am so sorry what you are going through. You have certainly come to the right place. I may not be able to help you but when I saw your post I had to reply. Many of your symptoms are similar to mine. My MRI showed a stroke so it took the confusion out of it. I understand your frustration when you are feeling this way and they cant tell you why. While researching If I come across anything I think might help shed some light on this, I will let you know. God Bless
Mulchie

Old 06-22-2011, 09:09 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Positive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by swellshell68 View Post
I had a stroke on May17th. I was driving and felt like my head was going into a foggy tunnel, tried to p/u phone to call daughter and my arm was real heavy and hard to make move. I called her and she noticed my speech getting really slurred and then not understandable at all. She told me to pull over and she called 911. They came , could not walk from my car to ambulance, was having hard timing understanding what they were telling me.
Got to hospital, had hard time signing name. Despite all this,they did MRI of brain, CT scans with and without dye, ultrasound of cartoid artieris and a TEE to look at heart. They could not find anything, but the fact I have Chiari Malformation type 1. I was let go 3 days later. I still have right sided weakness, speech problems that get bad with fatigue or stress, short term memory issues, emotional and mental issues. And I cannot multitask or be quick on my toes like I used to. Can any tell me if they have had this happen to them, and never find reason for stroke? It is extremely frustrating!!!

Hi swellshell,
Welcome. I am so sorry to hear what you have been going through. After reading what you wrote here I thought for sure you did have a stroke and somehow they missed it in the hospital. I know that can happen once in awhile. Everything you wrote is exactly what happened to me after my stroke. But you said you have Chiari Malformation type 1. I have never heard of that so I did a little research on it. I was very surprised that many of its symptoms are identical to stroke symptoms. So did they just tell you that at the hospital, or have you had it for awhile? I will try and help you if I can from here, but can you give a little more information on your Chiari Malformation type 1 situation? How long you have had it, etc. If you got an MRI and CAT scans and they didn't see anything maybe they are correct. Most of the time to my knowledge, a stroke is easy to see on the photos as a white or black spot on your brain.

Please write back when you are able.
God Bless,
Tim

Old 06-22-2011, 08:03 PM   #5
(male)

max55 HB Usermax55 HB Usermax55 HB Usermax55 HB User

Yes I looked up Chiari Malformation type 1. too and it looks like it can affect the same areas as a stroke. Perhaps your condition was aggravated for some reason? At any rate I hope you feel better and can get some treatment for it.

Old 06-22-2011, 08:17 PM   #6
(female)

aphrodite62782 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positive Cynic View Post
Hi swellshell,
Welcome. I am so sorry to hear what you have been going through. After reading what you wrote here I thought for sure you did have a stroke and somehow they missed it in the hospital. I know that can happen once in awhile. Everything you wrote is exactly what happened to me after my stroke. But you said you have Chiari Malformation type 1. I have never heard of that so I did a little research on it. I was very surprised that many of its symptoms are identical to stroke symptoms. So did they just tell you that at the hospital, or have you had it for awhile? I will try and help you if I can from here, but can you give a little more information on your Chiari Malformation type 1 situation? How long you have had it, etc. If you got an MRI and CAT scans and they didn't see anything maybe they are correct. Most of the time to my knowledge, a stroke is easy to see on the photos as a white or black spot on your brain.

Please write back when you are able.
God Bless,
Tim
I have been doing some research on whether a stroke always shows on a ct scan or mri. Turns it doesn'tt. The ct scan is not always strong enough to find it and if the blood clot has passed or too much time has passed it can be hard to detect the residual damage. Especially if it was located in a smaller nerve center of the brain. Mri's can be more affective in capturing these hard to find areas, but are not definitive. Most doctors base the diagnosis on symptoms, mobility, sensatory testing, famly history, and prior warning signss. All of this combined with any environmental predisposition can help determine a diagnosis in a case where the stroke is minor/ischemic. I was really glad to find this out. It explains a lot of what happened to me and I wanted to share it. Be blessed!
DD --- 3-2-11 Lillyanna

Old 06-22-2011, 08:26 PM   #7
(male)

max55 HB Usermax55 HB Usermax55 HB Usermax55 HB User

I don't know. Mine did not show up on a ct but did on an MRI. I was under the impression when i was waiting my turn for the MRI machine that it would be definitive. Then again none of us are doctors here so.

Last edited by max55; 06-22-2011 at 08:27 PM.

Old 06-23-2011, 03:29 AM   #8
(female)

nightingale00 HB Usernightingale00 HB Usernightingale00 HB Usernightingale00 HB Usernightingale00 HB Usernightingale00 HB Usernightingale00 HB User

my mum had one on 17th may one year ago...I read your article and am puzzled, as are you...it must have been a big TIA,,,trans ischemic attack..which is a small clot (mini stroke) which may have resolved itself, but normally the symptoms should reverse themselves over a few days....I would nonetheless take it as a warning that you need to assess yourself for risk factors like blood pressure, go on low dose aspirin as prevention, and certainly attempt some rehabitlitation or therapy to get back on track..goodluck!

Old 06-23-2011, 05:25 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

Positive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by aphrodite62782 View Post
I have been doing some research on whether a stroke always shows on a ct scan or mri. Turns it doesn'tt. The ct scan is not always strong enough to find it and if the blood clot has passed or too much time has passed it can be hard to detect the residual damage. Especially if it was located in a smaller nerve center of the brain. Mri's can be more affective in capturing these hard to find areas, but are not definitive. Most doctors base the diagnosis on symptoms, mobility, sensatory testing, famly history, and prior warning signss. All of this combined with any environmental predisposition can help determine a diagnosis in a case where the stroke is minor/ischemic. I was really glad to find this out. It explains a lot of what happened to me and I wanted to share it. Be blessed!
Thank you aphrodite,
That makes sense. I was just going from my own experience. I didn't see my MRI but my wife did and she said the doctor showed her this big black oval spot on the left side of my brain. I have also have heard from several other stroke survivors that said their strokes could be seen on their MRI's.

But I certainly believe that those tests could miss it too and that would not surprise me either. I love this board. I seem to learn some little bit of knowledge everyday.

But to you swellshell. It does seem like you have a dilemma. You have Chiari Malformation type 1 and/or possibly a stroke and it seems like they parrot each other. When you left the hospital did they give you any directions or follow-ups? If they didn't that is just wrong. Can you get a second opinion? Maybe with a neurologist and let him get your films from the hospital. I know how frustrating this all is not knowing. Have you felt any better since the first episode? I hope so. Keep up posted.

God Bless,
Tim

Closed Thread