It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Stroke Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-23-2011, 09:19 AM   #16
(female)

Alone in Vegas HB UserAlone in Vegas HB UserAlone in Vegas HB UserAlone in Vegas HB UserAlone in Vegas HB UserAlone in Vegas HB User
Re: Hello.

Hi Casey (and all),

I just feel as though I'm standing in a crowded stadium bleeding and screaming and every one just walks pass.. I only feel normal laying down... and the thing is... its not that I'm feeling bad, just tired ALLLLLLLLLL the time... and some weird thing with my right hand and arm... supposedly the normal side, but it hurts like I something is wrong with the bone and my hand feels weird. If I didn't know better I'd say arthritis... I just woke up one day and it hurt.... it hurts worse with cold...

I'm glad to be alive, but I HATE THIS... and the worse part is pretending that all is okay so not to upset my mother (she's in Chicago)...

Old 06-23-2011, 09:34 AM   #17
(female)

ennbee HB Userennbee HB Userennbee HB Userennbee HB Userennbee HB Userennbee HB User

Dear alone: Hello and welcome

I understand how you feel .. Fortunately I have my husband as my primary caregiver and 2 grown daughters not too far away. Without them I would be really stuck. I cannot imagine going through this alone. As Tim mentioned the emotional side is as hard as the physical. It does sound as though you are progressing well physically.

My stroke left me with left side deficits as well. My arm is particularly slow to improve. I can walk a little and talk and my cognitive skills seem fine. I have a private home care worker 2 mornings a week to help with bathing, dressing, laundry etc. and just started with a private neurophysio yesterday as my outpatient PT AND OT time was up. I tip my hat to you going out to work every day...what a struggle that must be.

Fatigue affects me the same way...less coordinated, shortened attention span etc.
Please always remember you are not alone here. Ask, complain, vent ...anything on your mind....there are good people here who understand and have answers. I am too early on this road to even know the signs ahead. But someone here will !!!

With every good wish,
Nancy

Last edited by ennbee; 06-23-2011 at 09:37 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-23-2011, 09:55 AM   #18
(female)

Alone in Vegas HB UserAlone in Vegas HB UserAlone in Vegas HB UserAlone in Vegas HB UserAlone in Vegas HB UserAlone in Vegas HB User

Thanks so much.... I'm sure I'm not alone but its hard when everything you feel your head tells you "is another stroke' OR "you're going to die"..

But hey 2 months ago I couldn't move, walk, stand, write, type.... or use the bathroom. I think the worse part of this experience is the humiliation that comes with not being able to do anything alone, I think that' s why I worked so hard on recovery.... I just wanted to pee without having to wait for someone else to do it.

Old 06-23-2011, 12:29 PM   #19
(female)

Casey991 HB UserCasey991 HB UserCasey991 HB UserCasey991 HB UserCasey991 HB UserCasey991 HB UserCasey991 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alone in Vegas View Post
Hi Casey (and all),

I just feel as though I'm standing in a crowded stadium bleeding and screaming and every one just walks pass.. I only feel normal laying down... and the thing is... its not that I'm feeling bad, just tired ALLLLLLLLLL the time... and some weird thing with my right hand and arm... supposedly the normal side, but it hurts like I something is wrong with the bone and my hand feels weird. If I didn't know better I'd say arthritis... I just woke up one day and it hurt.... it hurts worse with cold...

I'm glad to be alive, but I HATE THIS... and the worse part is pretending that all is okay so not to upset my mother (she's in Chicago)...
Rosalind,
It's perfectly normal to feel tired all the time after a stroke. Still, I think you need to get yourself over to your doctor and let him/her know how you're feeling. Maybe you need some different/new meds? Even though my numbers weren't bad, my doc put me on Lipitor after my strokes and I'll tell you, that stuff almost killed me. Sheesh. I can't tell you how miserable it made me feel (not to mention the unmentionable FLATULENCE!!!). Seriously I switched to Crestor (also has side effects but not nearly as bad) and I was like a new person.

Maybe you're using the good hand in different ways to compensate for the weaker hand...again, maybe the doctor will tell you. And if it's any small consolation, I too am much more sensitive to cold now than I was before.

I also know what you mean about HATING THIS. I am not one of those people who says that they have become a better person after stroke or anything like that. Honestly, I'm still hunting for the new improved Casey. I haven't found her yet! But since time only goes one way, this current Casey (me today) is all I've got to work with.

You know, I'm super tough on myself...I have to be...and so while I do understand your feelings of isolation I think you are doing yourself a kind of disservice if you give in to those feelings 100%. I am lucky in a weird way, I have two crazy busy jobs but my second job is as House Manager at a theater and so I am forced to see people and be social. Even if I mis-speak or forget names I have to be out of my shell.

Just think about this for a moment or two...you are no different than the girl who moved to Las Vegas to start over a few months ago, you just had a rock in the road. You've come really far in 2 short months (The bathroom portion is HUGE, I know!!!!) and you will continue to make progress.

I know it's hard but I think you can stop being so afraid that another stroke has your name on it. My Casey philosophy that has gotten me through the hardest of times is that I give myself 10 minutes a day to feel sorry for myself. During that time, I can cry, scream, curse, whatever. I can take it in increments or all at once. Once it's over, though...it's over for the day. Then I have to focus on the positive.

Maybe that will work for you too? You can worry for ten minutes a day (or give yourself a time) and then force yourself to stop worrying.

I think you're plenty tough. You moved to Las Vegas on your own, you're back to work, you're trying to keep up appearances so you don't worry your mom...all those things point to someone who has what my dad would have called "moxie".

Yeah, the stroke was a major, major setback...but Rosalind, you can start your life over again. I am hoping you can take a deep breath and try it one day at a time.

I hope you start to feel better soon. And please remember that you're not alone.

Casey

Old 06-23-2011, 12:50 PM   #20
(female)

I think you're so right.... I feel like I have GOT to stop or I"ll hang myself in the bathroom. I guess its just that since it happened, I've never mourned or anything. I'm on every medication known to man, including Lipitor, Plavix, Metropolol, and 6 others.... I am heading to the doc because all of a sudden I can't spread my fingers wide in the right without intense pain, but I'm sitting in a cold office and I think that's it. The pain is really bad at the thumb and wrist...

But anywho... I'm going to suck it up and focus on decorating my new house; I had just been there a month when this happened... I swear $3,000 and I'd take off another 2 months but that's just not an option for me so I'm going to suck it up and focus on other things....

I know I'd sell my cat for sausage pizza and a banana split!!!! Its hoooooooooooottttttttttt in Vegas.

The following user gives a hug of support to Alone in Vegas:
Casey991 (06-23-2011)
Old 06-23-2011, 01:21 PM   #21
(female)

Casey991 HB UserCasey991 HB UserCasey991 HB UserCasey991 HB UserCasey991 HB UserCasey991 HB UserCasey991 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alone in Vegas View Post
I think you're so right.... I feel like I have GOT to stop or I"ll hang myself in the bathroom. I guess its just that since it happened, I've never mourned or anything. I'm on every medication known to man, including Lipitor, Plavix, Metropolol, and 6 others.... I am heading to the doc because all of a sudden I can't spread my fingers wide in the right without intense pain, but I'm sitting in a cold office and I think that's it. The pain is really bad at the thumb and wrist...

But anywho... I'm going to suck it up and focus on decorating my new house; I had just been there a month when this happened... I swear $3,000 and I'd take off another 2 months but that's just not an option for me so I'm going to suck it up and focus on other things....

I know I'd sell my cat for sausage pizza and a banana split!!!! Its hoooooooooooottttttttttt in Vegas.
Rosalind,
You are in Las Vegas, I'm in Florida. You will understand when I tell you that summer is Florida is miserably, stinking cold. Every building, elevator, supermarket and mall is air-conditioned to simulate conditions in a meat locker. I have a collection of "office sweaters" (translation, UGLY) to get me through the day. I even have a pair of fingerless gloves that I wear on bad days. I got them on the internet from an arthritis site and they do help, although my typing suffers a bit when I wear them.

Maybe new meds will be part of the answer for you. It took us about six months to find a tolerable combination of medicine. I'm still not thrilled but my current regime seems to working.

I was never a pizza or banana split girl. I highly recommend a few spoonfuls of Greek yogurt now and then...it's my treat food.

Let us know what the doctor says about your hand. I care.

Casey

Old 06-23-2011, 01:29 PM   #22
(female)

I will, promise... greek yogurt... ummmm... no no noooooooooooooo

Closed Thread