It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Stroke Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-30-2011, 03:22 AM   #1
(female)

iansdaughter HB Useriansdaughter HB User
Update... And Stillnox? Any advice?

Hello friends

A quick update, back at work which is really hard. Only happy when I am with dad these days. Work have been great though and my boss has agreed to me heading down to see dad twice a week and I can make up the hours before or after work.

Dad should get his hospital transfer mid to late next week. I spent yesterday with him and he had his first caffeine fix for 3 weeks. The tea lady came around and I asked him I'd he wanted tea or coffee. He said 'ummm' (yay!) and was trying to say what he wanted. Eventually got him a tea (added some cold water so not too hot). Mum told me later that he doesn't like tea. Told her he was holding on tight to that cup til he finished it, post stroke it seems he loves tea! We got him in the regency chair and took him to the foyer and cafe for some lunch and people watching - he was such a nosy Parker watching everything I loved it! He also guzzled half of my iced coffee so mus have been buzzing!

He is still refusing his savory meals, not sure if it the powdered hospital food or he is now just 'sweets only ian'. Making him some homemade pea and ham soup this weekend so will find out soon. Hospital now giving him nutritional drinks that he loves so at least he is getting some vitamins and calories.

Anyway, back to the question at hand. There is a lot in the news in Australia right now about stillnox for strike victims. Can anyone offer advice? Even if we can just use it once and have the chance to talk about what he is feeling and what needs to be done. Should I talk to new dr about it after hospital transfer?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-30-2011, 01:10 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

Mulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB User
Re: Update ... And Stillnox? Any advice?

Sounds like your Dad is doing good. That homemade soup will do the trick . Nothing like home cooking when your in the hospital. As for the drug, Im sorry I did a little bit of research on it and what I concluded was, you should do a lot of research on it before making that decision.
God Bless
Mulchie

The Following User Says Thank You to Mulchie For This Useful Post:
iansdaughter (06-30-2011)
Old 07-10-2011, 12:11 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User

Hi there and thank you so much for the update on your dads recovery. He sounds as if he is well on his way!

I am sorry that I do not have any information about the stillnox, I have never even heard of it, but I am not on the forefront of stroke research or any new medications offered. I am happy to try and keep up with the local news, and struggle at that!

We are always happy to get news about any of our "family" and encourage you to continue if you have time. I am sure getting back to work has drained you of much of you free time, but we are always here listening...

Janet

Old 07-13-2011, 05:18 AM   #4
(female)

iansdaughter HB Useriansdaughter HB User

Hi Janet

Thanks for the message and apologies for absence, really struggling to be present for work, dad, support for mum, my partner and everything else in life right now. How dare the world keep turning when I need it to stop!

As for stillnox, I too am an amateur but it seems to 'deactivate' the substance the protects damaged brain sections (and therefore blocks them off from working) for short periods of time. It was an approved sleeping pill that had people sleepwalking all over the place, so I guess I can see how it would activate other areas of the brain. On my list to ask the new doctor about but fingers crossed progress will happen anyway.

And on the topic of progress, YES! Dad has finally been transferred to the private hospital and is getting daily physio, OT and speech therapy. After two days they have already taken away the regency chair and he is supporting himself in a wheelchair.

The last week or so he has been talking alot more. We can't understand it but who cares, he is talking! Elocution is the next step. He has also been pointing fingers and getting cranky, love it, he has his spirit back!

The level of neglect at the last hospital is unbelievable. They wrote him off after two days and we had to fight to get 1 or 2 physio sessions a week (not to mention the time spent convincing mum that they were full of sh*t talking about nursing homes after a week, thank you so much to everyone here for giving the real story about long term recovery).

After the last two days there we are making a complaint to state health minister. On Dad's last night, they transferred him to the rehab building. Mum got there and the area was filthy from last patient (in addition to generat dirt there was still food on the tray table!). It turned out that the last patient in the bed was returning once dad left. We worked out that they just wanted to put the discharge papers on the rehab department's letterhead so it looked like they were treating him (new doctor has already said he was neglected - he only had liquids when we were there to give them and were then surprised that he was dehydrated).

Either way, that is the past. Dad is now in a place where the focus is on recovery rather than freeing a bed. Poor bugger is going to have to work his butt off but we our aim is for him to be home for Christmas. And get sick to the teeth of the two women in his life nagging him! I love that he gets cranky, it means that he is back!

And will continue with my mantra. Today is the worst it will ever be.

Thanks Janet and everyone, you have no idea how much difference you have made to our family in even just having the knowledge to ignore the doctors and focus on recovery instead. No way to repay that debt! I do know that once Dad is well on the road to recovery and I have some time again, I will be doing some advocacy work for people in similar positions.

[

The following user gives a hug of support to iansdaughter:
Mulchie (07-13-2011)
Old 07-13-2011, 06:43 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

Mulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB User

Wow you are a power house for your dad. Good for you. He is so blessed to have you. I love the way you pick out the positive. Even though he is crankie you love it because it is a bit of him coming back. Yes he is talking you cant understand him but that doesnt bother you because you can see passed it and know it is a step in recovery. Wow. I loved your post. Keep up the great work, Your Dad is blessed and his life is better because you are in it.
God Bless
Mulchie

Old 07-13-2011, 08:40 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User

I agree with Mulchie, you have your priorities all in order! It is great that you are seeing beyond this day and keeping your eyes on the prize. The more he talks the better you will understand him and the better he will speak. Thank you for not emphasizing the inability to understand every little word, what it most important is that he is working so hard on expressing himself.

You truly are a blessing for you dad, and no need to ever apologize for getting back to us when ever you can.. we all understand the pressure you are under in keeping the whole world turning, as you put it so nicely!

We will all be looking forward to news of his next steps forward, and we can never forget that in times when his progress is not as obvious as others, he is still working inside on all those connections being replaced and re-learning things little by little. AS long as he keeps that spirit up, he will go far. We are all behind you, and let us remind you not to neglect yourself when it comes to rest and relaxation. I know it feels as if there are not enough hours in the day to get everything done, but you need to recharge too. Don't ever hesitate to accept help when it is offered, and never pass a chance by to enjoy a nice walk or a long bath.

Janet

Old 11-29-2012, 03:42 AM   #7
(male)

Rawle HB User

We are using zolpidem "stilnoct" on my father after me pushing the doctors to start with it.

We see small improvements, but are still on quite low dose 10mg..

Reply Reply