It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Stroke Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2011, 10:16 AM   #1
(male)

Strongamc HB User
Sleeping 24 hours a day after stroke

My mother suffered a left sided ischemic brain stroke a month ago. This is her second stroke, the previous one , 6 years ago was a right sided ischemic brain stoke. She currently sleeps almost 24 hours a day. There are brief periods when she opens her eyes and tracks. When she is awake it usually last from a few seconds, to at most a minute or two. Due to the awake periods I thus wouldn't categorize her as being in a coma. The doctors do not provide any insight except doom and gloom. Does anybody know, what has to happen neurologically for her to awaken? Is this deep sleep due to to swelling on the brain?

Thanks in advance for any insight,

-F

Old 07-02-2011, 10:46 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Positive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB User
Re: Sleeping 24 hours a day after stroke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strongamc View Post
My mother suffered a left sided ischemic brain stroke a month ago. This is her second stroke, the previous one , 6 years ago was a right sided ischemic brain stoke. She currently sleeps almost 24 hours a day. There are brief periods when she opens her eyes and tracks. When she is awake it usually last from a few seconds, to at most a minute or two. Due to the awake periods I thus wouldn't categorize her as being in a coma. The doctors do not provide any insight except doom and gloom. Does anybody know, what has to happen neurologically for her to awaken? Is this deep sleep due to to swelling on the brain?

-F
Hello -F
Can you tell us your mothers age? Is she in the hospital right now? Your mother has now had a stroke on both sides of the brain. To make this simple, The right side is physical and the left side is mental. Every stroke is different, but that is pretty much true. So she has had both sides affected. My side was also my left side. My wife thought I was lost... I could not remember her and other things like that... but it came back after time. I know that with strokes, Dr.'s always give us the worst news, like they did with me too. So don't give up hope. But I will say that age is an issue with a stroke. Our brain has to heal just like a cut or a broken bone. And the older we are, the longer and harder it is for the body to heal itself. I am sure you understand that. But right after a stroke, sleep is very common. So the sleeping should not be an issue, especially if she opens her eyes and looks around is a good sign. If you are able, write back with a little more info and you will find a wonderful forum of caring people to support and help you as much as we can. God Bless you my friend and please write back when you can.

Tim

The Following User Says Thank You to Positive Cynic For This Useful Post:
Strongamc (07-02-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-02-2011, 10:59 AM   #3
(male)

Strongamc HB User

Thanks PC for the encouraging words, my mother is currently in the hospital but is scheduled to come home next week. She is 69 years old, and that the awake periods give us much hope. She has improved quite a bit in the last month. I failed to mention that she fought off 3 infections while in the hospital. She had a UTI, C-Diff and pneumonia. Her white blood cell count is now at normal levels, but she will continue to take the vancomycin for another week to make sure the c-diff has cleared.

Old 07-02-2011, 11:40 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Positive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB User

Hello Friend,
It is very, very encouraging that she is going home!!! I think the infections are a bigger problem in the short time. I think for your job is when she is home is to have patience with her. Don't lose hope. Stroke recovery is a very slow process, but every day is process and we may not see it because most process is going inside her brain. It took me 4-5 months to start to read and write again. She may also have many times of frustration and depression, this is all normal. Her life was basically taken away from her for no reason. So be patient and loving and understanding as you can. She will come around. Don't ever give on hope and always be positive around her. You may think she may not hear you, but I guarantee that she hears you and understands everything you say. Positive vibes are very important.

God Bless,
Tim

The Following User Says Thank You to Positive Cynic For This Useful Post:
Strongamc (07-02-2011)
Old 07-03-2011, 09:11 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

Mulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB User

Hello F and welcome.
You will be so glad you came to this board. Your posts will be answered by such loving and carrying people. But the best thing is everyone here is a stroke survivor or is caring for someone recovering from a stroke. So you will gain alot of information here.
I say, it is never over till its over. Our brains are so sensative and here you have an injury, swelling. It is in panic mode. It needs time to adjust and recoop and heal. My doctors have been very neglectful and I have had to do alot of research on my own. One of the best books I ever read was MY STROKE OF INSIGHT by Jill Bolte Taylor PH.D
It is her personal journey into having a stroke. She was a Brain Scientist at the time of her stroke so you can imagine how much insight she had into what was happening to her. It is a very good read and helped me understand what I was going through.
I know the sleep is a common thread in all strokes. The more severe the stroke it seems the more the sleep. Dont give up it is never over till its over. I am one year in stroke and still improving. I think you will find that is a common thread also on this board. You cant put a time or expectations on someone in stroke recovery. They will tell you and it sounds like your mom is a fighter. Doesnt sound like she has any intentions in giving up.
When she does wake up for just those few moments, smile at her, tell her she is going to be OK. Keep us informed on how your doing and how your mom is doing.
God Bless Mulchie

Last edited by Mulchie; 07-03-2011 at 09:13 AM.

Old 07-03-2011, 04:41 PM   #6
(male)

Strongamc HB User

Mulchie, thanks for the kind words and encouragement. My family will keep an upbeat, positive attitude and work tirelessly until the recovery is complete.

Thanks again,

-F

Old 07-03-2011, 09:35 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User

Hello,

I would also like to share my encouragement and support to your family as you rally around your mother while she recovers from her stroke. Our brains are amazing at both protecting and repairing themselves. I am a survivor of 4 simultaneous strokes, that were devastating to my organs, but I have survived and thrived. The sleep is essential to healing, as well as lots of time for the connections to be remade. We are happy you have found us and please feel free to ask any other questions you have.

Janet

Old 01-02-2012, 07:33 PM   #8
(female)

Worried3 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positive Cynic View Post
Hello -F
Can you tell us your mothers age? Is she in the hospital right now? Your mother has now had a stroke on both sides of the brain. To make this simple, The right side is physical and the left side is mental. Every stroke is different, but that is pretty much true. So she has had both sides affected. My side was also my left side. My wife thought I was lost... I could not remember her and other things like that... but it came back after time. I know that with strokes, Dr.'s always give us the worst news, like they did with me too. So don't give up hope. But I will say that age is an issue with a stroke. Our brain has to heal just like a cut or a broken bone. And the older we are, the longer and harder it is for the body to heal itself. I am sure you understand that. But right after a stroke, sleep is very common. So the sleeping should not be an issue, especially if she opens her eyes and looks around is a good sign. If you are able, write back with a little more info and you will find a wonderful forum of caring people to support and help you as much as we can. God Bless you my friend and please write back when you can.

Tim
Hello, two weeks ago my father had a stroke and now he sleeps for pretty much the entire day. I try to visit him as often as possible, but it's hard because I am still in school. He doesn't seem to recognize my family and we can't be sure because his speech is mumbled. After reading your post, I feel less scared and more hopeful. I'm still worried that he's getting thinner though, especially on his left side which he can't move. I'm confused and I want him home...

Last edited by Worried3; 01-02-2012 at 07:34 PM.

Old 01-03-2012, 12:10 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

Dear Worried3,
I am so sorry about your father. Try not to worry too much if you can. 2 weeks from a stroke is nothing as far as recovery. It takes years to get back. I am sorry, but that is the truth. So his sleeping, confusion, and mumbling are normal. I know it hurts for you to see him this way, but just talk to him and tell him you love him and hold his hand. He may understand more that you think, but he just can't respond back. So talk to him normal, and be positive about the whole situtation. It took me a whole week to remember my wife's name. So don't worry. The doctor's will give you the worst scenario, that is their job I think. Just know that it is a very long process to recovery from a stroke. But patience and love are a big key of the whole thing.
God Bless you my friend,
Tim

Old 01-04-2012, 06:56 PM   #10
(female)

Worried3 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positive Cynic View Post
Dear Worried3,
I am so sorry about your father. Try not to worry too much if you can. 2 weeks from a stroke is nothing as far as recovery. It takes years to get back. I am sorry, but that is the truth. So his sleeping, confusion, and mumbling are normal. I know it hurts for you to see him this way, but just talk to him and tell him you love him and hold his hand. He may understand more that you think, but he just can't respond back. So talk to him normal, and be positive about the whole situtation. It took me a whole week to remember my wife's name. So don't worry. The doctor's will give you the worst scenario, that is their job I think. Just know that it is a very long process to recovery from a stroke. But patience and love are a big key of the whole thing.
God Bless you my friend,
Tim
Thank you, Tim. I am grateful for your advice and support and I will try my best. Thanks again.

Old 01-07-2012, 10:23 PM   #11
(female)

Babybuuumer HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strongamc View Post

-F
i'VE BEEN AWAY FROM THE BOARDS FOR AWHILE, SO NOT SURE IF YOU'LL EVEN SEE THIS REPLY ON THE SUBJECT OF SLEEPING SO MUCH.

OMGOSH, THE FATIGUE AFTER A STROKE IS INDESCRIBABLE. THUS, SHE SLEEPS. I THINK SLEEP HEALS. THE HOSPITAL WOULDN'T ALLOW ME ANY REST. GEEZ. COULDN'T WAIT TO GET HOME. SO FATIGUED, STILL UNABLE TO SLEEP BUT CRAVED TO.

The following user gives a hug of support to Babybuuumer:
Positive Cynic (01-08-2012)
Closed Thread