It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Stroke Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-03-2011, 11:17 AM   #1
Inactive
(female)

Mulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB User
Help me with Problem

Would really appreciate everyones info.
I started walking . I would put my brace on which kept the drop foot in place and helped support my knee. With walker or cane ( depending on my balance that day) I would head out and try to do 2 steps more than I had the day before. Even though my distance was small I felt stronger. The swelling was down in my legs I know my circulation was better and my breathing and my whole body seemed a little stronger. Then the hip pain increased (stroke pain) got so bad nothing I did would ease the discomfort. The pain was in the hip straight down the leg and into the foot. It would keep me up all night, every night. As soon as I was off my feet it would come. When I took one week and stopped walking the pain during the night eased up considerably. Made sleeping better. I was taking physio on my leg, The fellow said the muscles are all ok they just needed to be strengthen so he would put me through exercises. The exercises made me feel sick, dizzy and neauseated. And they set me back in energy. He was confused and wasnt sure why I would feel that way. Made some comment about these symptoms being like a head injury and stood there looking confused so I stopped going. My theory is its not the muscles I should work on but allowing the brain to heal so it will mend and make the leg work better so walking to me was the best type of exercise I could come up with. I did not feel neauseated or dizzy but it did tax my energy but I felt it was worth the energy. I felt liberated the day I reached the end of the driveway. But now I cant because of hip pain. Im confused dont know if I should just keep walking and ask for something strong for pain, or should I stop walking and try again in a few months. I find it very frustrating. I worry about my circulation. I worry about stressing out the brain at a time its trying to heal. But I see stroke survivors all the time on T.V or in books being pushed to move and become mobile. I have talked to others on the board about hip pain but not in regards to solutions for myself. If anyone has any ideas I would greatly appreciate it.
Thanks God Bless
Mulchie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-03-2011, 12:32 PM   #2
(female)

kel61 HB Userkel61 HB Userkel61 HB User
Re: Help me with Problem

aww geez mulchie,
I wish I had a solution, but all I can tell you is what helps my husband with shoulder and arm pain. I would think it would apply to leg and hip too?
I would be concerned about circulation too, and I DO think it is important to keep up with exercise/therapy.
I must say, I think that therapist is a total jerk for acting that way. Is there any way you can find a new therapist so you can continue therapy?

You mentioned swelling in your leg? Brian(hubby) gets swelling in his hand and up his arm sometimes which makes it more painful and he can barely close his hand when it's like that. One of his therapists showed me how to massage his hand and it really brings the swelling down.
Funny thing is he had that swelling for quite some time and we had asked the doctors about it and not one of them until this certain therapist ever suggested massage. It was unbelievable how much the swelling went down the very first time she massaged his hand and up his arm. Starting at the fingertips and working up. I mention this thinking maybe massage might help your leg and hip pain and motion?
The hip pain could very well be because the joint is freezing up on you. Brian's shoulder gets that way, especially at night and we have found that doing some range of motion/stretching type exercises along with massage helps ease the pain. Just my helping him lift his arm up as far as he can without too much of a pulling sensation helps.
Is there someone that can help you with exercises at home?

Last edited by kel61; 07-03-2011 at 12:34 PM.

Old 07-03-2011, 03:10 PM   #3
(female)

ennbee HB Userennbee HB Userennbee HB Userennbee HB Userennbee HB Userennbee HB User

Dear mulchie: my physio felt it was a knee problem..esp. if knee was rotated to the left. So a few more exercises and support for my knee when in bed.

Hoping you find some relief from it soon.

With every good wish,

Nancy

Old 07-03-2011, 05:09 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Positive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB User

God Bless you buddy,
Tim

Last edited by Positive Cynic; 07-03-2011 at 05:10 PM.

Old 07-03-2011, 09:29 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User

I do not feel qualified to answer your question, but I do offer my encouragement to keep pushing in spirit. Our body will follow,

Love janet

Old 07-04-2011, 03:51 PM   #6
(male)

coupe HB Usercoupe HB Usercoupe HB Usercoupe HB Usercoupe HB Usercoupe HB Usercoupe HB Usercoupe HB Usercoupe HB Usercoupe HB Usercoupe HB User

Mulchie,I'm very sorry you have to go through this pain. unfortunately, it comes along with having a stroke. it sucks for sure! it sounds to me like your therapist, is just that, a typical physical therapist, who mostly works with sports injuries, knee/hip replacements. a head injury physical therapist, has much more training, more schooling, it's a more specialized profession. if I remember Right? your stroke was only a short time ago 2 1/2 months or so? I think you are doing great in your endeavor to improve yourself. walking is good exercise, is good for you all around. as I've said before I'm no doctor, nor am I a therapist. but, in my 18+ years of recovery, my best guess is, I've had somewhere between 4&5 thousand hours of physical therapy! it's all hard and tiring. of the many,many exercises I was told to do, I can't remember any that caused me to be physically ill or sick, just tired and sore. in fact the best therapist I went to had a PHD in physical therapy his practice was named "sore physical therapy" he specialized head injuries. please remember this, s your brain is trying it's best to heal, you are also trying to teach your brain or retrain it. the parts of your brain not damaged, knows what it is doing. the pains you have are from the nerves sending signals to your brain, your brain interprets it as pain, and lets you know something is wrong! the muscles in your leg/hip/knee are not working right. I've had that knee pain and it hurts especially in bed. during the day it wasn't excruciating mostly just annoying. I had one doctor tell me I was heading to a knee replacement, I told him " as long as the pain didn't get any worse I wasn't about to have a knee replaced that didn't work anyway!" so he put my leg in a brace that went from my foot to my thigh, only bending at the ankle and knee. I wore that about two years, it kept my foot/knee/hip in correct position and it helped a lot. i gave it up a few years ago.

it's very hard for people to understand, even doctors, that after a stroke, we the affected ones, must concentrate and think about every move we make! my old primary doctor had me walk one time with my cane, then asked me to let go of the cane and walk. I could walk without it but very slowly and unbalanced. he asked me why I slowed down? I told him I had to think about every step I took. he took me back into the office and took my wife for a walk. they came back in and he asked her if she had to think about it? as he didn't! she said no. I told them both "you didn't have a stroke!" they just can't understand? I never saw that doctor again. I've still got a pain in my left affected knee and a pain in my left butt cheek, I can't seem to get rid of but they're not unbearable, not even anything I complain about. other than those I feel pretty good. oh and a slight pain in my left neck at top of my shoulder.

my suggestions to you are, keep walking, build your endurance as best you can. the average person walks between 3 1/2-4 miles per hour? it takes me 1 1/2 hours to walk 1/4 mile! I'm just happy I can walk that far.

whe you walk, concentrate! watch yourself as you walk, keeping your foot straight toes straight ahead, your knee pointing straight ahead of you, not leaning in or out, keep your posture good, try not to favor your left side or right, I can't remember your affected side sorry, meaning try not to hip hike when walking, keep your steps even and comfortable, don't try long steps! step with your good foot then follow through with your bad foot trying to bend your foot as much as you can with each step. making sure your leg is in a straight line from your hip to your foot keeping equal weight on each leg. you'll find it's easier to walk than to stand still. it takes 300 muscles to stand still balancing, less muscles are used to walk! some days you can't take that one additional step? that's OK, tomorrow you might? each additional step is progress. for every extra step going means one extra step coming back, that's two steps of progress. yes, you will get tired even exhausted. so rest when you get back and call it a day, everyone has their limits even triathletes and marathon runners reach their limit! you'll get sore, that means you're working hard and doing the unordinary. it's slow for sure but it Will get better, takes time lots of it, but gets better!

I hope I've helped just a bit?

good luck and god bless

Larry/coupe

The following user gives a hug of support to coupe:
Mulchie (07-05-2011)
Old 07-04-2011, 07:17 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

Mulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by coupe View Post
Mulchie,I'm very sorry you have to go through this pain. unfortunately, it comes along with having a stroke. it sucks for sure! it sounds to me like your therapist, is just that, a typical physical therapist, who mostly works with sports injuries, knee/hip replacements. a head injury physical therapist, has much more training, more schooling, it's a more specialized profession. if I remember Right? your stroke was only a short time ago 2 1/2 months or so? I think you are doing great in your endeavor to improve yourself. walking is good exercise, is good for you all around. as I've said before I'm no doctor, nor am I a therapist. but, in my 18+ years of recovery, my best guess is, I've had somewhere between 4&5 thousand hours of physical therapy! it's all hard and tiring. of the many,many exercises I was told to do, I can't remember any that caused me to be physically ill or sick, just tired and sore. in fact the best therapist I went to had a PHD in physical therapy his practice was named "sore physical therapy" he specialized head injuries. please remember this, s your brain is trying it's best to heal, you are also trying to teach your brain or retrain it. the parts of your brain not damaged, knows what it is doing. the pains you have are from the nerves sending signals to your brain, your brain interprets it as pain, and lets you know something is wrong! the muscles in your leg/hip/knee are not working right. I've had that knee pain and it hurts especially in bed. during the day it wasn't excruciating mostly just annoying. I had one doctor tell me I was heading to a knee replacement, I told him " as long as the pain didn't get any worse I wasn't about to have a knee replaced that didn't work anyway!" so he put my leg in a brace that went from my foot to my thigh, only bending at the ankle and knee. I wore that about two years, it kept my foot/knee/hip in correct position and it helped a lot. i gave it up a few years ago.

it's very hard for people to understand, even doctors, that after a stroke, we the affected ones, must concentrate and think about every move we make! my old primary doctor had me walk one time with my cane, then asked me to let go of the cane and walk. I could walk without it but very slowly and unbalanced. he asked me why I slowed down? I told him I had to think about every step I took. he took me back into the office and took my wife for a walk. they came back in and he asked her if she had to think about it? as he didn't! she said no. I told them both "you didn't have a stroke!" they just can't understand? I never saw that doctor again. I've still got a pain in my left affected knee and a pain in my left butt cheek, I can't seem to get rid of but they're not unbearable, not even anything I complain about. other than those I feel pretty good. oh and a slight pain in my left neck at top of my shoulder.

my suggestions to you are, keep walking, build your endurance as best you can. the average person walks between 3 1/2-4 miles per hour? it takes me 1 1/2 hours to walk 1/4 mile! I'm just happy I can walk that far.

whe you walk, concentrate! watch yourself as you walk, keeping your foot straight toes straight ahead, your knee pointing straight ahead of you, not leaning in or out, keep your posture good, try not to favor your left side or right, I can't remember your affected side sorry, meaning try not to hip hike when walking, keep your steps even and comfortable, don't try long steps! step with your good foot then follow through with your bad foot trying to bend your foot as much as you can with each step. making sure your leg is in a straight line from your hip to your foot keeping equal weight on each leg. you'll find it's easier to walk than to stand still. it takes 300 muscles to stand still balancing, less muscles are used to walk! some days you can't take that one additional step? that's OK, tomorrow you might? each additional step is progress. for every extra step going means one extra step coming back, that's two steps of progress. yes, you will get tired even exhausted. so rest when you get back and call it a day, everyone has their limits even triathletes and marathon runners reach their limit! you'll get sore, that means you're working hard and doing the unordinary. it's slow for sure but it Will get better, takes time lots of it, but gets better!

I hope I've helped just a bit?

good luck and god bless

Larry/coupe

Old 07-04-2011, 07:36 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

Hi Larry
Your post was very helpful and I thank you. Im glad you mentioned there are therapists who are trained in brain injury. That is who I need to see. I didnt think it was right that the therapy was making me dizzy, neaseated and sick. I also told you before the one doctor told me to get my brace off. But it really helps so I am wearing it. It seems to take the pressure off my knee when I walk. However, I still have the delemma of the sleepless nights because of the pain. I think the walk is so important like you said. It is the best exercise for the leg. I see my neurologist on July 15 so I will ask for his opinion on medication for the pain at night. It is strange how the pain comes worse at night. During the day I can tolorate it no problem, but the minute I get off my feet it intesifies and becomes a real problem. My girlfriend says I should get the memory foam for my bed she said it is fantastic for hip pain. So I might do that too.
I think that was terrible what that doctor did when he asked your wife to walk outside. OH boy, the neglectful care its probably one of the hardest things I have had to deal with is the reality that I received horrible care. They sent me home from hospital when I was still in full blown stroke. Even 3 months before my stroke my doctor took me off asprin. Why you ask, she said it is not proven to prevent strokes in woman so she had me go off it. Then I had a stroke.
Yes when I walk my balance is a factor like yourself. I am mostly fine with just a cane but sometimes I feel like I am going to fall to the right. In my house I think I have a worn a path on the wall in the hall way. I always fall into the wall and drag my shoulder all the way up the hall. My balance has gotten better and when I am outside the cane seems to give me better balance or at least something to stabalize my footing. I will do what you mentioned about being aware of my foot and knee and posture. I do not do that. MY drop foot is not an issue as long as I have the brace on.
Larry thanks again for the info. Greatly appreciate it and you were very helpful.
God Bless Mulchie

Old 07-05-2011, 01:49 AM   #9
Veteran
(male)

goingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB User

Hi Mulchie,
How you going? I agree with all that Larry/Coupe has said.
Keep your rehab going no matter how little you do each day, DO something.
I wish all the best with your rehab and hope you keep improving.
Its not as easy as it sounds and no one knows how hard it is unless you been there.
God Bless
George..

Last edited by goingtorun; 07-05-2011 at 01:53 AM.

The following user gives a hug of support to goingtorun:
Mulchie (07-05-2011)
Old 07-05-2011, 06:20 AM   #10
Inactive
(female)

Smile Re: Help me with Problem

Thank you George
I think your right. Keeping with some type of exercise is a must. It can be so easy to just give up and give in to so much confusion. My husband says if your in the mud and you keep moving forward you will eventually get out of the mud. If you stop, you sink. I guess that is the truth. I feel so guilty about not walking before the stroke and I had every opportunity to do so. I could have been healthier and didnt choose that route. Now it seems I want to walk so badly and it is such a battle. Pain or no pain I am going to keep trying to walk every day. I am also going to try and find a physio therapist like Larry mentioned. A therapist with knowledge on brain injury and strokes.
Thanks again George for your post, it is very encouraging to hear from everyone. It is a little light in my day when I come to my computer and see a post. Thank you God Bless
Mulchie

Last edited by Mulchie; 07-05-2011 at 06:21 AM.

Old 07-05-2011, 11:36 AM   #11
(female)

ennbee HB Userennbee HB Userennbee HB Userennbee HB Userennbee HB Userennbee HB User

All my best always,
Nancy

I lost the beginning...boo hiss.If you let me know where you are I will ask my private neurophysio. if she knows of someone in your area.Mine specializes in stroke and that is what you need. Also ask your neuro to fill out the CRA pages for "disability status on your income tax. It takes 2 mins of their time, if that and grants you a significant deduction at tax time. I was "graduated" too quickly from PT and OT so we hired a neurophysiotherapist privately, who comes to our home. The hospital PT/OT measured by calendar weeks...my brain has a different calendar.

saw a quote you might enjoy "It's bad enough that life is a ***** but she keeps having puppies."

Last edited by ennbee; 07-05-2011 at 11:57 AM.

Old 07-06-2011, 06:21 AM   #12
(female)

nightingale00 HB Usernightingale00 HB Usernightingale00 HB Usernightingale00 HB Usernightingale00 HB Usernightingale00 HB Usernightingale00 HB User

hi, I am helping my 55 year old mu to recoverfrom a stroke, and we use a recumbent excercise bike, bought online for $250, you may get units without the seating cheaper, and mum just wheels up to it and we hook her feet in, and she pedals for 1/2 and hour sometimes more..it a great excercise for the rotation of the joints, and fluid retention, as it is not weight bearing, so less painful, yet still helping to strengthen the muscles, which helps with her walking, which she is still struggling with too.she walks to the toilet most times with her stick, as part of her therapy, even though she mostly is in a wheelchair. the weight bearing part can contribute to the pain, and water therapy can help with this as you may be able to do more, with less pain interfering later on. walk in the water with the rail, but have someone with you incase you lose your balance. Ive also heard that a spinning wheel can be good, to pump with your foot....start with both feet like a mermaid, and when one does it, the other is learning its control from that apparently..helps the brain learn about that foot again..takes a while, but I met someone who had astroke 20 years ago, and she still does it, with no wool, just for the therapy... hope all this helps.

The following user gives a hug of support to nightingale00:
Mulchie (07-07-2011)
The Following User Says Thank You to nightingale00 For This Useful Post:
LauraDuggan (08-04-2011)
Old 07-06-2011, 06:25 AM   #13
(female)

nightingale00 HB Usernightingale00 HB Usernightingale00 HB Usernightingale00 HB Usernightingale00 HB Usernightingale00 HB Usernightingale00 HB User

just for interest, look under strokes board for RECURRING TIA's...that is about my mum, but we talk with another stroke lady of 8 years, abt problems, and lifes joys, and their difficulties,, you may find it useful, funny, and comforting, if your stroke was pretty recent. goodluck.

Old 07-07-2011, 08:44 AM   #14
Inactive
(female)

I never thought about the bike because of my knee but really I should just try it and see what happens. The water therapy is a great idea but I cant stand the noise of the pool or the echo that goes on. My head is still under constant attack with a migrane. On the 15th the doc is going to give me medication that should help with the pain and then maybe I could search the water therapy. I wonder if it would make the leg, knee and foot pain less at night because the water is so much gentler on your joints. I do know from passed years of taking my mom that they do therapy in the water but as I hve said before none of these people seem to know about Stroke and Therapy. You have been more help in your post than any so called professional ...thank you very much.
I think I will research both the bike and water if I can find a quiet time to get in the water and if the meds work. Again thankyou
God Bless Mulchie

Old 07-07-2011, 09:37 AM   #15
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User

Wow, deli, that is very cool, how you are sharing your mother's story on the boards, we are a good family.

Mulchie,

I am inspired from your attitude. It will be the difference between a little, and a lot. I love the water therapy, and the bike ideas. I am lucky enough to have access to a friends pool, it is private and quiet. In the water there is little gravity to hold you down... I love that feeling!

Friends. Janet

Closed Thread