It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Stroke Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-04-2011, 08:46 PM   #1
(female)

bear3926 HB User
Cerebellum Stroke

My mom had a cerebellum stroke about 9 weeks ago, recovery was going great until last week, that is when she began to throw up with any type of movement. Is this normal? Will it pass?

Old 07-09-2011, 07:14 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

Mulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB User
Re: Cerebellum Stroke

I am so sorry to hear what you and your mom are going through. I am no doctor but I am one year in stroke recovery. I did have a lot of neausea and dizzyness with my stroke. It was bad for the first 8 months but has gotten better. I wasnt actually throwing up. Did your mom increase her activity which maybe started the throwing up? Or did she start something new like physio or therapy? Just an idea because My neausea would always increase and get really bad if I was pushing myself too hard. Im sure you will get lots of great advice from the board. Hope your mom's doctor has some answers for you. Good Luck
God Bless Mulchie

The Following User Says Thank You to Mulchie For This Useful Post:
bear3926 (07-09-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-10-2011, 12:04 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User
Re: Cerebellum Stroke

Hello Bear, and welcome to our family of stroke survivors and their loved ones. We are here to help. I am also very sorry to hear of your mothers stroke. I am a survivor of 4 strokes, 8 years ago and continue to heal in different ways even today. It is a lifelong challenge, but with so much opportunity for improvement, ever when we face setbacks along the way.

I too, would mention this to her doctor. There are so many possibilities with each of our strokes being unique. I would also look into her recent past to see if you can think of any thing new that she has added to her diet, her movement, medications, or even things like a stomach flu going around. At this time, you should limit her diet to easy to digest foods, keep her well hydrated, and give her more small meals a day, rather than larger meals that are harder to digest.

Following my strokes I found several things I was now sensitive to that I had never been before. I also developed several seemingly unrelated illnesses and conditions that just happened to start out of the blue.

For example, I now have severe RLS (restless leg syndrome) and severe sleep apnea, both likely connected to the brain injuries I suffered. I developed a severe reaction to heat that I had never experienced before, and that one still affects me terribly. Once I become overheated, I tend to become sick and faint at the drop of a hat. Although mine are not like your mothers we are all different, and can end up with very different things adding to our list of difficulties.

Hopefully this is a phase that will pass with a bit of help, and never return. Nausea is a very common side effect of stroke for many of us, as well as dizziness and many other maladies. Just for me, they were different.

Please feel free to join us any time you have any questions, or need to talk, we are here for you. Being a caregiver for a stroke survivor has it's challenges, and we can help you through just about anything, as between us all, we have an enormous amount of experience in all phases of stroke recovery.

Again, welcome to our group, we are so happy to have you with us/

janet

The Following User Says Thank You to writeleft For This Useful Post:
bear3926 (07-10-2011)
Old 10-09-2012, 03:57 PM   #4
(male)

xxpilot HB User
Cool Re: Cerebellum Stroke

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear3926 View Post
My mom had a cerebellum stroke about 9 weeks ago, recovery was going great until last week, that is when she began to throw up with any type of movement. Is this normal? Will it pass?
Has this issue been resolved by now ? My own experiences resulted in an ER MD writing me a presciption for "Antivert" (generic is Meclizine). Once in a while it worked, but more often it did not. What I've learned on my own: If the nausea was due to postural--such as bending way over to look for something under the bed or whatnot--with vestibular causing the problem, thhat med worked very well and pretty quickly. Long-lasting result.

However, if the cause was cerebellar generated, such as a balance or bright glare induced one. that med did nothing. With the ususal trial and error and self-teaching associated with these cerebellar problems, I eventually discovered that my nausea could be eliminated entirely by not bending my neck and head to extreme limits (Yeah..a slow learner !).

Too, I slowly increased exercise while taking hot shower to slowly yaw my head left & right maybe 10 to 15 times, then slowly tilt it up and down about the same number, and concluded with slowly tipping it to left and right. In essence, akin to pitching, rolling, and yawing an airplane about its three axes. I am no doc and think it would be wise to first consult with one before attempting those exercises.

As a former test pilot I became aware the MD and pilots do not use same definitions for "vertigo". In my jargon I only experienced vestibular problems a few times as related above. I did experience balance issues of non-vestibular origins when I pivoted feet suddenly or upon exiting a dimmly lit room into bright sunshine. No nausea with those . Here's my very best wishes to your mom and to you. Candidly, I have had little to no help within the medical world except for the initial ER personnel who did the initial assessment and came up with TIA diagnosis but stated that the TEE was the definitive test needed. It was all worthless gibberish after that. I sincerely hope you've found competent medical help where you live.

Closed Thread