It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Stroke Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-04-2011, 08:06 PM   #1
(female)

Improving HB User
Question What advice would YOU give...

What advice would YOU give to a new stroke survivor? What do you think is important for them to know right away?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-05-2011, 05:37 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Positive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB User
Re: What advice would YOU give...

Hello Improving!
And welcome. I had to think hard on your question. There are so many things to say. But as I think back when my stroke first happened is that the worst part is behind you. The first 2-3 months were the worst as my brain just felt like mush and I never thought I was going to ever feel any better, but I did slowly. Also just finding and talking to other stroke survivors was a really big help too. Did you have a stroke or is it a loved one that had one? Please stay in touch here.
God Bless,
Tim

Last edited by Positive Cynic; 08-05-2011 at 05:39 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-08-2011, 09:09 AM   #3
(female)

ennbee HB Userennbee HB Userennbee HB Userennbee HB Userennbee HB Userennbee HB User
Smile Re: What advice would YOU give...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positive Cynic View Post
Hello Improving!
And welcome. I had to think hard on your question. There are so many things to say. But as I think back when my stroke first happened is that the worst part is behind you. The first 2-3 months were the worst as my brain just felt like mush and I never thought I was going to ever feel any better, but I did slowly. Also just finding and talking to other stroke survivors was a really big help too. Did you have a stroke or is it a loved one that had one? Please stay in touch here.
God Bless,
Tim

Hello and welcome Improving
Great advice Tim, as usual! I would add investigte all resources available to you.Some will offer less than expected but..looking and asking is free. Like Tim I was pretty useless for the first few months, although apparently while in hospital I was great stand-up comic. My family was great at making home safe for me, and gathering the equipment needed for safe bathooms etc. They also hired a personal care worker for me for 2 mornings a week to help with bathing, dressing, laundry and cleaning. The woman running the agency had a stroke herself about 20 years ago.
We made what I call my "nest" in the living room, so if I was not sleeping well, hubby brought me out here. I have a small table for my laptop and the tv. is off to the left, if I wish it on. Another small table has the phone etc. I have most of my meals here as well, and a nice view over the lake. There is a small bathroom about 30 feet away.
Yesterday was my 8 month anniversary since my stroke and while I had hoped for more progress physically I can manage fairly well on my own for 4-6 hours if hubby is away at work etc. One thing that worked well for us was a wireless doorbell. I could ring if no one was close by and I needed help with the bathroom etc. It worked well if he or my daughters were in the back part of our condo (bedrooms). I have not needed the bell for several months now but it was great at first.
Because I have left side weakness, the bath bench and toilet frames were great. I use a quad cane around home unless I will be standing long enough to get woozy We still have a transport chair for those times which fits nicely in the car trunk. i am home most of the time (my choice) but can manage fairly well if I go carefully . I can do my own showers with help from my bath chair and making easy clothing choices etc. Hardest is my bra but even that is do-able usually.
Take heart, it is all confusing and frustrating now but it WILL get better.
My very best wishes to you and please stay in touch with us (it really helps).
Blessings,
Nancy

Last edited by ennbee; 08-08-2011 at 09:16 AM.

The following user gives a hug of support to ennbee:
Positive Cynic (08-08-2011)
Old 08-08-2011, 09:34 AM   #4
(female)

Alone in Vegas HB UserAlone in Vegas HB UserAlone in Vegas HB UserAlone in Vegas HB UserAlone in Vegas HB UserAlone in Vegas HB User

I'd tell them that when you're tired, rest; when you're upset, cry... and don't try and hold in your feelings... I'd tell them to celebrate your triumps and don't focus so much on your failures... and it does get better eventually...

And I'd tell them to pray, a lot.

Old 08-08-2011, 09:43 AM   #5
(female)

ennbee HB Userennbee HB Userennbee HB Userennbee HB Userennbee HB Userennbee HB User

great advice Alone in vegas !!!!!

Old 08-08-2011, 10:00 AM   #6
(female)

Alone in Vegas HB UserAlone in Vegas HB UserAlone in Vegas HB UserAlone in Vegas HB UserAlone in Vegas HB UserAlone in Vegas HB User

Thanks, I tried to hold all the emotions in... one day... I just cried and screamed for 30 minutes... and then I moved on... lol I learned to celebrate the days when I didn't limp... and not to beat myself up because I dropped a cup!

People say I look and act lilke I didn't have a stroke. I want to say, "yeah be around when I'm trying to get dressed idiot"...

Closed Thread