It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Stroke Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2011, 12:34 PM   #1
(male)

alpha delta HB User
Stroke Rehabilitation, Books

I have a friend whose father had a stroke about a month 1/2 ago. Insurance wouldn't pay anymore, so they had to take him home. He is 80 years old but in excellent health except for this. Normal sugar, high blood pressure, etc.
He is paralyzed on the right side and can't speak, but his mind is in perfect form.
He started to slightly move his leg and has gained feeling in it.

The doctor gave his daughter some physiothrepy instructions to help him and she is whiling to do whatever possible. The father is very determined and persistent to do those things.

Is there a book that can help her to know what and how to do the necessary physiotherapy?

Thank you

The following user gives a hug of support to alpha delta:
writeleft (08-07-2011)
Old 08-07-2011, 10:04 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User
Re: Stroke Rehabilitation, Books

alpha delta,

First of all, let me welcome you to our stroke board, which is a wonderful place for stroke survivors and the ones who love them, which sounds like you. Between our entire group, which we refer to as our family, we have lots of experience in this phase of stroke recovery.

We have many survivors here (and their caretakers) that have lots of information on all phases of stroke, and many of them have gone through intense physical therapy that can help you with the best therapies they have used throughout their recoveries. I am not one who has had typical PT following my strokes, so we will have to wait until one of our members who has knowledge of good rehab comes along. I can already think of several people that will likely come forward to help you.

As far as a book specific to the topic, I am also at a dead end. That is not to say one does not exist, far from it! We just need to do more looking and asking around. Give us a bit of time, and we will hopefully have some more answers for you.

Another part of this picture that has me very interested is your friend is his obvious strong and positive attitude. This is one of the most important parts of stroke recovery. Much of recovery is the belief and the willingness to do whatever it takes to get there. His good attitude is a great sign of his possibilities. I encourage everyone who is around him to carry that positive nature when near her dad.

It is so sad that your friends dad had to go on his own, so soon following his stroke due to a lack of insurance funds to help him further along. It is a blessing that he is in otherwise quite good health, short of his high BP. For that I would encourage your friend to cut salt from his diet, as much as possible. There are lots of hidden salt in so many foods, especially processes foods, that can be eliminated to lower his blood pressure.

I hope you friend can learn as much as possible here, figuring out a routine to do physio with her father. We are here to help, so please ask away, and we will do all we can to get help for your friends dad.

Janet

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-08-2011, 07:03 AM   #3
(male)

glen22222 HB User

Get Stronger After Stroke by Peter levine.

Last edited by moderator2; 08-08-2011 at 07:19 AM. Reason: please do not post a commercial website

Old 08-08-2011, 02:45 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User

Wonderful! Thank you to Glen!

Closed Thread