It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Stroke Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-10-2011, 02:43 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

cryingforever HB Usercryingforever HB Usercryingforever HB Usercryingforever HB Usercryingforever HB Usercryingforever HB Usercryingforever HB Usercryingforever HB Usercryingforever HB Usercryingforever HB Usercryingforever HB User
Grandma has had a stroke.

Shes 90 years old, seemed fit for her age. Her first ever health problem through 90 years of her life.

She had a stroke a few days ago, shes going into rehab to see if her body can work properly or something like that. Her left side keeps going wierd every now and again. Shes going to be in hospital for 3 weeks. Shes got tubes down her throat as she can't eat anything , they said she may choke. They think something in her neck is going on but not sure what. Her vision is blurred alot.

Is this going to get worse or is there a good chance she will recover from this? I am worried , i know nothing about strokes. Feel free to tell me anything or your experiences.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-10-2011, 03:04 PM   #2
(female)

Beecoo HB User
Re: Grandma has had a stroke.

Sorry to hear that! Dont worry to much she is in the best place! My gran had a stroke a few years back and recovered well although now she walks with a stick due to weakness on one side. Your gran will be fine im sure, the faster a stroke is treated the higher chance of recovery! i hope you are ok

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-10-2011, 03:22 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

cryingforever HB Usercryingforever HB Usercryingforever HB Usercryingforever HB Usercryingforever HB Usercryingforever HB Usercryingforever HB Usercryingforever HB Usercryingforever HB Usercryingforever HB Usercryingforever HB User

Thank you for your reply and reassurance. It helps to hear positive things. Glad your gran is doing well aswell. Thanks again. Just dont want to lose her and i need to know what strokes are and why they happen? do you know?

Old 08-10-2011, 03:29 PM   #4
(female)

Beecoo HB User

As far as i know its a bleed in the brain? I dont think anything can prevent them i know its hard but its just one of those things. She will be recieving the treatment thats best for her. No bother

The Following User Says Thank You to Beecoo For This Useful Post:
cryingforever (08-10-2011)
Old 08-10-2011, 09:48 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User

Hello to you cryingforever...I have seen your posts for some time now, on other boards, and I am so sorry to meet again on the stroke board. Anyway, we welcome you to our "family" of stroke survivors and their loved ones.

It sounds as if your grandmother has lead a long and healthy life, and until now very lucky to have great health. There are so many causes for strokes, each on is different, and has a huge array of different effects on the individual who survives a stroke. Much of your grandmothers treatment will be based on what kind of stroke she had, as well as where in the brain the stroke occurred.

One hint I got was that she was going right off to rehab in a few days. That makes me think she is in good shape, as many of us have long hospitalizations to treat many other problems that can arrise with the strokes. It sounds as if your gm does not have the need for long hospitalization, and will get right to work on her rehab. That is good news.

Another clue is that her left side was affected, meaning that the stroke likely happened on her right side, the opposite side of the affliction. That is quite normal. In the first few days, the feeding tube is common as well. As soon as she is able to swallow without danger of choking that tubes will be removed, and you will be able to learn more about her concerns and questions.

Having a stroke is a very scary ordeal. For most of us, it a moment in time that completely changes our lives forever. Two things that really make a difference are time and sleep. The earlier in her stroke recovery is the scariest time of all. The more you can comfort her by stroking her hand or speaking to her in a positive way, the better she will feel. Since she cant talk yet, she can still hear, so keep any conversation very up beat and in good spirits. Assure her that she will be ok, in time. She will need this kind of confidence building and moral support from now on.

Without all the information, we cannot predict her prognosis, but we can be optimistic about what we do know from the little clues her situation has provided us with. Just keep reminding her and yourself, that she is strong, and can do this with your help. Keep your family close together, as this is a time for family bonding and helping each other as much as you can. Pour out the love and take each day at a time. Please feel free to come back for support for yourself, as well and to let us know how she is doing.

Love to you, Janet

Closed Thread