It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Stroke Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-29-2011, 06:37 PM   #1
(female)

lisamb27 HB User
Seizure 3 Months After an Ischemic Stroke

I posted on here earlier in the summer regarding my MIL who had a major right brain stroke on June 5th. She had a craniotomy on June 11th to relieve brain swelling and since that time, she has done quite a bit better, as far as being able to speak coherently and she knows who we are, she is aware of what time it is and has been generally in good shape. On Aug. 24th, she had another surgery to replace the part of the skull that was removed during the craniotomy and came through the surgery well. She was transferred back to the rehab/skilled nursing facility two days after the surgery and has been doing well. Well today, my husband stopped by to visit her and saw that she was kind of looking off to the left and her right leg was kind of spasming. She definitely looked and acted differently from when we had seen her the night before, so he told the staff and they ran in and called 911 because they thought she may have been having another stroke. Luckily, after doing a CAT scan at the hospital, there was no sign of another stroke and so they believe that it was a seizure. Now what I want to know is are seizures fairly common almost 3 months after the initial stroke? Honestly, I don't think anyone before had mentioned the possibility of seizures occurring, so it has been kind of a big surprise to us, but after doing some research, I see that it is a big possibility for a lot of people post stroke. But does having a seizure negate all the progress that she's made following her stroke on June 5th? She still can't walk and is on a feeding tube, but is definitely aware of what's going on, has been talking up a storm and seemed to be getting better but now with this seizure thing, I just don't know what to expect. They put her on anti-seizure meds at the hospital today and she will probably, I assume, have to take these now as part of her daily regimen. It was just really scary because it really seemed like she was having another stroke but this seizure really mimicked one, that's for sure. Again, are these a common part of recovery post-stroke? Just looking for a little clarification...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-31-2011, 02:48 PM   #2
(female)

ennbee HB Userennbee HB Userennbee HB Userennbee HB Userennbee HB Userennbee HB User
Re: Seizure 3 Months After an Ischemic Stroke

seizures are a common effect. My neuro told me that first day I was in hosp. although I have not had any

Old 08-31-2011, 05:41 PM   #3
(female)

lisamb27 HB User
Re: Seizure 3 Months After an Ischemic Stroke

Yes, I have heard that seizures are a common aftereffect of strokes. However, we did find out after another CAT scan that my MIL did have another stroke, this time on the right side of her brain. The sad thing is that she had surgery on Aug. 24th, one week ago, to replace part of her skull that was removed in June when she had her craniotomy and after her surgery, she was sitting up and talking quite well and was sounding great. Even some of the nurses in the ICU unit who remembered her were amazed at how well she was doing. She was transferred back to the skilled nursing facility on the 26th and was fine there and in a nice room, but when my husband came in to visit her on the 29th, she was staring off to the left and looked the same as when she had her first stroke. He told the nurses and they called 911 and she was transported to the hospital ER. From the first CAT scan, it did not look like another stroke and they thought it was a seizure, but they did another CAT scan last night and they did see evidence of another stroke. She has not been responsive since Monday and so today they transferred her over to the hospice part of the hospital. Not sure if any people who to go hospice ever get better at all, but at least this hospice is nice, clean, has great nurses and they are very attentive. We are hoping that she does start to become responsive, in any form, but in the meantime the hospice is treating her very well. It really is amazing how fast someone's condition can turn within a day from doing well to back to square one.

Closed Thread