It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Stroke Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2011, 06:16 PM   #1
(female)

maineiac HB User
Stroke or Seizure??

My 85 year old Father had a Transient ischemic attack last year. Three months ago he start having these spells where his arms and legs shake uncontrollably. His arms are basically swinging around and legs are jumping. I had him at the ER with this and they said it was a panic attack. He was getting them maybe once a week. Now this is happening every 2-3 days. These attacks last about 15-20 minutes. He can hear and speak when this is happening and he says it is not affecting his vision. Does anyone have any ideas on what this might be?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-21-2011, 04:14 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Positive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB User
Re: Stroke or Seizure??

Quote:
Originally Posted by maineiac View Post
My 85 year old Father had a Transient ischemic attack last year. Three months ago he start having these spells where his arms and legs shake uncontrollably. His arms are basically swinging around and legs are jumping. I had him at the ER with this and they said it was a panic attack. He was getting them maybe once a week. Now this is happening every 2-3 days. These attacks last about 15-20 minutes. He can hear and speak when this is happening and he says it is not affecting his vision. Does anyone have any ideas on what this might be?
Hi maineiac,
First I am sorry I didn't get back quicker. I try to write to each post that I can, but especially when I saw no response to you for such a long time, but I was in the hospital for 2 weeks and got home about a week ago from a blood bacteria. But I had a stroke and also have seizures. I am sorry about your dad's condition, but I can say from my experience that he is not having seizures. My seizures are a total blackout and if I am standing when it happens, I fall violently right wherever it happens. My first one, I fell and broke on a glass coffee table (amazingly I wasn't cut!) The other thing is, my first one lasted 8-10 hours. I woke up in the hospital and didn't know why I was there. My second one lasted about 2 hours. If he can hear and speak and see and it lasts 15 minutes I don't think it is a seizure. There is obviously something wrong though. What I would suggest is to do for him what I did. See a nuerologist and get a brain MRI and any other tests. He probably needs some medication. My seizure medication has worked well for me. I want to tell you one other thing that is interesting. You said that his spells started a year after his stroke. Well, my seizures started about a year after my stroke also. Maybe there is some kind of connection there. My neurologist said my seizures where do from my stroke and he called it a ripple that happens to some people. Our brains are continually trying to repair itself and sometimes its synapses will send its messages to the wrong area in the brain and weird things can happen. I wish you and your father the best and if I can help anymore, please ask.
God Bless,
Tim

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-29-2011, 08:35 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

Mulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB User

Hello
I am so sorry to hear about what your Dad is now going through. I agree with Tim insist on an MRI and test to find out whats going on. I am 15 months in stroke recover and I have not experienced this. The whole panic attack idea seems to be a strange diagnosis. Im not sure how some of these medical professionals sleep at night when they are so flip with their ideas. Insist on testing for your dad, he deserves that from those doctors.
Good luck let us know how hes doing.
God Bless Mulchie

Old 09-30-2011, 04:50 PM   #4
(female)

maineiac HB User

Thank you and I agree. These attacks are getting more frequent. This week he fell down a flight of stairs during one of these 'attacks'. I told the ambulance workers and the er docs about these attacks and they totally ignored me. All they did was stitch up his cuts and sent him on his way. I think they are blowing him off because of his age. I have made a follow up with his regular doc and will demand some testing. I do feel like he is having strokes.

Old 09-30-2011, 05:30 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

Mulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB User

Good for you and your right insist on tests. If you ask your doctor for the tests and he/she says no ask WHY what could you possible say no when it is obvious this man need medical attention.
Your job is not an easy one. Its hard being a care giver for someone and having to demand things that should be offered without any reservations. Ages should have nothing to do with it but your right it does. Your doing the right thing and your dad is lucky your there for him. Good luck keep in touch
God Bless Mulchie

Last edited by Mulchie; 09-30-2011 at 05:31 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to Mulchie For This Useful Post:
maineiac (09-30-2011)
Closed Thread